List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me… It’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul, with Pittonet and Grundy, neither can play forward…

We need an athletic KPF who can ruck, to combine with TDK
Just maybe that person is already on our list and signing Pitto for the 4 years gives us time to develop him properly in the reserves

Last edited:

Tick.

Good list depth for another year at which time he either continues to grow into a capable best 22 player or he's superceded and he earns a contract elsewhere.

Smart list management.

values are imo of course and if i was doing it again i'd add a fifth and sixth variable: goal / goal assist; and gingerness
View attachment 1803503View attachment 1803504View attachment 1803507

values are imo of course and if i was doing it again i'd add a fifth and sixth variable: goal / goal assist; and gingerness
View attachment 1803503View attachment 1803504View attachment 1803507
Love a good visual representation. Agree on exras. Throw in the defensive stuff like intercepts to balance as well as the goal celebration ability.

Personally, I don't think we've done a fantastic job of integrating the two kpf into the one forward setup.
With the attributes the two have, with a more fluid setup between CHF & FF we're more than capable of tearing defences apart & getting both H & C firing.
Most of the time (this year) it’s been Charlie’s brilliance that’s helped the most. In 2021 (?) it was H.

Occasionally they’ve teamed up well but not often enough. I’m not sure it’s a problem with them two. I think it’s more dependent on how well our running players deliver into f50.

And I agree there is plenty of scope to improve and that would be even more scary for defenders.

For me… It’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul, with Pittonet and Grundy, neither can play forward…

We need an athletic KPF who can ruck, to combine with TDK…
Or maybe TDK is getting better (& bigger) and Pitto just needs to take the next step as a part time forward.
He is a very good tap ruck, and he doesn't have to play the athletic role, but he does have to impose himself in all of the forward contests and start clunking/slotting a few. If both of them can ruck and go forward then we have the most dangerous ruck combo in the comp.

Take a look at our out of contract players over the next few years. This is the final year our main list changes will be greater than the AFL gazetted minimum of three.

There is “wriggle room” this year, but arguably not much.

Next year’s OOC consist of current rookies O’Brien, Mirkov, Boyd, Cincotta, Cottrell, O’Keeffe and Cat B Akuei.

Then we have to trade or delist three from the main list which currently has only Carroll, Martin, Durdin and Owies out of contract. How many of them will we be happy to part with? Anyone find three?

We have to manipulate our “expendable” player list for next season. I am wracking my brain trying to pre empt how they will do that, let alone for the ensuing seasons.

Current “favourites” for delisting are Plowman, Honey and Philp, and many would like to see one or more of them retained.

Fogarty, Cuningham and Marchbank along with the three above are possibles for single year contracts with possible triggers for extension. They may provide expendable options for next year, but are just as likely to consolidate and command larger contracts.

The next is promote rookies this year who would possibly then face delisting the following year. O’Brien rumoured to be gone at the end of this season. Mirkov has his heart issue post surgery, he is contracted and as rules stand, must be elevated, however AFL strongly tipped to allow mid season signings another year as rookies. The same applies to Boyd, under existing rules, must be elevated. Cottrell, Cincotta and O’Keeffe are all contracted for next year and are likely required long term. Cotts must be elevated next year at latest, while Cinc and HOK are allowed two more seasons as rookies.

I have heard rumours that Mirkov will either be delisted/retire, or perhaps placed on AFL Inactive List and play with our VFL group. Absolutely nothing substantiated.

We have to make room on our rookie list for one of the Irish boys. Ed is retiring which will accommodate that. We still need to shed two rookies to return to statutory quotas. Some chance Sam Durdin is delisted, but for mine he should be retained. (If LOB is traded or delisted this may reduce the requirements.)

Contracts or otherwise still in limbo for SOS (re-signing), Dow, Fogarty, Cuningham and Marchbank along with Plow, Honey and Philp. Dow has earned serious consideration for a contract, but both parties may be best served if he takes up an offer elsewhere. It remains hard to see him getting game time if the other mids stay fit. He would do himself a disservice to remain an understudy.

I am thinking we elevate THREE rookies if enough room can be found. Draft numbers two or three. So the ideal for me would be to free up six main list spots. Easier said than done.w

Surely Fish moves for the rumoured sweetheart contract to give us a spot. I am waiting to see how Lewis Young progresses, despite being contracted. If he has somehow checked out or fallen from favour, it would be a good time to trade him with a few clubs wanting KPD players. I rejoiced at Young’s signing and he has done well before the marked decline this year, we can only guess at the real reasons. If they are irreconcilable, then we are best to trade him to somewhere that he is needed. We would gain a list spot and salary cap space, and he would potentially rejuvenate his career.

With Weitering, Kemp, McGovern and Marchbank seemingly ahead in the pecking order, and being happy to play a slightly shorter model, and Durdin as a back up to Weiters, with a utility like Silvagni able to add a tall defensive option, I would rather try to draft the next generation KPD this year. (I also have a belief that Lemmey will be a better defender than forward so would love to see developed him as a genuine swingman.)

We need to fill gaps on our list now, and a young KPD for mine is the biggest gap.

Our list dynamic is a strange one. Spots are at a premium, weak links are few and far between and we will nit be pensioning off to many in the immediate future. After Ed departs our older players will be Newman, Docherty, Saad, Plowman, Williams, McGovern, Martin and Cripps. With the possible exception of Plow, all are arguably at the peak of their powers dependent on health and could conceivably all be around for three or more years. The AFL is discussing incorporating a Veterans List to allow clubs to have a ten year, over thirty player eligible to be playing from outside the main list. Most of our oldies are imports from other clubs. Docherty would become eligible in two years, Crippa would be the next in line after that.

We are going to have a very real situation of no expendable players in ‘24, ‘25, and beyond, yet a requirement to move on three per year.

Austin is going to earn his money, and then some.

Well if we can keep our window open for the majority of this decade, history shows clubs best players tend to keep going longer than they otherwise would, like to 33-34.

Or maybe TDK is getting better (& bigger) and Pitto just needs to take the next step as a part time forward.
He is a very good tap ruck, and he doesn't have to play the athletic role, but he does have to impose himself in all of the forward contests and start clunking/slotting a few. If both of them can ruck and go forward then we have the most dangerous ruck combo in the comp.

At worst Pitt will be Andrew Phillips like backup in the ruck for the next 4 years.

I'm just responding to what you said :p

"A lot of talk of trading to improve our depth this year, but I don't think that will be the club's focus. They will be going all out to get other Acres types who establish themselves as regular best 22 players and push others out of the side.

That's how you improve depth rather than target players to be depth."

If we're going to target Acres-types who establish themselves in the side and push others out, logic dictates that we'd be specific in identifying our needs. Last year it was the wing. I'm curious as to what you think it's likely to be this year - which position can we upgrade by targeting a budget option from another club.

There will be organic change within the existing squad, of course. But the trade/free agency targets will be interesting.

Fogs and Cunners spots is my view, also if Dow goes I wouldn’t be surprised to see an old head brought in

Amazing win tonight and a great revival since mid season. Imo still lacking a genuine gun small fwd/mid sized fwd and 1-2 piercing kicks across the ground.

Would never happen but would genuinely love a Daniel Rioli type if he was happy playing as a pressure fwd again.

images (17).jpeg

Ey Freo. Y'all got any more of those Blake Acres.

Ey Sydney. Y'all got any more of those Nik Newman's.

Two of the all time steals.

Why Acres was so cheap with the quintessential Moneyball scenario - his obvious major flaw is his kicking, and SO much emphasis was put on this two clubs failed to adequately value what he does bring and do well. He's not a star, never will be, isn't a best ~10 player on the list. BUT, he is fit, hard, defensively responsible, etc. Brings a lot to the side, so long as we account for and forgive his diabolical disposal. Also means we can't carry too many others who are poor kicks. We still need to add more class to the side, but Acres more than earns his spot even with his shortcomings.
Acres - when the whips are cracking he’s been gutsy, reliable, well positioned with gut running and key marks/goals/goal-saves and has got it done multiple times, including in these finals. Don’t agree re the bit about disposal - occasional shank kick when snapping at boundary (all players have a bit of this), but also lots of good long down the line kicks when he sets himself most times. I’m guessing He’d be top 10 in the eyes of players and coaches when looking at these recent big games. Gold recruit IMHO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Acres - when the whips are cracking he’s been gutsy, reliable, well positioned with gut running and key marks/goals/goal-saves and has got it done multiple times, including in these finals. Don’t agree re the bit about disposal - occasional shank kick when snapping at boundary (all players have a bit of this), but also lots of good long down the line kicks when he sets himself most times. I’m guessing He’d be top 10 in the eyes of players and coaches when looking at these recent big games. Gold recruit IMHO
Give me another two Acres and I’ll happily put up with all their OOTF’s

Ey Freo. Y'all got any more of those Blake Acres.

Ey Sydney. Y'all got any more of those Nik Newman's.

Two of the all time steals.
Re. (2) - spoke to a swans supporter at Swans final, he couldn’t believe that they let Newman go

Re (1) - don’t think I’ve ever met a Freo supporter

Edit : only joking Freo, it’s a club I dont mind, and a good south Freo history - but boy they’d rue the letting go of Acres & Cerra when they see them starring for us

Last edited:
Agree. For closer in set shots Harry should look at Jack Martin and even Aaron Naughton ( and funnily enough Warwick Capper ) who line it up, run in straight only a few steps and keep it all very compact.

Harry is all over the shop twiddling the ball etc. Seems he’s trying to stay relaxed but not focused on the mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also throw in the Kanga's Nick Larkey's very simple kicking with a minimal run up and a short ball drop as an excellent
kicking and very accurate technique and we shouldn't overlook own Charlie's kicking technique.

We need an athletic KPF who can ruck, to combine with TDK…
We have one, but he needs more development :)

The Elijah Hollands rumours keep on circling, HUN reporting we are prepared to offer the Suns a future pick for him (2nd rounder I assume)
I would be very happy with that valuation if it got it done. He has potential to be a top 10 player for us, also has a massive chance of being a bust imo but worth the risk and next to Ollie it's sure to drive both of them to strive for success together.

I'm definitely keen on a forward who can go on the ball. I think that is our weakness. We improved immensely by adding Cuningham and Fogarty for this role and neither are that great in the middle.

I think this season we are fielding a very tall and heavy side. If we can keep our list together I reckon we will go with more of a pacey running side. Hollands maturing. Fisher if he stays developing more at half back. Williams could be interesting, does he have a forward game? Could he play a bit forward and a bit mid?

I'd like to see us give Dow a run as a forward mid next season and Docherty a role in the back pocket but going on the ball at times. Try and really get our rotations up in the middle without ever losing quality in there. Would also like to see us explore developing Fisher as a half back a little bit more, he just has it. I think we could become the number one offensive side in the league with moves like this.

We have a great list. I just hope that we can keep it together and keep finding those small increments of improvement.

Here's a question. If Liam Jones was still on our list would he be playing? I think this week against Hipwood and Daniher he definitely would.

Maybe if we can fine one, a tall key position size but athletic key defender could be a need. The thing is Liam Jones types don't grow on trees.

I definitely think that a forward who can go into the middle and have a high impact is a need. That probably is our number one.

Left field thought. If Boak is desperate to play on and Dow goes I wonder if we bring him in for a year with a view to transitioning to coaching. Can play the Curnow role from this year either being sub, providing leadership in the reserves or a starting onballer in case of injuries. Obviously he would need to be happy to play that role. Has a relationship with Vossy.

Probably depends on list spots but I would take him for the midfield depth over a pick in the 70s.

Re. (2) - spoke to a swans supporter at Swans final, he couldn’t believe that they let Newman go

Re (1) - don’t think I’ve ever met a Freo supporter

Edit : only joking Freo, it’s a club I dont mind, and a good south Freo history - but boy they’d rue the letting go of Acres & Cerra when they see them starring for us
Go read some of the stuff they say about Carlton and you as a Carlton supporter.....

3 spots id be looking at,

Pacey Medium defender - id say an upgrade on Cincotta, not saying hes done anything wrong but i feel he could be upgraded on in most aspects.

A Midfielder with pace to burn, i feel we are a slightly one paced midfield. We dont have any line breakers at all.

Another medium fwd. Jack martin with a new set of calves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back