List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Article on zerohanger has us as one of four clubs interested in Melbournes James Harmes.

I’ve always thought he was solid, surprised he has only played 9 games this year.

Not advocating for picking him but I hope Austin is looking at similar pick ups like Acres.

Ok cheers!

I still think that it is a bit odd that you don’t grow up supporting the team that your old man played for.

I guess if generations have supported a club etc…..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Their father played 8 games prior to either of them being born.
I'd imagine that there would be a stronger connection to SA footy than the Tigers. (Eli was a Crows fan iirc)

Article on zerohanger has us as one of four clubs interested in Melbournes James Harmes.

I’ve always thought he was solid, surprised he has only played 9 games this year.

Not advocating for picking him but I hope Austin is looking at similar pick ups like Acres.

Always been more partial to Neale-Bullen, myself.

Harmes is fine as a footballer, but he's predominantly a midfielder and I don't see how he jumps straight ahead of both Kennedy and Hewett who most here already have fighting it out for one spot (behind Cripps, Walsh and Cerra....and maybe even Doc).

Now, that being said - Harmes is 27yo and an unrestricted free agent. So if he's not getting big offers and is wanting to move to another contending club in Victoria where he's going to have to work for a starting spot...I'll take him. If nothing else, he'd offer immediate relief in the depth chart should Dow move on. He's not exactly the same type of player, but he's a strong body, with a bit of strength on the burst, and he can drift forward for the odd goal. He also posts pretty consistent tackle stats, which might appeal to us as well. I could even see a scenario where he replaces Fogarty or Cunners in the current 22 as a high forward who pushes into the midfield.

If Harmes is leaving Melbourne for more opportunity, I'm not sure Carlton is the place for him. His best bet is a defensive half forward role. I quite like him though and think he should be playing senior football.

Last edited:
Outside of goal kicking, Harry’s game has improved on nearly every level, the downside is his goal kicking has turned to crap and to me it’s purely mental.

Harry is on big money and with big money comes expectation and rightfully so.

At the seasons end the club needs to sit down with Harry and find a solution to what is going on, regardless of how he is going up the ground, Harry has a problem, but it’s one that hopefully can improve.

As many people have said, you lose confidence, you don’t lose ability.

With all due respect to your opinion on Harry's wayward kicking being 'purely mental' I beg to differ as I believe his problem is mainly technical. If you look at the goal he missed from the set shot in front V. the Swans, Harry isn't facing the goals square on, but rather with his left shoulder pointing towards the right hand point post and when he follows through, his left leg swings to the right and that is where the ball ends. I'm sure he practices the correct routine at training, but on match day, the correct pre kick set up goes missing.

And as for the goal he missed from the goal square, for some unknown he uses the modern day inane kicking technique of trying to dribble the ball through the goals, bringing into the unknown variable of the oblong shaped ball bouncing the wrong way off the ground. Please tell me, what is wrong with kicking the ball through the goals on the full ???

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all due respect to your opinion on Harry's wayward kicking being 'purely mental' I beg to differ as I believe his problem is mainly technical. If you look at the goal he missed from the set shot in front V. the Swans, Harry isn't facing the goals square on, but rather with his shoulder pointing towards the right hand point post and when he follows through, his left leg swings to the right and that is where the ball ends. I'm sure he practices the correct routine at training, but on match day, the correct pre kick set up goes missing.

And as for the goal he missed from the goal square, for some unknown he uses the modern day inane kicking technique of trying to dribble the ball through the goals, bringing into the unknown variable of the oblong shaped bouncing the wrong way off the ground. Please tell me, what is wrong with kicking the ball through the goals on the full ???
Aim for the goal umpire (not aggressively) as if you’re passing it, not the dribble kick. Was bemused at that effort, good way to reduce your odds.

Always been more partial to Neale-Bullen, myself.

Harmes is fine as a footballer, but he's predominantly a midfielder and I don't see how he jumps straight ahead of both Kennedy and Hewett who most here already have fighting it out for one spot (behind Cripps, Walsh and Cerra....and maybe even Doc).

Now, that being said - Harmes is 27yo and an unrestricted free agent. So if he's not getting big offers and is wanting to move to another contending club in Victoria where he's going to have to work for a starting spot...I'll take him. If nothing else, he'd offer immediate relief in the depth chart should Dow move on. He's not exactly the same type of player, but he's a strong body, with a bit of strength on the burst, and he can drift forward for the odd goal. He also posts pretty consistent tackle stats, which might appeal to us as well. I could even see a scenario where he replaces Fogarty or Cunners in the current 22 as a high forward who pushes into the midfield.
Harmes is a good solid player but his achilles is his disposal. It's well below average. It's a bit like his body goes faster than his brain. Doesn't stop him from being a good depth player but does stop him from being a must have.

Him and his family have always been huge demon fans though. Would have to be dragged out of there screaming and kicking.

Harmes is a good solid player but his achilles is his disposal. It's well below average. It's a bit like his body goes faster than his brain. Doesn't stop him from being a good depth player but does stop him from being a must have.

Him and his family have always been huge demon fans though. Would have to be dragged out of there screaming and kicking.
Seemingly he & Tomlinson on the way out. + Grundy to SYD if they allow.

I like his speed and aggression. Can't have too much of that on the list and at 27 he's in the right age bracket.

Prefer the idea of Elijah Hollands though. Wouldn't cost a high draft pick in a trade as he was playing a fair bit of VFL. Suns are after points anyway.

Philps, Plow, Ed, Honey and IMO Sam Durdin all likely delisting's.

Add to this Dow more than likely going (😢) will give our recruiters and list management
team so much scope.

We have signed Fish for 2 years so I really can't see him going anywhere as all the talk suggests.

If he does well we get another draft pick/trade as we won't let him go for nothing.

Similar with LOB, he will go for opportunity and get an offer somewhere more than likely
but wouldn't expect much in return, but hey .....something better than nothing.

Very exciting what we could add to what is already a very strong list.

So while we won't get much back for the ones listed here in terms of high draft picks it is the spots that open up and create a fresh chance that is the key and who knows ........with all these spots odds are we could snag a few good ones from somewhere out there .

Go to it recruiters.......this is where you will prove your worth and could set us up big time if you can get it right.

LIFE IS LIKE A BOX OF CHOCALATES :thumbsu:

PS. Gotta sign JSOS, perfect time to do it this week if he is coming back into the team surely.

Last edited:
Seemingly he & Tomlinson on the way out. + Grundy to SYD if they allow.
Just shows that you can't keep a list spot and pay reasonable money to players who are just break in case of emergency types who are a genuine chance to get a game elsewhere.

Might be similar with Fisher and Dow for us.

Tomlinson and Harmes would be best advised to look at clubs with holes in their list. Plenty of said holes at windy Hill.

Just shows that you can't keep a list spot and pay reasonable money to players who are just break in case of emergency types who are a genuine chance to get a game elsewhere.

Might be similar with Fisher and Dow for us.

Tomlinson and Harmes would be best advised to look at clubs with holes in their list. Plenty of said holes at windy Hill.

Yep, cash for the clubs & opportunity for the players before the end comes around quicker than they thought.

Be interesting if we signed up all our players with the CBA increases taken into account for their contracts. Vosso @ * (formerly of WCE) doesn’t like to write that in as his MO when dishing out contracts.

Tomlinson was rumoured to be looking at WBD.

I've banged on about it earlier in this thread, but Hollands would be a great get - fits our list needs and profile. Still only 21yo, so still has lots of room to develop in the right environment. Mid/forward with plenty of x factor.

I'll get shot down for this, but I wouldn't care that much if our future 1st was on the table as part of a deal to secure him (he is still contracted). With the Campo boys all but committed in next year's draft, we'd just need points rather than picks - similar to GCS this year. And list spots over the next few years are going to be at an absolute premium, so we may only take 2 picks in the ND anyway - similar to this year.

Say, our future 1st for Hollands and their future 2nd. Fish to North for their pick 39, Dow to Saints for future 3rd.

This year we bring in Hollands, Duffy, Monahan, 1st round selection, pick 39 selection.

In the 2024 draft, we have our 2nd round pick, GCS 2nd rounder, our 3rd round pick and Saints 3rd round pick - which should give us plenty of points for the Campo's.

I've banged on about it earlier in this thread, but Hollands would be a great get - fits our list needs and profile. Still only 21yo, so still has lots of room to develop in the right environment. Mid/forward with plenty of x factor.

I'll get shot down for this, but I wouldn't care that much if our future 1st was on the table as part of a deal to secure him (he is still contracted). With the Campo boys all but committed in next year's draft, we'd just need points rather than picks - similar to GCS this year. And list spots over the next few years are going to be at an absolute premium, so we may only take 2 picks in the ND anyway - similar to this year.

Say, our future 1st for Hollands and their future 2nd. Fish to North for their pick 39, Dow to Saints for future 3rd.

This year we bring in Hollands, Duffy, Monahan, 1st round selection, pick 39 selection.

In the 2024 draft, we have our 2nd round pick, GCS 2nd rounder, our 3rd round pick and Saints 3rd round pick - which should give us plenty of points for the Campo's.
I really don't think Hollands is worth involving a 1st round pick. Not talking about what he will become as a player, more about his current trade value.

If we were going to trade F1, I'd want to be getting another 1st this year. Maybe we could play around with taking picks (eg Dow, Fisher trades) into the draft to hold for Suns.

Otherwise, it could just be an on-trade of whatever we get for one of those players.

I really don't think Hollands is worth involving a 1st round pick. Not talking about what he will become as a player, more about his current trade value.

If we were going to trade F1, I'd want to be getting another 1st this year. Maybe we could play around with taking picks (eg Dow, Fisher trades) into the draft to hold for Suns.

Otherwise, it could just be an on-trade of whatever we get for one of those players.
If we're looking to trade our future 1st for a 2023 1st, it'd only be for an end of first round pick - which would probably be somewhere into the 20's. Clubs with top 10 picks this year are going to hang onto them for dear life, unless someone is willing to pay overs.

For mine, if we could hypothetically jag Hollands for our future 1st with something back in return, it would be a better outcome than trading in an end of 1st rounder. And to be honest, when I looked at Cal Twomey's phantom draft today, the difference between say pick 20 and pick 30 looks pretty speculative.

Gold Coast should have enough points for their academy boys once they trade out pick 4, so any trade involving Hollands would likely be for future picks.

Are we sure that we need to trade our future first? I could be wrong, but I remember reading that only one of the brothers is currently projected to go earlish, and that was top 15-20 at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back