Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd 100% trade our first next year for that opportunity
Its risky but I would, too.

Firstly, I'm probably more optimistic than most about where we could be next year.

But then, also, I just think its a big advantage to get a year ahead on development. Especially for a KPD. We want as many of this under 20 group in their primes while LDU, Larkey and co still are.

How the f*k does melbourne end up with the number 1 pick? I understand they have freos first but what are they going to offer west coast? If we are into Curtin it does put the eagles in a tight spot
This is why WC needs to deal with us otherwise we take Curtin..

Watson finished with 3 of Caulfields 7 in todays APS Grand Final.

Haileybury win the @APS_Sport Firsts footy grand final with a rousing last quarter comeback.
Caulfield led by as much as 33 before the Bloods stormed back in a game chock full of draft prospects.

If Eagles want Curtin they'll have to take him at 1 simple add that. Why would we nice up to 1 with the fact that we'd most likely be giving other picks with 2 for 1. No point. Giving up most likely 2 good draft picks who will be good players for reid who seems to be over rated and also not the type of player we need is foolish. Take Curtin and mckercher at 2 and 3, if west coast take Curtin at 1 then we cam decide if reid is worth it or we could even shop 2 around to gain even more quality

If Eagles want Curtin they'll have to take him at 1 simple add that. Why would we nice up to 1 with the fact that we'd most likely be giving other picks with 2 for 1. No point. Giving up most likely 2 good draft picks who will be good players for reid who seems to be over rated and also not the type of player we need is foolish. Take Curtin and mckercher at 2 and 3, if west coast take Curtin at 1 then we cam decide if reid is worth it or we could even shop 2 around to gain even more quality
The trade scenarios where we get involved so that Melbourne gets pick one, Eagles pick 2 and we slip back to third are also baffling. Why would we help those two clubs out so much?

Last edited:
We must steer right away from any business with Melbourne FC
In the last few years they have bent us over without lube, with the Ben Brown, Brayden Preuss/ Dom Tyson deals
And the Kosi Pickett/ Tom Powell deal; whilst a bit more to play out, looks like another win to them
Brady buckles like a gimp near them, so best we stay away, thanks but no thanks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

West Coast want Reid, he's the best player in the draft. They could be convinced to part with him but they'd need access to WA talent so most assume that means Curtin to start. It's not a matter of doing them a favour, they want the value of that first rounder. We turned down two top 5 picks and an upgrade for JHF and arguably the buzz around Reid is bigger.

The good thing is if we get involved for Reid (and if we do it's because we want Reid) we have a good commodity in that we very well may draft a WA player if McKay goes. We also have a good trade history with the Eagles, we wouldn't have had the trade we wanted for JHF to get pick 2 in without them slipping back in the draft.

Why is Reid overrated and why is he the type of player we don’t need?

West Coast want Reid, he's the best player in the draft. They could be convinced to part with him but they'd need access to WA talent so most assume that means Curtin to start. It's not a matter of doing them a favour, they want the value of that first rounder. We turned down two top 5 picks and an upgrade for JHF and arguably the buzz around Reid is bigger.

The good thing is if we get involved for Reid (and if we do it's because we want Reid) we have a good commodity in that we very well may draft a WA player if McKay goes. We also have a good trade history with the Eagles, we wouldn't have had the trade we wanted for JHF to get pick 2 in without them slipping back in the draft.
Yeah, my read of the situation (pardon the pun) is that they'll happily take Reid at 1. But if they trade down then they want Curtin.

They might get an offer of 4, 15 and Melb F1 for Reid. But they might prefer 2 and 17 from us because 2 is Curtin while 4 is Duursma or whoever.

Maybe we picked RHJ to trade him back to them 😀

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, my read of the situation (pardon the pun) is that they'll happily take Reid at 1. But if they trade down then they want Curtin.

They might get an offer of 4, 15 and Melb F1 for Reid. But they might prefer 2 and 17 from us because 2 is Curtin while 4 is Duursma or whoever.

Maybe we picked RHJ to trade him back to them 😀
Never explain or apologize for a pun!

This is why WC needs to deal with us otherwise we take Curtin..
If WCE take Curtin at 1. We win tattslotto. We trade 2 to Melb and they take Reid. Melbourne give us Freo 1 and their own first. Plus a future first. If we get 3 for McKay, we go in with 3, freo 1, Dees 1, Port 1. Plus 2 firsts next year....Imagine all that plus Sanders!

The trade scenarios where we get involved so that Melbourne gets pick one, Eagles pick 2 and we slip back to third are also baffling. Why would we help those two clubs out so much?

You don’t do it to help other clubs, you do it to help our club. We just need to be a bit more ruthless on the trade table and only do a deal if it significantly advantages us. None of this pat each other on the back business where we all come out even.

If WCE take Curtin at 1. We win tattslotto. We trade 2 to Melb and they take Reid. Melbourne give us Freo 1 and their own first. Plus a future first. If we get 3 for McKay, we go in with 3, freo 1, Dees 1, Port 1. Plus 2 firsts next year....Imagine all that plus Sanders!
Even with out a future first getting 3, 5, 6, 17 and sanders is a laugh. Would give us he ability to get possibly O'Sullivan Watson and mckercher in those first 3 and Archer reid with ports pick. Sets us up well

Mate I am no ITK but my spidey sense says at this point McKercher is very likely.
Did you see Sanders on Gettable?
Almost unprompted, the guy we're prelisting is there talking about how much the two compliment each other, and how he's hoping they end up on the same AFL list.
There was just something in that sequence that suggested to me he's got confidence that's the way things will pan out.
I suspect and hope we add one of the two talls you mentioned as our third pick, with a KPF from Port's pick.
The only slight issue I have is the genuine flight risk back to Tassie as they enter the peak of their powers. If they're true A Graders at that point, they'd be state heroes down there, with a chance to be C/VC.

Luckily, we'll still have Gavin on board, so they'll be acceptable list-fillers, but not good enough to be poached.....

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Even with out a future first getting 3, 5, 6, 17 and sanders is a laugh. Would give us he ability to get possibly O'Sullivan Watson and mckercher in those first 3 and Archer reid with ports pick. Sets us up well
Yeah...McKercher, O'Sullivan, Sanders and 2 others would be sweet.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I think Hawks would take O’Sullivan before us if this was the case.
If we really want him we take him at 3 as his stocks are rising each game he plays

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Hawks would take O’Sullivan before us if this was the case.
If we really want him we take him at 3 as his stocks are rising each game he plays

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep agreed. For me our first pick whether that be 2 or 3 needs to be Curtin or osullivan. They're both up there as top picks so it's not like we're reaching at all. Ideal situation if we did have 3 5 and 6 would be those 3 players mentioned.

I would be incredibly reluctant to attach next years first to anything unless the outcome was highly weighted in our favour. In fact depending on what comes for McKay, Sanders outcome and any assistance package. I would be inclined to move the port pick for another first next year. With a heavy infusion (hopefully) of top end talent this year. Having two firsts again next year could allow us to be more specific to needs that will remain on our list . Alternatively if we got a spike on the ladder next year earlier than ℹ anticipate the additional first could be very handy to move aggressively into the trade space end of 2024

I would be incredibly reluctant to attach next years first to anything unless the outcome was highly weighted in our favour. In fact depending on what comes for McKay, Sanders outcome and any assistance package. I would be inclined to move the port pick for another first next year. With a heavy infusion (hopefully) of top end talent this year. Having two firsts again next year could allow us to be more specific to needs that will remain on our list . Alternatively if we got a spike on the ladder next year earlier than ℹ anticipate the additional first could be very handy to move aggressively into the trade space end of 2024
We've got a few players coming out of contract next year with some draft capital. It's a lot easier for North to break into the first round than it has been for a while.
2024 seems to be midfield heavy from what I've read, considering that's our strengths in terms of talent, we could probably get away with picking an extra star this year and then go hard for a free agent next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back