Preview 2023 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Has there been any announcement regarding who will fill Harry Taylor's role?
I think DeKoning has done that very well.

But on a serious note, is Harry leaving after only a year?
What have I missed?

It comes quickly.
I'm there now...
Ahh, the mid 60's.
That joyous time in life when the body part that ruled your life from your youth is supplanted by your bladder.

Gotta love the handful of regular Cats posters in here when we are up and down pointing out all the problems, completely ghosting it since winning the flag, but still posting on the main board. Not sure how they could possibly enjoy this sport tbh.

if you‘re reading this thinking I’m talking about you…yeah I probably am.

Gotta love the handful of regular Cats posters in here when we are up and down pointing out all the problems, completely ghosting it since winning the flag, but still posting on the main board. Not sure how they could possibly enjoy this sport tbh.

if you‘re reading this thinking I’m talking about you…yeah I probably am.
'Cats posters', not 'Cats supporters'.

I see what you did there...

Just from the training photos put up on the website this week, O. Henry looks to have added a bit of size already. :muscle:
Saw a few of them during the week and my Hawthorn loving workmate asked immediately how have we built him (OH) up like that in a month🤣🤣 (probably hasn’t hasn’t put on an ounce yet)

Haven't seen anything about number allocations for the new boys as yet (maybe I am not looking hard enough), but I did notice that Oisin is running around in the number 43, so that seems likely to be his new number - any other number sightings?

They are just wearing random tops for now hence clark in 49. Numbers to be announced in january.

I think DeKoning has done that very well.

But on a serious note, is Harry leaving after only a year?
What have I missed?

Harry is going back to WA-family reasons from what i can gather.

Anyone catch this on SEN?

It's not the first time Paddy's gone big... what do we all think about this?

Was gonna post this earlier, seeing as I'm the one who originally (and ironically) compared him to the very player who is now stating the same things.

Love that he's getting big wraps, as Holmesy's upside is just insane. Saw it in his very first 3 BOG VFL games, and just keeps getting better and better with every game. Once he has another couple of pre-seasons and puts on a bit more size, he'll be the complete package.

• Elite endurance
  • Elite speed
  • Excellent user of the ball
  • Good mark
  • Perfect height at 189 for prototypical mid
  • Defensive side to his game
  • Can play multiple positions
  • Tackles well
? Lacking size
? Lacking composure at times
? Could add more goal-kicking

Question marks listed aren't even that bad and can be worked on, and once he has those ticked off, he'll be AA level for mine. From there, sky is the limit. Most players only have one of these elements, but he has most of them.

Danger was a twig when drafted, so that's why I said Danger with better disposal early on (which is essentially Chris Judd), and I stick by it even more now that Danger has affirmed just good he thinks the kid can be.

One of my favourite players to emerge this last 12 months. I hope he continues to build. If he wasn't elite in the back half of 2022 as a winger, then you are both a harsh judge, and not paying enough attention.

It's on him now to continue developing, and the club to find the best roles on the field for him to flourish.
I love the idea that he might be considered the best player in the competition, but the sceptic in me tells me that no matter how much I want that to happen I need to wait and see what his ceiling really is.

Will he be the best player in the competition? Maybe. My 16 YO nephew could also become the best player in the AFL. I doubt it though. Max is a far better bet, but not a sure thing.

Right now I'm just thrilled with what he's already bringing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was gonna post this earlier, seeing as I'm the one who originally (and ironically) compared him to the very player who is now stating the same things.

Love that he's getting big wraps, as Holmesy's upside is just insane. Saw it in his very first 3 BOG VFL games, and just keeps getting better and better with every game. Once he has another couple of pre-seasons and puts on a bit more size, he'll be the complete package.

• Elite endurance
  • Elite speed
  • Good mark
  • Tackles well
? Lacking size

Question marks listed aren't even that bad and can be worked on, and once he has those ticked off, he'll be AA level for mine. From there, sky is the limit. Most players only have one of these elements, but he has most of them.

Danger was a twig when drafted, so that's why I said Danger with better disposal early on (which is essentially Chris Judd), and I stick by it even more now that Danger has affirmed just good he thinks the kid can be.

Agree that he's more likely Judd-like than Danger. Better disposal and I'm not sure he'll ever be the "bull" that Danger can be.

Disclaimer: none of that means he's going to reach the same heights as either or anywhere. Just that he has characteristics that are a little similar.

Next season, it'd be great to see him on the ball more and less on the wing if he's up for it. That said, he is the perfect wing as well and with Smith in his probably last season... wish we had two of him!

Next season, it'd be great to see him on the ball more and less on the wing if he's up for it. That said, he is the perfect wing as well and with Smith in his probably last season... wish we had two of him!

Have to agree, watching holmes and smith tear up and down the wings this year was delicious. :smile:

Right now I'm just thrilled with what he's already bringing.
It's all about this, for mine. He's already a valuable senior player and we could reasonably expect that he's not close to his ceiling yet. I, for one, could not care less if ongoing improvement brings him into conversations about being 'the best in the game' or to be the subject of comparisons with the Judds of this world.

Just be the very best version of you, Max. Everything we've seen up till now suggests that will be worth watching, no matter how 'the footy world' views your capabilities in the future.

• Elite endurance
  • Elite speed
  • Good mark
  • Tackles well
? Lacking size

To be fair his goal kicking has come on in leaps and bounds. Had some absolute shockers in 2021 and in 2022 there were goals he kicked that just would have been shanks or dropped short.

Kicked 1.7 in 2021 and 13.6 in 2022 but some of those misses were narrow and could easily have been up towards the 20 goal mark.
Also add in last year he had 3 goal assists, this year he had 14.

So last year he contributed directly to 4 goals, this season contributed to 27.

His game as an attacking player has massive upside and wouldn't shock me if this season or next we see him move from the wing to midfield. Imagine his pace bursting out of the centre?

• Elite endurance
  • Elite speed
  • Good mark
  • Tackles well
? Lacking size

Can I add two more things that are intangibles?

Firstly, he's confident and backs himself. Happy to go head to head with some of the premier players of the comp and doesnt get overawed.

Secondly, and most importantly - He plays with his heart on his sleeve. When the going got tough last year, there were plenty of moments where he stood up. He can be absolutely desperate. Plenty of top tier players who just don't have ticker and give up if they have had a quiet half or if their team is down. SDK has this too.

It's all about this, for mine. He's already a valuable senior player and we could reasonably expect that he's not close to his ceiling yet. I, for one, could not care less if ongoing improvement brings him into conversations about being 'the best in the game' or to be the subject of comparisons with the Judds of this world.

Just be the very best version of you, Max. Everything we've seen up till now suggests that will be worth watching, no matter how 'the footy world' views your capabilities in the future.
I like what you are saying.

These descriptors and comparisons are only relevant to the early stages of their career. Once they are entrenched (even as a middling player), they are not relevant anymore.

When someone becomes the top player or top 10 or whatever, they are never ever compared to some other previous player (i.e. no-one says, gee that Lachie Neale is like a version of Diesel). They are exactly what you said - described as the best version of themselves (i.e Lachie Neale/Petracca is the best player in the comp).

Agree that he's more likely Judd-like than Danger. Better disposal and I'm not sure he'll ever be the "bull" that Danger can be.

Disclaimer: none of that means he's going to reach the same heights as either or anywhere. Just that he has characteristics that are a little similar.

Young Oscar Riccardi is aiming to be exactly this!

Firstly, he's confident and backs himself. Happy to go head to head with some of the premier players of the comp and doesnt get overawed.
Absolutely love this about his game. As I was watching games with my son this year, I remarked to him several times about Maxy winning the ball, looking up to see who's around, and then just running straight past them. He is deadly from a standing start, and it is such a weapon against the constriction that every coaching team is attempting to apply to every game these days. Shows a clear knowledge of what he is really good at, and then uses that to advantage in game situations. He's both capable and clever, which makes him a formidable opponent already, despite his relative youth.

Secondly, and most importantly - He plays with his heart on his sleeve. When the going got tough last year, there were plenty of moments where he stood up. He can be absolutely desperate. Plenty of top tier players who just don't have ticker and give up if they have had a quiet half or if their team is down. SDK has this too.
I really like this aspect as well. To the point where I absolutely believe we would have won that Freo game if he'd been out there for the duration. Surely his skill, desperation and game-breaking ability would have been enough for one more goal for us. Or even one less goal against.

And pretty much the same goes for that Saints game as well. We lost the match in fifteen minutes of madness. And basically by being belted around the middle of the ground and at clearances, which are two areas he well and truly could have affected if he was out there.

Let's face it, if the #9 had been out there for those games, we'd potentially be only three wins from matching our all-time consecutive wins record already. He really is that good.

:cool:

To be fair his goal kicking has come on in leaps and bounds. Had some absolute shockers in 2021 and in 2022 there were goals he kicked that just would have been shanks or dropped short.

Kicked 1.7 in 2021 and 13.6 in 2022 but some of those misses were narrow and could easily have been up towards the 20 goal mark.
Also add in last year he had 3 goal assists, this year he had 14.

So last year he contributed directly to 4 goals, this season contributed to 27.

His game as an attacking player has massive upside and wouldn't shock me if this season or next we see him move from the wing to midfield. Imagine his pace bursting out of the centre?
There was a knock on Holmes kicking early. So last year I watched carefully his disposal by foot. At times elite. He has improved but there was a convention that he was an average kick. Also don't forget still a puppy. 2022 Holmes was a second year player. On a trajectory.

Loving the content of our recruits, so can’t wait to see Bruhn. Really rate him, big year ahead.

Saw that Foster kid in the cats shop last week, not as big as I expected. Reckon we could use him as a KPD??

Saw SDK at Adelaide Oval last year. He was getting toweled by Dixon, but you could see his frustration with himself and his competitiveness. Dixon was probably BOG but SDK never gave in, it was great to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back