Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some photos from yesterday. They are in time order so the "players positions whiteboard" Q1, then Q2, & Q3.
These are the last photos from me this preseason.
The next two games, especially the Cats game i want to take a bit more notice on what is happening out on the field.

Click on the first photo to view one at a time.
Or click the slideshow button towards top right just under the cloud. It looks like a TV or computer monitor.
Viewing on mobile phones could be a bit different.

Great work - many thanks!

Some photos from yesterday. They are in time order so the "players positions whiteboard" Q1, then Q2, & Q3.
These are the last photos from me this preseason.
The next two games, especially the Cats game i want to take a bit more notice on what is happening out on the field.

Click on the first photo to view one at a time.
Or click the slideshow button towards top right just under the cloud. It looks like a TV or computer monitor.
Viewing on mobile phones could be a bit different.

the fantasy sport community definitely loves your work with the photos of the teamsheet!

the fantasy sport community definitely loves your work with the photos of the teamsheet!
I decided to not play any fantasy this year, so unsure of player prices.
As you know the Lions still have a few to return before round 1.

I imagine Ashcroft the only good bet for round 1.
McKenna, if priced okay and he gets a run.
Joyce would be cheap, but i doubt he gets a start unless an injury strikes which we don't want to happen.

rye: i wish you good luck in fantasy 2023.

I really hope we don't ignore the need to keep some size around the ball with our midfield mix. Dunkley is a massive part of this, but we need another in the regular rotations as well. I am a little worried that the rise of Ashcroft and the intention to push Bailey through the middle may mean either Dev or Berry don't get a look in. Will see what transpires I guess.

If berry doesn’t get inside mid time after what he did in last years finals (particularly against Oliver) I’ll be dumb founded

I mean, All Australian wouldn't go amiss either! To be honest, there's massive pressure across the Lions this season, with the best draft pick, best trade period and best forward and mid line up. Everyone is going to mark us as an F for the year if we don't win the flag.

I don't necessarily think it's fair, given how much happens across a season, but I'm going to enjoy it regardless of the outcome.
barring serious injuries. I think there is an argument that anything less than a GF appearance is a fail.
I believe Payne will improve (might take a little longer after preseason setback), and surely Gardiner plays better this year than last year. Yes Adams will be missed but like a few in the backline he has his odd poor game and some clangers.
Dunkley is a huge in.
Gunston is an improvement on McStay
Aschcroft will play (not sure as a permanent midfielder).

We have some very good fringe players.
We have finals experience and a reasonably good draw.

If berry doesn’t get inside mid time after what he did in last years finals (particularly against Oliver) I’ll be dumb founded

From memory their worry with playing Berry inside too much is doing more damage to his bung shoulder. I think they did it in the Melbourne game as a “break glass in case of emergency” thing, but given he’s just had another surgery in the off season I don’t think we’ll see much of him inside this year

From memory their worry with playing Berry inside too much is doing more damage to his bung shoulder. I think they did it in the Melbourne game as a “break glass in case of emergency” thing, but given he’s just had another surgery in the off season I don’t think we’ll see much of him inside this year

I think the shoulder surgery will enable him to spend more time inside tbh.

I think the shoulder surgery will enable him to spend more time inside tbh.
Jarrod could play more inside midfield but at the moment Berry is our only proven winger.
I prefer McCluggage on the other wing but that is not going to happen. But he will spend some time on the wing.

Don't see Berry as an inside mid with the addition of Dunkley and Ashcroft. However, Berry will get some inside midfield time when deemed necessary.

I see the engine room midfield as Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Ashcroft, Lyons. With F/M Rayner, Zorko, Bailey. That's an excellent midfield group.

We actually have too many midfielders to fit into a balanced team. McCluggage going to a wing would fix this issue but as i said it is not going to happen.
I will post a team with some gaps and will be interested in what players BF posters think will fill the gaps.

Jarrod could play more inside midfield but at the moment Berry is our only proven winger.
I prefer McCluggage on the other wing but that is not going to happen. But he will spend some time on the wing.

Don't see Berry as an inside mid with the addition of Dunkley and Ashcroft. However, Berry will get some inside midfield time when deemed necessary.

I see the engine room midfield as Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Ashcroft, Lyons. With F/M Rayner, Zorko, Bailey. That's an excellent midfield group.

We actually have too many midfielders to fit into a balanced team. McCluggage going to a wing would fix this issue but as i said it is not going to happen.
I will post a team with some gaps and will be interested in what players BF posters think will fill the gaps.

I fully expect McCluggage and Berry will both spend time on the wing. The beauty of our midfield group is there are plenty of guys who can play two positions. Robertson is missing from your list but he's another who can play wing and on ball.

I fully expect McCluggage and Berry will both spend time on the wing. The beauty of our midfield group is there are plenty of guys who can play two positions. Robertson is missing from your list but he's another who can play wing and on ball.
Was really impressed with Dev on Friday, playing for both teams. Far from perfect but genuinely plays like he gives a stuff, all the time.

Agree with that except I would have Dev Robertson in the engine room in place of Jarryd Lyons... Dev is far more versatile and Lyons in there is one too many extractor types IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nunez, Grasshopper17, M Malace and others

I have left 1 position to be filled. Only 1 midfield player can make the team below.
All midfield players in bolded will play in my opinion. But feel free to drop one if you wish.
I also believe all the other players named elsewhere will play bar possibly Wilmot.
How do we fit all our midfielders into the side below. The half back position is another story for later.
Ashcroft looks like a pure inside mid to me, but he could go out to the wing i suppose. Lyons not a suitable winger.

A few scenarios below.

McCluggage to the wing solves a lot of decisions but looks like it won't happen.
Result in comes Lyons or Robertson and the team looks well balanced.
Zorko to wing in comes Lyons or Robertson
Robertson to the wing means Lyons misses out.
Any of Ah Chee/Tunstill/Prior/Wilmot/Sharp or even Answerth to the wing means both Lyons & Robinson miss out.

Looks to me it most likely comes down to either Lyons or Robertson for that last spot.
That will result in most of our midfield group spending time on one wing.

FB: Starcevich - Payne - Gardiner
HB: Rich - Andrews - Coleman

CW: W/M Rotation???? - Dunkley - Berry

HF: Bailey - Hipwood - Rayner
FF: Gunston - Daniher - Cameron

FOLL: McInerney - Neale - Ashcroft

Int: Zorko (F/M/W), McCarthy (F), McCluggage (M), Wilmot ?? (D)

Anyone as TS

One midfield spot choices are, Lyons - Robertson - Ah Chee - Tunstill - Prior- Sharp- Mathieson

Last edited:
Was really impressed with Dev on Friday, playing for both teams. Far from perfect but genuinely plays like he gives a stuff, all the time.
I said this after we were smashed in last year’s Preliminary v Cats.
Dev was the one who stood up and could hold his head high. In our best 3, and his effort was A grade even after contest was dead.
I have high hopes for him this year.

I have left 1 position to be filled. Only 1 midfield player can make the team below.
All midfield players in bolded will play in my opinion. But feel free to drop one if you wish.
I also believe all the other players named elsewhere will play bar possibly Wilmot.
How do we fit all our midfielders into the side below. The half back position is another story for later.
Ashcroft looks like a pure inside mid to me, but he could go out to the wing i suppose. Lyons not a suitable winger.

A few scenarios below.

McCluggage to the wing solves a lot of decisions but looks like it won't happen.
Robinson to the wing means Lyons misses out.
Any of Ah Chee/Tunstill/Prior/Wilmot/Sharp or even Answerth to the wing means both Lyons & Robinson miss out.

Looks to me it most likely comes down to either Lyons or Robertson for that last spot.

CW: ???????? - Dunkley - Berry

Anyone as TS

One midfield spot choices are, Lyons - Robertson - Ah Chee - Tunstill - Prior- Sharp- Mathieson
Put Robertson on that wing.
Clugga AA Australian squad…he doesn’t start on the bench.

As much as I and others admire the way Robertson plays, McCluagge deserves to be on that other wing with Robertson starting on the bench and Ah Chee being our medical sub most weeks (dependent on opposition though).

A few scenarios below.

Robinson to the wing means Lyons misses out.

CW: ???????? - Dunkley - Berry

Anyone as TS

No surprise from me that I would go Dev Robertson for your vacant spot... preferences in order after Dev would be- Ah Chee, Tunstill, Prior, Lyons, Sharp, Mathieson. Caveat - If Harry Sharp really explodes onto the scene he would be an ideal winger but I have serious doubts that he is ever going to do that.

Your selected side is 21 of my best 22... I have McKenna instead of Wilmot.

I am not really worried about who starts on the bench.
Could be Rayner, Bailey, Ashcroft or anyone really.
They start rotations fairly quickly.
So, it's Robertson for you for the last spot.

As much as I and others admire the way Robertson plays, McCluagge deserves to be on that other wing with Robertson starting on the bench and Ah Chee being our medical sub most weeks (dependent on opposition though).
So it's Robertson for you.

Don't confuse things with TS ;)

Last edited:
No surprise from me that I would go Dev Robertson for your vacant spot... preferences in order after Dev would be- Ah Chee, Tunstill, Prior, Lyons, Sharp, Mathieson. Caveat - If Harry Sharp really explodes onto the scene he would be an ideal winger but I have serious doubts that he is ever going to do that.

Your selected side is 21 of my best 22... I have McKenna instead of Wilmot.
So, Dev for you with Lyons well down the list.

Edit: Selectors only get one choice unless you drop one of the bolded players

Lyons “should” only get a chance at AFL level again - if we need experience in our midfield due to injury/etc throughout the year for us.

I did mention “should” in brackets though, cause I reckon our coaches think differently with this dilemma.

I'm absolutely putting Dev on a wing before I put McCluggage on a wing.

I am absolutely NOT saying Dev is a better footballer than McCluggage. Be careful not to conflate the two.

Anyone who doesn't follow my logic, go back and (re)watch the Dynasties doco where Browny talks about the light bulb moment in the Princes Park change rooms in 2001, after Lethal listed Carlton's most important players, and they didn't include Kouta, Silvagni or Bradley.

Dev works harder to get back to the opposition goal square to help with the overlap defence, which is an absolutely critical role of the modern winger.

If there is a place for McCluggage in our starting centre square, happy for him to start there. If not, he starts on the bench (assuming there is a spot for him there).

Before jaws hit the floor, this comes back to the importance of "playing the role" and also my comments from Friday about how I still don't think anyone at the club has a firm grasp of what our best midfield is. But I'm 95% certain our "best midfield" is quite different to our "best midfielders".

I do think the perfect time for McCluggage to go to a wing would be if we are chasing a game and need late goals. He reads the play well and could probably be relied upon to keep his width as we attack. The Freo game last year was a good example of this. Our team defence got absolutely panned but watching live at the ground it was obvious we completely opened the game up in an attempt to run down the deficit. Actually thought we were well coached that day... It was just a pity we had a 10 minute period in Q3 where our midfield forgot how to tackle.

Dev to the wing for me, Clugga to start in the centre with Neale and Dunkley and Ashcroft to the bench.

I'm absolutely putting Dev on a wing before I put McCluggage on a wing.

I am absolutely NOT saying Dev is a better footballer than McCluggage. Be careful not to conflate the two.

Anyone who doesn't follow my logic, go back and (re)watch the Dynasties doco where Browny talks about the light bulb moment in the Princes Park change rooms in 2001, after Lethal listed Carlton's most important players, and they didn't include Kouta, Silvagni or Bradley.

Dev works harder to get back to the opposition goal square to help with the overlap defence, which is an absolutely critical role of the modern winger.

If there is a place for McCluggage in our starting centre square, happy for him to start there. If not, he starts on the bench (assuming there is a spot for him there).

Before jaws hit the floor, this comes back to the importance of "playing the role" and also my comments from Friday about how I still don't think anyone at the club has a firm grasp of what our best midfield is. But I'm 95% certain our "best midfield" is quite different to our "best midfielders".

I do think the perfect time for McCluggage to go to a wing would be if we are chasing a game and need late goals. He reads the play well and could probably be relied upon to keep his width as we attack. The Freo game last year was a good example of this. Our team defence got absolutely panned but watching live at the ground it was obvious we completely opened the game up in an attempt to run down the deficit. Actually thought we were well coached that day... It was just a pity we had a 10 minute period in Q3 where our midfield forgot how to tackle.
So, Dev for you over the others

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back