Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks.

Not writing off he has another level after a few years of injuries

Kinda gets pigeon holed as in Joe is always Joe

Is this true though ?

Huge talent

Personally I didn’t think Daniher was much different than last year. Good in bits. I did think the defensive pressure from the 1’s was pretty good through the 4 quarters but, they were against fairly easy oppo

Personally I didn’t think Daniher was much different than last year. Good in bits. I did think the defensive pressure from the 1’s was pretty good through the 4 quarters but, they were against fairly easy oppo
If an improved Joe does eventuate it wont be apparent right now

I want his power in the air to improve mainly

The new scoreboard at 6.43pm. Sunset was 6.36pm so not completely dark at that point.
Lights were on.
Should look good on the big screen during the Cats game, assuming they put the game up on the screen.
Not sure but it looks to me like it needs tidying up to complete.

1676035306816.jpeg

I have a question for all the sports science gurus... When people say "so and so has a hamstring strain", is this the same as saying they have small tear? Or is a strain a completely different thing

I have a question for all the sports science gurus... When people say "so and so has a hamstring strain", is this the same as saying they have small tear? Or is a strain a completely different thing to a tear?
They are the same thing. If he can run at top speed it sounds like a low grade strain

I just think our midfield gets forward of the ball too often and too quickly. I've been saying this since mid 2021 but everyone shouts me down
I highly doubt that, it has been a very common criticism of the side up until half time of the semi final vs Melbourne last year.

Ashcroft was good, particularly early. Probably best on ground for say the first quarter and a half. Maybe faded a bit towards the end.

I just think our midfield gets forward of the ball too often and too quickly. I've been saying this since mid 2021 but everyone shouts me down because criticism of our Brownlow medallist is completely off limits. But our defence will be the foundation of any success we have and it has to start at the coal face.

Today looked just like pretty much any game you want to look at last year, where we'd spend large portions of the game groaning about how we were playing, even when we got the result.

Also I'd suggest we went with one tall too many, which I acknowledge is a change in my perspective since 2021, when I thought we should load up with tall guys. 3 key forwards and 2 ruckmen. I now concede that is at least one too many and possibly even two too many.
I've said the same thing on here about us getting forward, Melbourne really exposed us 2 years ago with Petraca waiting back at the bounce and we haven't fixed the issue. I though that is what Dunkley was for. Then it is pre-season I'm positive they are working this out and if Zorko plays midfield he has been our top tackler in the midfield rotation.

I really hope we don't ignore the need to keep some size around the ball with our midfield mix. Dunkley is a massive part of this, but we need another in the regular rotations as well. I am a little worried that the rise of Ashcroft and the intention to push Bailey through the middle may mean either Dev or Berry don't get a look in. Will see what transpires I guess.

I really hope we don't ignore the need to keep some size around the ball with our midfield mix. Dunkley is a massive part of this, but we need another in the regular rotations as well. I am a little worried that the rise of Ashcroft and the intention to push Bailey through the middle may mean either Dev or Berry don't get a look in. Will see what transpires I guess.
As promising as the reports are on Aschcroft, are we expecting too much of a 1st year player to play AFL week in week out as a quality midfielder.

As promising as the reports are on Aschcroft, are we expecting too much of a 1st year player to play AFL week in week out as a quality midfielder.
Nahhh don’t be utter ridiculous, we ain’t expecting too much with Ashcroft at all :rolleyes:

We just want him to be part of 2023 premiership side and win the Brownlow, Coleman and North Smith medal as well 🥇

*- I understand where your coming from though, hopefully the other midfielders can step up as well.

It may not be week in and week out, but with the way he plays he is almost exclusively a midfielder. I had thought he might spend a big chunk on the wing and on the bench with limited time through the middle. But he just doesn't look like an outside player.

The club might decide to push him into other positions to develop his game, but at this stage that hasn't happened, at least not during the intraclub games as far as I can tell.

Nahhh don’t be utter ridiculous, we ain’t expecting too much with Ashcroft at all :rolleyes:

We just want him to be part of 2023 premiership side and win the Brownlow, Coleman and North Smith medal as well 🥇

*- I understand where your coming from though, hopefully the other midfielders can step up as well.
I don't want too much, 2023 rising star award and playing the last Saturday in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to remember he might have a better handle on this than other 1st year players.

Ashcroft finished the school a year early (since he started early in QLD I think) and he had the whole 2022 to prepare for AFL.

I don't want too much, 2023 rising star award and playing the last Saturday in September.
Given everything I want him to do this year, I totally forgot he was a 1st year player and can win the rising star medal as well, maybe I might be giving him too much to achieve in regards to achievements, sorry Will 😅

Pretty underwhelming affair watching from ground level behind the goals. Big ups to the boundary umpire who decided to place himself between me and the ball at all times. Amused to see Lachie Neale go up about six gears once the Probables' score was amended from 10 goals up to two goals down. Ashcroft is 🤤

I highly doubt that, it has been a very common criticism of the side up until half time of the semi final vs Melbourne last year.
Yeah my bad. Probably wasn't clear enough on my comment about this last night. Was referring moreso to the intelligentsia on Twitter. In-season I tend to post more there than here; better chance of someone at the club reading what I have to say there I figure 🤷 (even if it is 0.1% vs 0% 😂)

After being a bit of a grumble guts I wanted to play devil's advocate briefly on my comments from last night.

If our players are trying to learn a new method of play (particularly defensively) it may take several weeks/months to become apparent. And, to be fair, there's a good chance people like Fox Footy who have access to all the footage from eleventy squillion camera angles will cotton on to it as soon as if not before we do.*

Geelong 2022 is a pretty good example of this. An underwhelming preseason loss to the Suns, before going 5-4 through 9 rounds. Those 4 losses were to Sydney in Sydney, Hawthorn, Fremantle in Geelong and St Kilda. And in one of their wins they trailed Collingwood by 37 points late in the third quarter. So our bingo card at that stage looked pretty good compared to theirs.

In fairness I think the changes Geelong made were far more pronounced than the changes I think we are expecting/hoping to see, but the game has become so complex that any significant change is going to take time to bed down and become second nature. I don't think we're at the stage of Americanisation yet where players go away with a play book and memorise all the set plays and attacking/defensive methods over summer and then refer to them by cryptic codes in-game. But I don't think it's far off.

*Mind you they will probably pad their analysis with mind numbing facts and figures which turn out to be about as relevant as Sydney's "world record" pressure rating coming into last year's Grand Final.

Pretty underwhelming affair watching from ground level behind the goals. Big ups to the boundary umpire who decided to place himself between me and the ball at all times. Amused to see Lachie Neale go up about six gears once the Probables' score was amended from 10 goals up to two goals down. Ashcroft is 🤤
Yes, that was quite noticeable.
I was near the interchange bench at that time.
What happened was the coaches and players on the bench yelled out instructions "only 4 minutes left to play".
At that stage they needed 2 goals 1 behind (i think) to win the game. In the end they did not get the result needed.
I imagine it was mentioned at 3/4 time this would happen.
Lucky it won't be counted as a close game lost.

I mean, All Australian wouldn't go amiss either! To be honest, there's massive pressure across the Lions this season, with the best draft pick, best trade period and best forward and mid line up. Everyone is going to mark us as an F for the year if we don't win the flag.

I don't necessarily think it's fair, given how much happens across a season, but I'm going to enjoy it regardless of the outcome.

Will Ashcroft is a certainty to be a long serving captain of our club, Zorks hands over to Lachie and Will takes over circa 2027.
Just give him the captaincy already, this guy just can’t do anything wrong :D

Some photos from yesterday. They are in time order so the "players positions whiteboard" Q1, then Q2, & Q3.
These are the last photos from me this preseason.
The next two games, especially the Cats game i want to take a bit more notice on what is happening out on the field.

Click on the first photo to view one at a time.
Or click the slideshow button towards top right just under the cloud. It looks like a TV or computer monitor.
Viewing on mobile phones could be a bit different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back