Training 2023 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

All 18 clubs will be scheduled just the one official practice clash ahead of the season proper due to the introduction of Gather Round in round five, which will see the season increase from 23 rounds to 24.

The fixture for those official pre-season games is expected to be announced early next week.
But before those games in the first week of March, most clubs have arranged a more informal hitout to build their preparations ahead of round one. These games are expected to be held on February 23 or 24.

Brisbane will face Sydney at Tramway Oval outside the SCG and is then expected to host a practice match at the Lions' new base the following week.

My 2 bobs re who plays, who doesn’t.
I want to see more rotation in the team, resting players, managing players, ensuring we don’t limp into the finals.

It's an appealing idea. I'm wondering about which players we'd rest? I think that mostly it would be the ageing talls: Buddy, Hickey, Reid. This is mostly going to give increased opportunity to McLean and Amartey.

Stability is particularly important in the defenders so I'm less sure about rotating there - although giving Rampe or one of the others a rest to give opportunities to Gould, Francis and Melican could also work if we remain injury free.

The other ones that really get worked over are the mids. Resting some of the mids occasionally could allow them to freshen up. Now that we have got a decent block of games into the likes of Mills and even Rowbottom, it seems less essential that they play as much as possible to fast track their development. On the other hand they are among our best players and we want to have them on the park.

I don't know whether it's the right plan for us but if the match committee does it, I'll be pleased.

It's an appealing idea. I'm wondering about which players we'd rest? I think that mostly it would be the ageing talls: Buddy, Hickey, Reid. This is mostly going to give increased opportunity to McLean and Amartey.

Stability is particularly important in the defenders so I'm less sure about rotating there - although giving Rampe or one of the others a rest to give opportunities to Gould, Francis and Melican could also work if we remain injury free.

The other ones that really get worked over are the mids. Resting some of the mids occasionally could allow them to freshen up. Now that we have got a decent block of games into the likes of Mills and even Rowbottom, it seems less essential that they play as much as possible to fast track their development. On the other hand they are among our best players and we want to have them on the park.

I don't know whether it's the right plan for us but if the match committee does it, I'll be pleased.
I think your first two paras are spot on. "Managing" all three of those talls (and McDonald) should see Ladhams, McLean and Amartey getting games. ✅
I think Horse would like to get games into Gould for sure, Francis if he steps up, but I think Melican is "break glass only". Fox might be the unlucky one, or he might move Blakey or Florent forward.
With Gus still training in the forward group my guess is that he will come into the team as the second small forward, attend forward half stoppages and the odd CBA. That, along with occasionals from Papley, Heeney, McInerney should reduce the physical load on Parker, Mills, Rowbottom and Warner.
Hard lines for Clarke I think, except for special games.

Providing we have the luxury of enough wins to do so, I also agree with the management of players. As to which players we'd rest, our recent history over the last few seasons suggests we manage players sparingly (though again, win/loss record and ladder positions are a factor there), but when we do, it's either quite a raw kid or a tall.

Since 2020 only seven times has a Swan been listed as 'managed':

Round 9, 2022 - Campbell
Round 3, 2021 - Buddy
Round 16, 2021 - Rowbottom
Round 19, 2021 - Amartey
Round 22, 2021 - Buddy
Round 17, 2020 - Sinclair, Rowbottom

4 x 25 mins, no time on.

FnxgibnaUAAEm5f

4 x 25 mins, no time on.

FnxgibnaUAAEm5f
With no extra time (such as last year's extra two quarters), I'm guessing we'll use the first hit-out as a chance to try out some in that chasing pack while anyone not at 100% sits it out, and then the formal match against Carlton will feature what will basically be our best 22 for round 1.

So in a pre-season sense, I'm more excited about the informal one first up against the Lions than I am the proper one against the Blues. Hopefully the production quality is decent.

With no extra time (such as last year's extra two quarters), I'm guessing we'll use the first hit-out as a chance to try out some in that chasing pack while anyone not at 100% sits it out, and then the formal match against Carlton will feature what will basically be our best 22 for round 1.

So in a pre-season sense, I'm more excited about the informal one first up against the Lions than I am the proper one against the Blues. Hopefully the production quality is decent.

As per the article on the Swans website:

"The Swans VFL side will play curtain raisers ahead of each pre-season fixture, however the structure of these matches and timings are still to be confirmed and are subject to change on the day."

"The Swans VFL side will play curtain raisers ahead of each pre-season fixture, however the structure of these matches and timings are still to be confirmed and are subject to change on the day."
The tweet suggests 3pm for the VFL curtain raiser vs Carlton but nothing about the Lions.
😥 I can't get to the Lions game and maybe not even the Blues one. Poo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hell the intra-club hitouts and the pre-season games can't come fast enough

The thread below is now up to 157 pages. 🤦‍♂️

So I guess we are officially in the depths of off-season with bugger all news.

56 pages and counting on the main board in the thread;

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

My own view is that if Chad Warner wins 6 Norm Smiths in his 6 Premierships ( to go along with his 5 Brownlows) then he could be in the discussion. :think:

We really do need a scandal or two......Lyon back at St Kilda....surely the two go hand in hand with a scandal or two.

The VFL fixture still not out Rob , but i did post what ours should be

$10? Behind Brisbane, Richmond and Carlton?

Thats amazing value

View attachment 1597153

Feel like they have underrated Freo. They had some important outs - but they had some important ins too: Luke Jackson, Jaeger O'Meara. Moreover, a lot of their talent is young and are still taking strides forward each year: Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Darcy, Clark, Brodie, Amiss, Henry, Erasmus, Johnson, Frederick. Most of those guys are first round picks.

Feel like they have underrated Freo. They had some important outs - but they had some important ins too: Luke Jackson, Jaeger O'Meara. Moreover, a lot of their talent is young and are still taking strides forward each year: Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Darcy, Clark, Brodie, Amiss, Henry, Erasmus, Johnson, Frederick. Most of those guys are first round picks.
Always good to remember that the betting market only reflects the flow of money, not any objective reality. There's more money in Melbourne for AFL than anywhere else IMO.
$9.50 for Blues incredibly optimistic.

Always good to remember that the betting market only reflects the flow of money, not any objective reality. There's more money in Melbourne for AFL than anywhere else IMO.
$9.50 for Blues incredibly optimistic.

Yes, but the odds (not something I follow AT ALL) are often a better indicator of the way a game is going to go than the tips of so-called 'experts'. Money talks.

…. but it’s Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back