Training 2023 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

On Monday I got there after 10am so training had been going on for a while before I got there.

- Ball movement drill
Ball gets moved quickly from goal to goal. I have seen this drill numerous times. Kicked from the goal square to back pocket. Who kicks a diagonal ball inside to a player who handballs to a running player. Who kicks to a leading player running to the wing who then kicks a long ball into the attacking 50.

- Handball drill
6 attackers keep possession using handballs in a smallish circle against 3 opposing players. The coaches wanted the attacking players to get a certain number of consecutive possessions. Another point to note is that they were in their positional groups for this drill, presumably to build up cohesion and communication among players who play in the same part of the field. Whilst in previous preseasons, you would see players mixed up for a drill like this.

- 18 vs 15 match sim
I think it was 18 on the attacking team and 15 on the defending team which would give an extra player on each line. It went for about 20-25 minutes. Not heavy contact but the coaches let it flow for a little bit if there was a loose ball. And reset from a stoppage only when it got too messy. If the defending team won possession they could attack as best they could with their lesser numbers. Some of my highlights from where I was watching from.

• Mills got a bit praise from the other players for his defensive cover. A long kick had got over the back of the defence which gave Magor a clear run at it in space. But Mills somehow ran back and seemed to knock it away from him.
  • Florent had a few eye catching runs from deep in defence to half way.
  • Heeney a few classy moments that you expect from him. Can seem like he is completely covered by the defender, but can run up to half forward, float in the air and cleanly take a contested mark. Also saw him judge the ball and get out the back of a marking pack unopposed for an easy goal.
  • Konstanty. First time I have been able to get a good look at him. He did ok and got involved which can be hard sometimes as a young small forward. I saw him make a wrap around tackle on one of the senior mids to get a holding the ball decision. Also seemed to get to a few loose balls in the forward line. And I saw him lead up to space at half forward to take a mark.
  • Corey Warner. There was a few times he got possession under immediate pressure. But he stayed composed, looked around at his options and kept possession with a short kick or handpass. Also I saw him regularly use his running ability to get to contests or get to open space to create a passing option.

- Running
End of the sessions was mainly running split up into three groups. Repeat runs of half the boundary of the oval which is probably 225m. I heard the fitness coach praise Fox. You could tell from the boundary Fox has got the ability to run repeat sprints and still be relatively strong at the end.

Also at this time the 1st year players were mainly doing basic skill stuff with the coaches rather than the extra running.

Last edited:
On Monday I got there after 10am so training had been going on for a while before I got there.

- Ball movement drill
Ball gets moved quickly from goal to goal. I have seen this drill numerous times. Kicked from the goal square to back pocket. Who kicks a diagonal ball inside to a player who handballs to a running player. Who kicks to a leading player running to the wing who then kicks a long ball into the attacking 50.

- Handball drill
6 attackers keep possession using handballs in a smallish circle against 3 opposing players. The coaches wanted the attacking players to get a certain number of consecutive possessions. Another point to note is that they were in their positional groups for this drill, presumably to build up cohesion and communication among players who play in the same part of the field. Whilst in previous preseasons, you would see players mixed up for a drill like this.

- 18 vs 15 match sim
I think it was 18 on the attacking team and 15 on the defending team which would give an extra player on each line. It went for about 20-25 minutes. Not heavy contact but the coaches let it flow for a little bit if there was a loose ball. And reset from a stoppage only when it got too messy. If the defending team won possession they could attack as best they could with their lesser numbers. Some of my highlights from where I was watching from.

• Mills got a bit praise from the other players for his defensive cover. A long kick had got over the back of the defence which gave Magor a clear run at it in space. But Mills somehow ran back and seemed to knock it away from him.
  • Florent had a few eye catching runs from deep in defence to half way.
  • Heeney a few classy moments that you expect from him. Can seem like he is completely covered by the defender, but can run up to half forward, float in the air and cleanly take a contested mark. Also saw him judge the ball and get out the back of a marking pack unopposed for an easy goal.
  • Konstanty. First time I have been able to get a good look at him. He did ok and got involved which can be hard sometimes as a young small forward. I saw him make a wrap around tackle on one of the senior mids to get a holding the ball decision. Also seemed to get to a few loose balls in the forward line. And I saw him lead up to space at half forward to take a mark.
  • Corey Warner. There was a few times he got possession under immediate pressure. But he stayed composed, looked around at his options and kept possession with a short kick or handpass. Also I saw him regularly use his running ability to get to contests or get to open space to create a passing option.

- Running
End of the sessions was mainly running split up into three groups. Repeat runs of half the boundary of the oval which is probably 225m. I heard the fitness coach praise Fox. You could tell from the boundary Fox has got the ability to run repeat sprints and still be relatively strong at the end.

Also at this time the 1st year players were mainly doing basic skill stuff with the coaches rather than the extra running.
Sounds like Corey Warner is having a huge preseason, ya love to see it (except for the fact that we're creating a logjam on the wings but ya know that's a good problem)

Theres been so much talk about teams that get flogged in the Granny, fall off cliff the following year.

If this is true.... and if theres a team / club / culture that can buck the trend, then the Swans are that team.
Personally, Im not at all concerned that last years grand final loss will impact this season..
Rampe summed it up.. "I think the fact that we were there on the final day of September is something that can really give us confidence going forward."

glass half full, or half empty.. Pretty clear how the Swans see things

Theres been so much talk about teams that get flogged in the Granny, fall off cliff the following year.

If this is true.... and if theres a team / club / culture that can buck the trend, then the Swans are that team.
Personally, Im not at all concerned that last years grand final loss will impact this season..
Rampe summed it up.. "I think the fact that we were there on the final day of September is something that can really give us confidence going forward."

glass half full, or half empty.. Pretty clear how the Swans see things
I think we got to the Granny early. The players certainly know they are good enough. They know what they need to work on. I see nothing other than positives.

On Wednesday I got there at 9.45am and it was well underway. They were off the oval by 10.30am so I think training might have started early to avoid the heat.

- For the first drill I saw, they had split the oval into two lengthwise and split the players into three teams. Team A would attack against team B and when they had scored the goal. Team C would immediately start attacking the other way on the other oval with team A defending. Then once they had scored the goal team B would start attacking from the other oval with team C defending and so on.

I am guessing it was practice in transitioning from attacking on one oval to having to get back into position to defend against the fresh team attacking on the adjacent oval. Also it would give good practice in quickly counter attacking against a side that is still trying to get into position.

- They then split up into positional groups.
  • Defenders were at the northern end split into 2 sides. One group would practice working the ball out from the goal square with short kicks. Then the other side would work it back in.
  • Forwards were using the 50m arc on the southern end. They were making a series of short kicks to players making leads inside the attacking 50m.
  • Mids were near me on the eastern boundary. Cox would kick the ball long and the attacking side would have to get to the loose ball then handpass their way upfield or lock the ball in (rather than turning it over). Interestingly for this drill I think Sheldrick was with the mids rather than the forwards. So like Heeney he may float between groups.

- At the end was unstructured stuff. Several defenders were doing 1 vs 1 contested marking. Mids were practicing picking up ground balls under pressure and ruck taps. A few players having shots at goal or doing basic skill stuff.

Last edited:
  • Forwards were using the 50m arc on the southern end. They were making a series of short kicks to players making leads inside the attacking 50m.
That seems rather radical. :confusedv1:

Thanks again SeanM, good stuff.

Noticed from your reports that our match sims, are 18 v 15, 15 v 12 or short sided (12 v 12) and are not 'full on' contact.

We take on Brisbane (on February 23rd or 24) in a practice match, so I'd imagine a full scale intraclub game can't be far away.
Looking forward to your report when it does occur and hopefully at least some vision from the club.

Players will still make tackles or try to lock the ball in. But at a lower intensity. I suppose it is a balance of not being excessively physical. Last Wednesday's session seemed rougher than normal. I had a good view of the midfield ruck tap drill. Roberts had a knock to the nose and Corey Warner got a bit shaken by a fend to the throat.

I suppose they are gradually building up to something closer to a full match. The match sim stuff so far is a bit stop start and gets reset frequently. And seems more about ball movement and structure than loose ball physical contests.

The varying numbers and field size might reflect different focus of the drill. 12 vs 12 on a smaller oval is slower and congested with short kicks and marks. 18 vs 15 full oval is more open and quicker and a lot more space.

Usually late in preseason, they will start having something closer to proper internal matches with referees once a week.

Last edited:
I've seen people over the years express concern when pre-season sessions aren't physically intense enough. I've never quite understood that perspective. The players who always play with complete intensity will always bring it once the real stuff begins. Someone like Parker we know will never, ever shirk a contest once that first ball is bounced in round 1, so we don't need him proving it now and doing something that could hurt himself or somebody else before the season's even started. It must be unusual for them not to play like that when it's the only way they know how. But it's also probably why, in all my years reading training reports and coaches summaries, hard nuts like Parker and JPK have never been pre-season standouts, but then go on to be monsters in the season proper. They know when and how to flick the switch.

Where full intensity can be advantageous would be for the fringe players trying to claim a spot. If someone like, say, Sheather or Hall-Kahan or Sheldrick came out like rabid dogs in training sessions, that can catch the eye and take them from the chasing pack to someone potentially in the pack.

The players are still physically working hard. They all looked exhausted after the repeat sprints on Monday.

I think the coaches don't want them to be overly aggressive during the match sims drills. Because there could be other purposes for the drill than smashing each other up.

They still do physical stuff like 1 on 1 tackling, picking up possession under physical pressure and contested marking. But it would be a more controlled situation than a match scenario.

Last edited:
On Friday morning I got there at 9.30am and training was well underway. There had been heavy rain a bit earlier. But for most of the session it was intermittent light rain which created slippery conditions at times.

- First drill I saw was a 5 vs 5 handball drill in a tight narrow corridor. One team had to handball through the other team in a congested space. There was tackling and physical contact equivalent to contested football in a pack of players. And usually the attacking team would fail to be able to handball through.

- Next was about 25minutes of a match sim. I think it was maybe 17 vs 16(?) on the full oval and closest to a proper match that I had seen so far this preseason. There was tackling and moderate physical contact. And the coaches would try to let it flow. They swapped at half time to give both teams a opportunity to have an extra player. It was fairly free flowing. The extra man and the openness of the full oval encouraged the attacking team to move the ball to space, keep possession with shorter passes and use running players when they could.

- Then another handball drill. 4 attackers handballing past 3 opposing players in a narrow corridor. Though there was much more space than the earlier handball drill. And the attacking team would easily be able to use their extra number to get through.

- Next drill used most of the length and width of the oval. 7 attacking players would move the ball past 5 opposing players. The attacking players started off in 3 wide lanes so it encouraged them to use long diagonal kicks and the width of the oval. But they could also run with the ball and handball their way through.

- Next was 15 vs 12 using the full oval. But more similar to a drill than a match sim. The attacking team would start from a stoppage or loose ball in their defensive half. And then move the ball upfield till they kicked a goal. Then the coaches would reset and start the drill again. So this was more stop start than the earlier 25 minutes match sim.

- When I left a bit after 11am, training was still going and they had started to do some running in groups.

Last edited:
On Friday morning I got there at 9.30am and training was well underway. There had been heavy rain a bit earlier. But for most of the session it was intermittent light rain which created slippery conditions at times.

- First drill I saw was a 5 vs 5 handball drill in a tight narrow corridor. One team had to handball through the other team in a congested space. There was tackling and physical contact equivalent to contested football in a pack of players. And usually the attacking team would fail to be able to handball through.

- Next was about 25minutes of a match sim. I think it was maybe 17 vs 16(?) on the full oval and closest to a proper match that I had seen so far this preseason. There was tackling and moderate physical contact. And the coaches would try to let it flow. They swapped at half time to give both teams a opportunity to have an extra player. It was fairly free flowing. The extra man and the openness of the full oval encouraged the attacking team to move the ball to space, keep possession with shorter passes and use running players when they could.

- Then another handball drill. 4 attackers handballing past 3 opposing players in a narrow corridor. Though there was much more space than the earlier handball drill. And the attacking team would easily be able to use their extra number to get through.

- Next drill used most of the length and width of the oval. 7 attacking players would move the ball past 5 opposing players. The attacking players started off in 3 wide lanes so it encouraged them to use long diagonal kicks and the width of the oval. But they could also run with the ball and handball their way through.

- Next was 15 vs 12 using the full oval. But more similar to a drill than a match sim. The attacking team would start from a stoppage or loose ball in their defensive half. And then move the ball upfield till they kicked a goal. Then the coaches would reset and start the drill again. So this was more stop start than the earlier 25 minutes match sim.

- When I left a bit after 11am, training was still going and they had started to do some running in groups.
These reports really are greatly appreciated. With our media team being next to useless, I don't think many realise how little an idea of what is going on we'd have if it weren't for your reports. Keep it up if possible, although you've long surpassed your generosity quota!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 2 bobs re who plays, who doesn’t.
I want to see more rotation in the team, resting players, managing players, ensuring we don’t limp into the finals.
Playing better footy in the first half of the season and not being equal 8th on the ladder by round 17 helps. Basically had to compress a season-saving run into nine games which meant fielding the best team we possibly could and not having the luxury of player management.

Got there Monday after 9.30am and training would have been going for a while.

-At the beginning I saw Reid, Franklin and Hickey doing stuff on one side of the oval. Reid and Franklin stayed longer running and kicking the ball to each other. Melican was in the main group and seemed to do almost all of the session. Hall Kahan and Rankin were also in the main group now rather than doing constant running around the oval.

- They were doing a drill when I got there. Split up into 3 teams and split the oval in 2 lengthwise. Team A attacks against team B and once they score a goal. Team C starts attacking the other way on the adjacent oval against team A. Then once they have scored, team B starts attacking on adjacent oval against team C. They did a very similar drill last week. But today they allowed a lot of time for the defending team to get into position. So it seemed less about counter attacking against an exposed opponent trying to get back into position.

- Then set up on 4 corners of a large square and did a simple long kicking drill. Players would just have to kick and then run to the adjacent corner.

- Next split up into 3 teams and played 3 games of round robin 12 vs 12 on a reduced sized oval. Konstanty got a big cheer from the players for a defensive effort. He made an initial tackle on a player to force a rushed disposal. Then got up and chased and dragged down the next player catching him holding the ball. Also saw Florent go for a few runs from defence and use the ball well with short passes. Also saw Hayward's athleticism with his pace and leap. He was able to intercept a few kicks in the forward line and get into space to take marks.

- Next after a small amount of running. They split between mids and fwds/defenders. Mids were doing some kind of 7vs7 game originating out of stoppage. I went over to the Northern goal to watch the fwds/defenders. They were doing 3 vs 3 contests. There would be a long high kick to 2 talls competing in the goal square with 4 smalls/mediums running in to crumb. Each group got to face 3 consecutive aerial contests so they had to reset quickly. Watching up close I appreciated having a key defender like T.McCartin. He was was able to use his bodywork and reading the flight of the ball to regularly take clean contested marks above his head. So often there was not a crumbing opportunity for his opponents.

- Rest of the session seemed fairly light and easygoing. A few players had to do a few pushups and have shots at goal from 30m directly in front. Then rotated through 3 skill stations. (A handball game handpassing between poles, picking up a loose ball under pressure and a kicking drill.) Then they did a simple ball movement drill moving it from a goal kick-in to the opposite goal. When I left around 11am the players were starting to do their own unstructured stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back