Preview 2023 Rd 12 Carlton vs Melbourne Friday June 2 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Alex Cincotta, Zac Fisher, Lochie O'Brien, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young
OUT: Corey Durdin (knee), George Hewett (concussion), Ollie Hollands (collarbone), Nic Newman (hamstring), Marc Pittonet (hand), Ed Curnow

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Lewis YoungMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jesse MotlopCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningMatthew KennedyAdam Cerra
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellSam Docherty
Lochie O'Brien
Emergencies:Ed CurnowPaddy DowLachie Fogarty
Lachie Plowman

I need suggestions for things to do when Carlton are playing.

I’m probably old enough to join the local men’s shed but I’m scared they’ll have a telly on in the corner.

Might volunteer at the dog shelter, can’t be angry when you’re looking after the poochies.
Theory is solid but all it takes is one blue heeler to look all excited, try to piss on a tree but miss & then roll over on to its back & you’ll be right back thinking about the club 😂

I thought we recruited him as a fwd and then nearly pissed him off. Maybe he's betterer now, who knows could work.
Has played all of 2 games up forward with both Harry and Charlie (not including his first season when the two talls were quite green).

Could work, but at the same time problems everywhere you look, where do you start.

Kemp wasn't solely responsible for all of those goals...

Kemp the whipping boy!

I wonder who your whipping boy will be once he's dropped...

Oh I know, it'll be Dow! No way he doesn't play with all those injuries...
Kinda funny tbh. Idk what poor Kemp did. He played well. Went hard took some intercepts weits clearly had confidence in him. Swans just allowed to transition to fast and free. Never really a full backs fault in those cases. Kid just needs a block to build into the team. As long as the team doesn't fully combust around him :/

Kinda funny tbh. Idk what poor Kemp did. He played well. Went hard took some intercepts weits clearly had confidence in him. Swans just allowed to transition to fast and free. Never really a full backs fault in those cases. Kid just needs a block to build into the team. As long as the team doesn't fully combust around him :/

Yeah look he made some mistakes, but hardly warrants being dropped, especially considering the circumstances.

Hope we see Cincotta, Saad and Boyd in the same team next week - offers a bit of speed, spark and good ball use (theoretically at least). Cincotta shouldn't have been dropped in the first place imo.

Feel like Boyd's performance v Swans has been overlooked a bit. Not that it was anything remarkable, but for a bloke who has played ~10 games and only 2 this year, his courage, self-belief and kicking is just about best in team, not to mention willingness to attack. Shaping up as an amazing pick-up and may well end up in the middle, in due course.

Last edited:
Cerra probably get a week but I think afl getting this wrong - you don't want guys bringing players to ground yet they let them stand in a tackle for an eternity to get rid of the ball - cerra giving significant hieght and weight if he just hangs on to him player hickey stands up until he can handball .. what was he meant to do ..

OUT: Cerra (susp), Newman (inj), Hewett (inj), Hollands (inj/rest), Durdin (rest), Pittonet (rest), E.Curnow (sub/rest)
IN: Cincotta, Marchbank, Dow, O'Brien, Silvagni, Young

FB: Marchbank Weitering McGovern
HB: Boyd Young Saad
C: Walsh Kennedy Acres
HF: Motlop C.Curnow O'Brien
FF: Silvagni McKay Owies

R: TDK Cripps Dow

Int: Cottrell (OM), Docherty (IM), Kemp (fwd/IM), Cincotta (def)

EMG: Fisher, E.Curnow, Binns, Pittonet

Silvagni, Kemp, Kennedy to rotate between mid and forward. Only TDK contests centre bounces (rotation management). Motlop to get some centre bounce looks.

There's absolutely no point trying to compete against their 2 rucks from a direct personnel perspective, we just can't. Don't do it, play off them, play a system off them and we can generate clearances and first options through diverse inside midfield talent. Pittonet has looked flat for 2 games in a row despite good ruck craft, and he's now at 3 games in 13 days.

Two spots up forward for the midfield to rotate through, emphasis on speed and endurance with players coming in. Open up the game with composed run and dare, distribute the ball to first option quickly and buy space for each other through the easier overlap run and intercepting capabilities of the changes.

I'm of the belief that Cerra will miss, and that Cripps caught his own weight quickly enough on his opposite leg that his ankle will hold up. Didn't seem to give way, neither did the knee.

Not a fan of the intensity level Fisher showed for huge chunks of the VFL game, got a lot of disposals from sagging off despite some promising moments. Doesn't escape enough contests with speed or guile that would serve him at AFL level, and dinked the ball around too much. Would rather the opposition being pressed with scrambled kicks to smart areas - and attempts to move the ball quickly that catch them off guard - than waiting around to play perfect footy.

Binns very close but just lacks an edge for the moment. Probably winds up being the sub to give Ed a break, and Fisher a chance to continue building form.

Cerra probably get a week but I think afl getting this wrong - you don't want guys bringing players to ground yet they let them stand in a tackle for an eternity to get rid of the ball - cerra giving significant hieght and weight if he just hangs on to him player hickey stands up until he can handball .. what was he meant to do ..
Make more of an attempt to control the motion and thus protect the player's head.

OUT: Cerra (susp), Newman (inj), Hewett (inj), Hollands (inj/rest), Durdin (rest), Pittonet (rest), E.Curnow (sub/rest)
IN: Cincotta, Marchbank, Dow, O'Brien, Silvagni, Young

FB: Marchbank Weitering McGovern
HB: Boyd Young Saad
C: Walsh Kennedy Acres
HF: Motlop C.Curnow O'Brien
FF: Silvagni McKay Owies

R: TDK Cripps Dow

Int: Cottrell (OM), Docherty (IM), Kemp (fwd/IM), Cincotta (def)

EMG: Fisher, E.Curnow, Binns, Pittonet

Silvagni, Kemp, Kennedy to rotate between mid and forward. Only TDK contests centre bounces (rotation management). Motlop to get some centre bounce looks.

There's absolutely no point trying to compete against their 2 rucks from a direct personnel perspective, we just can't. Don't do it, play off them, play a system off them and we can generate clearances and first options through diverse inside midfield talent. Pittonet has looked flat for 2 games in a row despite good ruck craft, and he's now at 3 games in 13 days.

Two spots up forward for the midfield to rotate through, emphasis on speed and endurance with players coming in. Open up the game with composed run and dare, distribute the ball to first option quickly and buy space for each other through the easier overlap run and intercepting capabilities of the changes.

I'm of the belief that Cerra will miss, and that Cripps caught his own weight quickly enough on his opposite leg that his ankle will hold up. Didn't seem to give way, neither did the knee.

Not a fan of the intensity level Fisher showed for huge chunks of the VFL game, got a lot of disposals from sagging off despite some promising moments. Doesn't escape enough contests with speed or guile that would serve him at AFL level, and dinked the ball around too much. Would rather the opposition being pressed with scrambled kicks to smart areas - and attempts to move the ball quickly that catch them off guard - than waiting around to play perfect footy.

Binns very close but just lacks an edge for the moment. Probably winds up being the sub to give Ed a break, and Fisher a chance to continue building form.

Make more of an attempt to control the motion and thus protect the player's head.

That will be the softest team Carlton have ever esembled

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maximum shitness requires maximum changes. We’re going to get flogged so might as well play some different players and reward VFL form.

So many players deserve to be dropped.

Cripps - Let the ankle be the excuse to get him out of the side but he was abysmal. Constantly beaten to the footy. Lazy. No offensive impact and his opponents killed him the other way all game.

Motlop, Durdin & Owies - the worst small forwards in the comp. Never front and center. Barely tackle or apply forward pressure. Always out of position. We should only be playing one of these three at most.

McGovern - Genuinely afraid of the contest. Defensive liability. Can’t remember the last time he dropped back in the slot and took an intercept mark. Looked OK with ball in hand for a change.

McKay - Needs to see a sports psychologist urgently.

Ed Curnow - Gives us nothing. Shouldn’t even be on the list let alone in the side. Newnes offered more.

Kennedy - If we’re playing him as a permanent HBF then drop him because he’s terrible at his new position. Personally I’d put him in the middle.

Last edited:
This probably isn't the right thread, but when we lose this game, something has gotta give. Either the coach, board etc. The supporters are at the verge of mutiny

Team?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we could manufacture a Jake Lever mask and ask Charlie if he wouldn’t mind donning it for a couple of hours on Friday night, we might just tidy up our forward 50 entries.

Lowering the eyes doesn’t seem to be an option, so time for Plan B.

Out Cerra in Fisher
Out Hewett in Dow
Out Hollands in Binns
Out Newman in Cincotta

LOB as sub over Curnow

We are a fair bit weaker but a little bit more pace. We will struggle for height in the backline but I’m not sure if they want Young back in yet.
Changes won’t fix our problems anyway. If we stop Lever and May having a field day intercepting then atleast we have worked on something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back