Autopsy 2023 Rd 22 Blues win a thriller. Finals closer.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a lot of love for TDK….but not enough.

His second half was out of this world. The spoil at the end was all heart mother *er. He’s all heart. He’s come of age.

I would like him to ruck 80 percent now. I think Pitto gets one more game due to Witts. Then it’s over to TDK and sos.

Tom De Koning should never play VFL again. The ruckman/forward was enormous against Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy and was clearly his best game for Carlton. He only had one hitout to advantage, but he competed fiercely, especially in the third quarter. In that quarter, he had 10 disposals, nine of them contested and three clearances. When it was Pittonet v Gawn, Carlton lost the clearances 16-20. When it was De Koning v Gawn it was 13-12 to the Blues. He is the future.

Plenty of deliberate out of bounds in the last two minutes I don’t know if they where all there, not sure what players can do
We were very lucky in that last 2 minutes. Set up poorly and some horrid decision making. Certainly didn't look like a side that was prepared for it well enough.

Does anyone else think we and The Dees arr building towards a spicy rivalry in the next few years (esp if/when meet in finals)

I get the impression both our players and theirs really don't like each other much, which is strong ingredient in any strong rivalry !

Not sure but Viney don’t like us at all.Was dirty as after the loss.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This guy :blueheart:

F3de1RMaoAAqj2J

TDK has one major flaw.

He drops a lot of marks he has done all the hard work to get to but doesn't clunk enough of them.

If he could start to hold onto them he'll reach that next level.
True, but he is so close to being a fantastic player. Next year barring injury, he will be one of the top five ruckmen in the league.

We were very lucky in that last 2 minutes. Set up poorly and some horrid decision making. Certainly didn't look like a side that was prepared for it well enough.
Hmm dunno got the ball out eventually it was pretty manic & they will learn
Awesome to hang in & get the win pretty mature performance from a side with top
End talent out

Commentators were all saying the game was finals-like for intensity. Would imagine every player for us, except Ed were really feeling it. Absolutely run themselves ragged for two hour's.

Watched those last 2 minutes again today - few things I picked up that I missed in there
  • The heat was immense & our guys did all they could literally all they could until the last scrap on the wing when the siren went.
  • Blake launching full body at Trac's boot on that last kick for goal
  • TDK somehow got a fist on the ball over Gawn in a pack of 20
  • You'd rather the deliberate on the wing & go again than get pinged in their forward line.
  • Just needed a Harry or a SOS or Charlie up the line to clunk one
  • Hewett b@lls of steel calm AF & turned his back on the Melbourne goals
  • Newy......PLS don't clear to the centre again in those types of games LOL
  • Ball touched Calebs right forearm that was being held no way in FK he touched it with his left
  • Goal umpire was literally 1 x metre in front of them looking RIGHT there, you need to back him in on the call
  • Trac needs to train getting more penetration on his kicks instead of cooking on TikTok
Blues win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched those last 2 minutes again today - few things I picked up that I missed in there
  • The heat was immense & our guys did all they could literally all they could until the last scrap on the wing when the siren went.
  • Blake launching full body at Trac's boot on that last kick for goal
  • TDK somehow got a fist on the ball over Gawn in a pack of 20
  • You'd rather the deliberate on the wing & go again than get pinged in their forward line.
  • Just needed a Harry or a SOS or Charlie up the line to clunk one
  • Hewett b@lls of steel calm AF & turned his back on the Melbourne goals
  • Newy......PLS don't clear to the centre again in those types of games LOL
  • Ball touched Calebs right forearm that was being held no way in FK he touched it with his left
  • Goal umpire was literally 1 x metre in front of them looking RIGHT there, you need to back him in on the call
  • Trac needs to train getting more penetration on his kicks instead of cooking on TikTok
Blues win
If you can watch the vision of this play again, TDK sprints 20m to get to that contest

If you can watch the vision of this play again, TDK sprints 20m to get to that contest
And I guess that's another argument for the two rucks - TDK in particular seemed to have a lot more in the tank at the end of the game than I've seen from him previously. Gawn was spent.

Commentators were all saying the game was finals-like for intensity. Would imagine every player for us, except Ed were really feeling it. Absolutely run themselves ragged for two hour's.
No doubt it was. It's only going to get harder from here. Intensity goes up a few notches so we need to be better prepared. Sat behind the play on level 2 and it was clear we were somewhat disorganised. Martin not completely sure if he should be behind the footy or in the forward half. Same with some of the other deep forwards. There is no way Charlie should have been left one out against 3 demons players.

It's a positive though. Plenty to work through and a great time to be put in a position like that.

There are no rules for Shepherding on the goal line if it’s your team going for goal.

This has been the case for so long.

I’m pretty sure the same rules are everywhere on the ground, just not adjudicated the same way from the goal square like up the field.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gee whiz I was having flashbacks of last year in the final 2 mins. Marchbank is special. Finally people are seeing that our list really is top tier and that it isn’t overrated, and with many outs also the depth ain’t too bad either. I doubt we’ll finish in the 4 but 5th and vs dees/pies and knock them out in straight sets would be the dream. But how many balls does TDK wanna let straight through his hands. He shouldn’t be playing as a forward in the long term.

Agree entirely, I know they were buggered, but there just was not any attempt or even look to lay off a 15 metre short pass and keep control of the ball.
Was infuriating to me, need to better next time in the same situation

Just lucky George was Wiley enough to get front n square a few times in that last 2 minutes and think his way through the panic

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Coaches' Votes

9 - George Hewett (CARL)
7 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
7 - Nicholas Newman (CARL)
3 -
Jack Viney (MELB)
2 - Angus Brayshaw (MELB)
1 - Christian Petracca (MELB)
1 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)

I can't put into words how much I love this club or what it gives me back.

But glad dam we are back to playing great footy win or lose I'll take it.

Dow, the haters have to go.. he went back to the Magoos and has grown and should be in the starting midfield when all stars are back.

Onwards and upwards

Dow Cerra Walsh Docherty bursting out of stoppage, rotation and keeping each other fresh for 4 quarters. Hell yes, this is where modern footy is at.

Our best is yet to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 22 Blues win a thriller. Finals closer.

Back