Preview 2023 Rd 9 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Saturday May 13 7:30PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Matthew Owies
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), Josh Honey (Omitted), Brodie Kemp (Omitted)

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Matt KennedyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowJordan BoydLachie Fogarty
Brodie Kemp

Bit harsh to single him out of all our defenders. Same amount of turnovers as four of them and less than Young. Kicking efficiency around the same mark as Saad and Kemp.

Pressure acts: Saad 13, Newman 11, Cincotta 10, McGovern 9, Kemp 9, Young 5, Weitering 4.

Surely his great first game earns him some selection good will after a poor team effort in the second game.
One contested 1v1 all game, barely any intercepts. Basically played wing, and he couldn't deliver into the 50. Pressure acts reflect him being in stoppages more.
So harsh Jim. Cincotta had one clanger for the game. If he has to be dropped for one clanger then we should give it away.
I watched him burn kicks into the 50 because he could barely get boot on the ball. Not good enough, and couldn't apply pressure when the ball was going the other way.

Does seem to get more shots at goal than either Motlop or durdin (off top of the head, no stats behind that)

But as you say, not going to make much of a difference.

Hell, he'll be in the gun here if we lose and people screaming to bring back honey (who all of a sudden turns into a gun when not in the side, as they all do )

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m actually saying it’s surprising the difference he appears to make.

So harsh Jim. Cincotta had one clanger for the game. If he has to be dropped for one clanger then we should give it away.
His only clanger happened in the last quarter which miscued along on the boundary on his left…
Good first half, a little quiet in the third and better last quarter…
Not getting dropped another solid game…

Last edited:
Imagine being a coach and you change the way we play because the media said to.....

If that's the case, then we need a new coach

A smart coach won’t close himself off from any reasonable suggestions regardless of the source, especially when things aren’t working right. History has shown the worst thing is a Carlton coach who sticks to their game plan no matter what and sticks their head in the sand and ends up in the graveyard of ex-Blues coaches. Being flexible and open to continual learning and tweaking is key and I think Voss is not too prideful and above himself to do that. He’s been saying that himself in his pressers about learnings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Honey (omit) Hollands (managed) Newman (susp)
In: Owies, Cottrell, Boyd

I also think Kennedy deserves a full game ahead of Ed but doubt it happens.

Perfect changes…hopefully Ed is dropped for Kennedy…don’t think it’s a coincidence that our midfield hasn’t been the same since Ed’s been in the team

Serious changes to the midfield need to be made as we are to slow. We also need to stop overloading the contest as when we win, we are just outnumbered in attack.

Bring Dow into the team and move Walsh back into starting midfield not as the HF who comes in to be the extra mid.

Even though best 22, I’m not sure we can play all of Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett and Ed in the same team. Ed and Hewett (based on form this year) to be dropped.

Honey out for Owies.

I also think Doch needs to go back, we really on Saad way to much. Our movement out of the backline is Saad or nothing, and Saad mostly just bombs in 60m. Moving Doch back provides another smart user with Williams missing. The best sides have multiple great users of the footy out of the backline.

In: Dow, Kennedy, Owies
Out: Hewett, Honey, Curnow

We also need to get TDK into the team as an outlet if he’s not going to be first ruck. Use him as an option down the line or as a secondary deep forward

Hopefully fisher can show some form as we need his clean skills back in the team, along with Martin although not in the forward line. I’d try Martin at HB or wing

Would like this team to be tried when fit.

B: Kemp Weitering McGovern
HB: Saad Young Doch
C: Acres Cripps Cerra
HF: Fisher Harry Owies
F: Durdin Curnow Motlop
R: Pitto Walsh Dow

I/C: Newman Kennedy JSOS TDK
Sub: Martin

Last edited:
Imagine being a coach and you change the way we play because the media said to.....

If that's the case, then we need a new coach

I'm ok with that if our coach doesn't make adjustments. Media are saying what we are seeing ourzelvrs.xMost informed media comments are from footy heads, ex players in the media.

I love how Robbo and Gerard were also yelling advice at the game. It is so OBVIOUSLY WRONG!!!

Doesn't matter if we win this one or not. Missing finals not a failure so if we do lose its all good.
Absolutely. Just need to steady the ship and hold the line. Incremental improvements are sometimes hard to evaluate.

Nope..I saw a rich squad with half their blokes who had a history of poor skill execution win 3 flags with a game plan that mitigated against these skill issues
But our game plan that relies heavily on clean execution and aerial superiority. The fact that our coaching staff can't see that, or won't adapt the game plan based on the reality of it, puts it back on the coaches.

Even the bookies are trolling us.
I think the bookies are completely untrusting of both teams... which Carlton and which Bulldogs will turn up? Form suggests we have been consistently the same all season so you know what you're going to get from us. Dogs have won 4 of their last 5 albeit against bottom 8 opponents, one loss to Port.

We did get the one up on them last year aided by Hansen's fresh intel of his previous mob.... they have a few players in form too.... although we tend to match well against them I just can't shake the "if we don't make finals that won't be considered a failure" line coming out of our club.

Dogs by 42.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back