Preview 2023 Rd 9 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Saturday May 13 7:30PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Matthew Owies
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), Josh Honey (Omitted), Brodie Kemp (Omitted)

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Matt KennedyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowJordan BoydLachie Fogarty
Brodie Kemp

Doesn't even need to be a permanent shift - could swing him forward for 10 minutes here or there and see if it gives us a different look.

My concern with it is that our mids are generally pretty ordinary at hitting up targets at the best of times, so how much direct supply is he likely to get? And if we take him out of the backline, then fail to give him any supply as a forward, we've just short-staffed the defensive group for no reason.

If we play him forward I think there's two methods.

1. Park him deep in the goalsquare or in the pocket, sit the ball high to the square and direct Charlie/Harry to just body up as many defenders as possible, with the hope that Gov can launch over the pack.

2. Play him in the CHF role that Harry is currently filling. Use Gov as the last kick inside 50 as often as possible, with both one of Harry/Charlie anchored in the square and the other leading aggressively.
Trying anything would be nice.

One of my biggest critiques of the past few coaching staffs has been lack of creative thinking in regards to players and their roles.

This one seems to be falling into a similar pattern. They're not completely rigid, they have shifted a few around in the off-season. However my critique from their is in season role changing. They seem to stick to the roles without changing on the fly. Who from rd 1 is playing a different role to the one they're playing now? Even if it's the same position, just the role has shifted.

Maybe Harry? He's come up the field to the wings more, but I'd argue that's not brand new as he's done it at spurts for years. Perhaps doing it more consistently now, but it's not brand new. Either way this is perhaps the only one I've noticed.

Trying anything would be nice.

One of my biggest critiques of the past few coaching staffs has been lack of creative thinking in regards to players and their roles.

This one seems to be falling into a similar pattern. They're not completely rigid, they have shifted a few around in the off-season. However my critique from their is in season role changing. They seem to stick to the roles without changing on the fly. Who from rd 1 is playing a different role to the one they're playing now? Even if it's the same position, just the role has shifted.

Maybe Harry? He's come up the field to the wings more, but I'd argue that's not brand new as he's done it at spurts for years. Perhaps doing it more consistently now, but it's not brand new. Either way this is perhaps the only one I've noticed.

Harry as a high CHF.
Fisher as a floating outside mid playing across all three lines.
Kennedy, Hewett and Cerra all spending some time down back.
Doc starting occasionally as a HFF.
Silvagni swung into defence for short periods.
Young used as the second ruck.
Think I even remember seeing Charlie at a centre bounce at one stage.

We've made changes, none of them seem to have made much immediate impact though.

Harry as a high CHF.

We've made changes, none of them seem to have made much immediate impact though.
Glad to see someone else saw that.
The role I talked about a few times. We missed him last game, or at least that clean up role.
He wasnt there to win the ball much, but always there as a spare.

Harry as a high CHF.

Fisher has always played that role, sans the backline.
Hewett playing back isn't new, is for us though. Cerra too played HBF for Freo. Again new for us I suppose. Is for Kennedy, though clearly a poor swap.
Doc was talked about as a mid before his knees, so not uber creative but fair that's new for us.
Silvagni did that way back under Bolton at times, not new.
Young in 2nd ruck is another that isn't new but is for us.
I agree I do think I've seen that once or twice now that you mention it.

I suppose yes there's been changes but none of them really have been that creative or new. They'd mostly been done before. However, as I'm writing I'm realising that I'm not sure what else I'm expecting tbf there's only so many variations to be tried, so if not those then what really. They just haven't worked.

He literally said finals was one of the goals…

So many have missed this …

"If we're improving from last year as a team, not just ladder position but that connection within the group and what we're building towards, I don't see it as a failure"
"So I definitely wouldn't call it a failure, EVEN THOUGH IT'S OUR GOAL"

The issue you describe is exactly how I feel. Best case scenario when he gets the ball running away from his own goals is what really? giving a hand off, like you say... or perhaps having to turn and kick, which stops all his momentum and makes the kick weaker?

I'm not really sure what the supposed gain is and from what I can see it's only negatives. I'm sure there's something I'm missing as we keep doing it, so I'd love to know the positive from it.

I assume it's being done to "enhance" our ability to win the centre bounce clearance via an extra number but it only works if a) you win the clearance and b) you actually use Walsh as part of the possession train otherwise it's just redundant. Opportunistically it's quite hard to impact the centre bounce off a half forward with any sort of regularity.

Tbh I think Voss is trying to fit too many pure mids into the team and Walsh shouldn't be playing at HF. If every mid is fit to play a full game I'd remove Ed, Walsh can do a wing/middle rotation with Acres.

This would be my team for the dogs:

Out: Newman, Ed, one of Durds Mots or Honey (the reason for the last posi is my heart says give Honey a few more goes at it but I'm assuming he will go out)

In: Cotts, Boyd, Owies

Cin Young Gov
Boyd Weits Saad
Holls Cripps Acres
Cotts Charlie Jsos
Owies Harry ?

Pitt Cez George

Walsh Kennedy Kemp Doc

Gives us 6 mids to rotate: Acres, Cripps, Walsh, George, Cez and Doc. More run off the back line with Boyd included and another mid sized marking target with a tank who has shown to be a reliable set shot in Cotts.

Have said it before but I just don't think we need all three of Mots, Owies and Durds in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume it's being done to "enhance" our ability to win the centre bounce clearance via an extra number but it only works if a) you win the clearance and b) you actually use Walsh as part of the possession train otherwise it's just redundant. Opportunistically it's quite hard to impact the centre bounce off a half forward with any sort of regularity.

Tbh I think Voss is trying to fit too many pure mids into the team and Walsh shouldn't be playing at HF. If every mid is fit to play a full game I'd remove Ed, Walsh can do a wing/middle rotation with Acres.

This would be my team for the dogs:

Out: Newman, Ed, one of Durds Mots or Honey (the reason for the last posi is my heart says give Honey a few more goes at it but I'm assuming he will go out)

In: Cotts, Boyd, Owies

Cin Young Gov
Boyd Weits Saad
Holls Cripps Acres
Cotts Charlie Jsos
Owies Harry ?

Pitt Cez George

Walsh Kennedy Kemp Doc

Gives us 6 mids to rotate: Acres, Cripps, Walsh, George, Cez and Doc. More run off the back line with Boyd included and another mid sized marking target with a tank who has shown to be a reliable set shot in Cotts.

Have said it before but I just don't think we need all three of Mots, Owies and Durds in the team.
All 3 of those small forwards played v Cats. I don’t mind it as it gives us the flexibility to run Durdin through the middle, something we need to change for our failing mid mix

No. Cripps to Bont and start being accountable. It all starts with the leaders. No more playing midfielders defensive side of the contests to protect others. If they aren’t accountable and best their man, they can go to the VFL and learn how to. Enough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Be interesting to watch Cripps play as a deep defender most of the night as that’s where Bont will drag him if this match up occurred.

All 3 of those small forwards played v Cats. I don’t mind it as it gives us the flexibility to run Durdin through the middle, something we need to change for our failing mid mix

I wouldn't mind seeing that with Durds but Voss hasn't tried it as yet has he?

My wider issue is are we getting what we need with all three in the team at the same time. Not saying any are a bust but to use the current buss word I'm not convinced our "balance" is right in the front half.

Be interesting to watch Cripps play as a deep defender most of the night as that’s where Bont will drag him if this match up occurred.
How about Cripps winning the ball and pushing forward - make Bont chase him.
Let’s get some offensive thinking back in our minds.

Last edited:
voss game em a good bake in the review (probably to be expected) lets see if it does anything.
Don’t see why though? I mean effort was there and Voss acknowledged this at his post match presser.

Voss blamed poor execution for the loss so yelling/screaming/baking players for that is a bit of a waste and not appropriate imo. they are what they are. Baking won’t change that.

Don’t see why though? I mean effort was there and Voss acknowledged this at his post match presser.

Voss blamed poor execution for the loss so yelling/screaming/baking players for that is a bit of a waste and not appropriate imo. they are what they are. Baking won’t change that.
Effort in the contest was fine but effort off the ball was deplorable. No one moving to create space in that 3rd qtr lost us the game - it was like statues staring at the kicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back