Game Day 2023 Round 14 Lions v Bloods Friday 16 June 7:50pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have shown we could magically flip the switch mid season the past 2 years but at the same time it was never really this dire.

Okay, maybe we lost to the bottom 4 version of Essington last season but we did beat good sides to start the year. Not so this season.

Another nail in the coffin if we lose today though.

So you think a Swans side without:

Tom McCartin
Paddy McCartin
Sam Reid
Isaac Heeney
Callum Mills
Lance Franklin
Logan McDonald

are going to beat a top 4 contender, at their home?

Did you see the Swans skills on display vs St Kilda last week?

I like to believe we can (and will) win every game.

But - the pragmatist in me sees a victory tonight as very unlikely (as per the bookies, who rate our chances as 1 in 7). Indeed, the most likely outcome is a 40 point drubbing & the sad realization that this season is indeed done.

Having said that, there's always hope. Who knows, perhaps the whole Gunston / Rich thing is reflective of toxicity in the Lions & their wheels will fall off?

I enjoy clutching at straws.

For me it's an effort thing. We just don't try hard enough at all. Makes it easy to believe that simply turning up with the right intensity alone can make us much better than what we have been.

When and where the arrival of that intensity will come, I don't know. But I know it will come.

i think that's really harsh and unfair
the team has been smashed by key injuries
what's hurting us is a lack of cohesion, broken systems, structures, etc, (which all contribute to leaving the team spirit in tatters) far more than a lack of effort
for example, blakey ... one of your faves, and mine ... you cannot fault his effort but he's playing at the heart of defence without the big guns and stalwarts he had around him last year

we've lost rucks, key defenders, forwards and a "heart" player such as mills
i've said before ... this is nothing like the team we hoped we'd have this year ...
the adversity of this season will (hopefully) be a great learning experience for a lot of our young players

what's hurting us is a lack of cohesion, broken systems, structures, etc, (which all contribute to leaving the team spirit in tatters) far more than a lack of effort
for example, blakey ... one of your faves, and mine ... you cannot fault his effort but he's playing at the heart of defence without the big guns and stalwarts he had around him last year

i've said before ... this is nothing like the team we hoped we'd have this year ...
the adversity of this season will (hopefully) be a great learning experience for a lot of our young players

Disagree with all of this.

Collingwood have been battered by injuries this season, too - Howe, Lipinski, McStay, Cameron, Cox, Ginnivan. All those players are fairly important to them and their structures. But the difference is, they just bring the next man in...none of this 'woe is us' mentality that the Swans + Longmire seem to have this season.

We've been fairly lucky with injuries over 2021/22 and now that we're being hit by them, it's frustrating to always hear Longmire bring them up as an excuse when you get coaches like McRae who embrace opportunities like these and gets on with the job.

Yes, we have injuries, but they surely don't affect the selected teams mentality to the point where they can't compete because we're missing some talls or a "heart n soul" player. Regardless of who is missing and who's in the team, you have to compete for the whole game, not when you feel like it. The Swans this year, unfortunately, just seem to pick and choose when they want to turn up...and even when they do turn up, it's only briefly before they switch back off for a quarter.

Disagree with all of this.

Collingwood have been battered by injuries this season, too - Howe, Lipinski, McStay, Cameron, Cox, Ginnivan. All those players are fairly important to them and their structures. But the difference is, they just bring the next man in...none of this 'woe is us' mentality that the Swans + Longmire seem to have this season.

We've been fairly lucky with injuries over 2021/22 and now that we're being hit by them, it's frustrating to always hear Longmire bring them up as an excuse when you get coaches like McRae who embrace opportunities like these and gets on with the job.

Yes, we have injuries, but they surely don't affect the selected teams mentality to the point where they can't compete because we're missing some talls or a "heart n soul" player. Regardless of who is missing and who's in the team, you have to compete for the whole game, not when you feel like it. The Swans this year, unfortunately, just seem to pick and choose when they want to turn up...and even when they do turn up, it's only briefly before they switch back off for a quarter.

i don't think there's been any "woe is us", it's just the facts of the season

and you're right that those pies players you mentioned are "fairly important", but hardly key players
anyway, we see it differently
i just think it's harsh to suggest swans players aren't trying

No denying we've faced adversities this year, but they don't effect the non-negotiables. Like running hard both ways, like lack of physical pressure, like poor manning up, like sticking tackles. These are things that the most average of footballers can and should be able to do. We have some of the most talented of footballers and they don't do it. Their heads aren't in it. Get them back in the game and the things we all want to see - clean skills, effective ball movement, better opportunities - will roll on the back of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make it seem like we just had a bunch of school kids

Mills for example played most of the year while we played shit , that heart was no where

i don't think there's been any "woe is us", it's just the facts of the season

and you're right that those pies players you mentioned are "fairly important", but hardly key players
anyway, we see it differently
i just think it's harsh to suggest swans players aren't trying

I don't think any of us are suggesting Swans players don't try. I think we're suggesting that they pick and choose WHEN they want to try. Offensively, our players try most of the time. Defensively, our midfielders/forwards aren't at the level that we know they're capable of. It's absolutely a mentality that they've got themselves into and it's hard to break out of it.

It's all well and good running both ways and showing intensity when we're up and winning. But, when the backs are against the wall and we're getting beat, we just give up without much of a fight.

Howe is one of the best interceptors in the league; Cameron is their number one ruckman; McStay is their number one key forward; Ginnivan kicked 40 goals last year in his second season; Lipinksi is an underrated midfield gem (in my eyes); Cox is fairly important as that second ruck who can mark just about anything kicked on his head.

I would say all of those Collingwood players are pretty key to what the Pies are trying to do and achieve.

So you think a Swans side without:

Tom McCartin
Paddy McCartin
Sam Reid
Isaac Heeney
Callum Mills
Lance Franklin
Logan McDonald

are going to beat a top 4 contender, at their home?

Did you see the Swans skills on display vs St Kilda last week?

They lost to Hawthorn albeit at the MCG. As i said the worst of the top 4 lot

Former players used to talk about how you knew you were gonna have a tough day when you were coming up against the Swans. I highly doubt teams think that this year, nor do they play like they're scared of us or the challenge of facing us.

Why would they be?

They know they'll get a 10-15 minute window every quarter where we'll drop off and they can have a serious crack.

They know they can go end-to-end with their ball movement because we won't man up to stop them, nor will we run back to help out our defence.

They know they're not gonna be in many bruising tackles that they feel for minutes afterwards.

So if we wanna know why we so frequently get overrun in last quarters, spend three quarters letting a team develop belief and they'll believe.

The wildcard tonight is not which Swans team will show up, it’s which Lions team will we be playing.

They have not exactly been the model of consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back