List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the story on Gold Coast's gazillion picks - is the rule about only having as many picks as you have draft spots available not a thing any more?
Gold Coast’s list manager said they have 6 senior list spots available to take 6 picks to the draft.

So they’ll take the 6 second round picks they hold to the draft.

They might try and trade the fourth round picks they hold in to next year, during the pick exchange period, but I’m doubtful they’ll find a taker.

think they have extra list spots as a concession still
Extra rookie list spots.

I think those disappear this year or next.

I’ve bolded all the relevant parts that meet the requirements of your first post.

You didn’t mention anything about getting a game for us.

That was left to the interpretation of the reader.

I interpreted as a potential back up, not best 22, especially seeing as the post you replied to mentioned looking for a backup for Dunkley.

Hately has a (significantly?) better aerobic capacity than Lyons or Matho. Probably on par with Matho in terms of skill, etc.
I Answered the initial post about trading in a player to help out the likes of Dunkley!! So I'm pretty sure being in the best 22 was inferred. You certainly talk Hately up, but I Completely disagree on him would rather matho stay on the list.

It feels like it's been a while since we've gone into the draft with 5 list spots open that we haven't committed to anyone (whether that be re-draft someone in the rookie draft or a category B rookie).

I'd be stunned if we used all the spots - expect we'll keep at least 1 free for SSP options.

I'd be stunned if we used all the spots - expect we'll keep at least 1 free for SSP options.

Hard to see us wanting to use more than two, maybe three at a pinch, list spots in the main draft with our draft hand.

We would seem at this stage like players in the mid-season draft.

I Answered the initial post about trading in a player to help out the likes of Dunkley!! So I'm pretty sure being in the best 22 was inferred. You certainly talk Hately up, but I Completely disagree on him would rather matho stay on the list.
I’m not talking Hately up.

The only thing I’ve said about him, is that he is a better runner than Matho & Lyons.

I have said I’d consider him for a rookie spot, as a depth midfielder, essentially replacing Matho with a younger player.

Rhys Mathieson to be the next host of Blokes World

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is matho a chance to be signed as a Vfl only player? He's been such a great club man over the years, like Lester, a role model for the young lads coming in, certainly set standards in the ressies. I'd hate to see him lost to the club. Brothers of Dunkley and Rayner hardly added anything to the Vfl squad, Matho far out performing them.

Cut these from Mini-Match highlights ....... sorry about the quality ....... (but not bad for a near septuagenarian).

Someone mentioned earlier that some of his actions remind of McInerney .... I can see that too.

From these, don't expect too much in the way of forward 50 defensive pressure (probably similar to Big O output ........ (which would still be an upgrade on Gunston)

Don't know why it starts at 33 secs ...... just click back to the start.

Last edited:
Hard to see us wanting to use more than two, maybe three at a pinch, list spots in the main draft with our draft hand.

We would seem at this stage like players in the mid-season draft.
I'm fairly certain that Lane needs to be upgraded to the senior list next season so I reckon 2 picks in the draft will be about right.

Cut these from Mini-Match highlights ....... sorry about the quality ....... (but not bad for a near septuagenarian).

Someone mentioned earlier that some of his actions remind of McInerney .... I can see that too.

From these, don't expect too much in the way of forward 50 defensive pressure (probably similar to Big O output ........ (which would still be an upgrade on Gunston)

Awesome Crusha thanks so much, he marks it well, but hoping like hell we feed him 6 times a day and his 1st AFL preseason helps him put some muscle on.

As an aside was anyone else surprise the Hawks delisted Bramble? not sure he's a need for us but consider him to be a decent player.

Is matho a chance to be signed as a Vfl only player? He's been such a great club man over the years, like Lester, a role model for the young lads coming in, certainly set standards in the ressies. I'd hate to see him lost to the club. Brothers of Dunkley and Rayner hardly added anything to the Vfl squad, Matho far out performing them.
I thought of that although thinking again.
Last year we had when we had him and Lyons they took a lot of the mid time.
Which leaves less for other younger kids..
Although bigger bodies do help. so 50-50 on the idea

As an aside was anyone else surprise the Hawks delisted Bramble? not sure he's a need for us but consider him to be a decent player.

I haven't watched a lot of Hawthorn the past couple of years, but have to say after going through this number of the Box Hill VFL games from this year, that the one player who really stood out was Bramble ..... so I'd have to agree his de-listing is surprising.

The other who looked good was Koschitzke ......... especially seeing that he did a lot of (2nd) ruck work ............ he would have been a good pick up ........... if only we had known earlier that we were in need of a tall ......... (i.e. if the media commentary is correct).

Thanks for putting in the time to put together some of Ryans season VFL highlights.
Any player that is 200cm, takes contested marks and kick goals is worth getting on your list.
Just going on that clip, the one thing he should work on is kicking goals on his right foot around the corner style.
This should be easy to practice now that he is in a professional environment.
Twice in the clip he preferred the banana on his left. Both resulted in goals but is a low % kick in the modern game now.
In the early clips he had his right knee strapped along with a ruckmans' usual shin padding. So was doing some ruck work.
Good to see the knee strapping was gone in the later clips so over whatever slight injury he had.

Ryan has had 6 months at the Hawks to get used to an AFL environment and now will have his 1st AFL preseason with the Lions.
We will have to wait till preseason games to see if they plan to play him in the seniors.

Still on Ryan.
The Lions tend to play players they bring into the club that have played at AFL level.
Ryan slightly different in that he has only had the 3 games similar to Joyce last year.
But Joyce was a very late addition after the National and Rookie draft, due to Adams late decision to retire.

Below players we have got in the trade period the last 5 years with AFL experience.
The year is when traded so they played the following year.
Regular best 23 players i left out regarding game played the following year.

2022: Dunkley, McKenna, Gunston, Joyce played R1-3
2021: Fort Played R 1-13
2020: Daniher, Cockatoo R19-SF
2019: Birchall, Ah Chee 18 various games starting R2 ending PF, CEY 9 various games first being R3 last PF.
2018: Neale, Lyons, McCarthy, Adams R16-SF

So he should though right - he’s a listed player there to push for the AFL team while the top ups are there to make up a team sheet. If he hung around he’d get 40 touches a game which wouldn’t be good for the development of others

If Matho is still enjoying his footy I'd imagine he would go play VFL, SANFL or WAFL. Southport might suit if he wants to stay local. I wouldn't stay on as a VFL player at Brisbane where development is prioritised over players and success at times. Play for premierships, give it a red-hot crack each week. You only get a small window to play footy in your life.

So he should though right - he’s a listed player there to push for the AFL team while the top ups are there to make up a team sheet. If he hung around he’d get 40 touches a game which wouldn’t be good for the development of others
Yeah I get what you and davemc are saying. I hadn't thought of it like that and I think your both right. We will have Lyons playing a lot of Vfl next year and I think if he can become more coach like he'll be just as valuable as Matho would in that regards. Lyons may even get another year to be the mature mentor in the ressies but a break glass depth player. Good for Tunstill, he gets to take more responsibility, more time inside, it'll be good for him. Sharpie might get a bit more time closer to the ball as well.

Could Lohmann play a bit more on the ball, has he shown any ability there? If he could, would he become a bit more versatile to play a Bailey like role? That fwd/mid that can add a bit of zip around the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back