At this stage, it looks like the "commonly accepted" draft order will be:

1) NM - Reid
2) GCS - Walter (bid matched)
3) NM - Watson
4) WCE - Curtin
5) HAW - Duursma

Thoughts/opinions?
I think McKercher will go in the top 5.

Probably more 1. Reid 2 Walter 3 Curtin 4 McKercher.

We get to choose between Duursma and Watson.

North are allergic to bidding though and will probably try and trade 2 back to the suns.

All things being right in the world though North don’t get pick 2.

I don't know why but after listening to a few, I'm getting around having McKay alongside Sicily for 4-5 years. That way, we don't have to use a first round pick on a developing full back, use a more than handy back up in blanck when needed as well. Dgb can develop as a kp Frwd while one of Duursma/Watson (or hopefully both) develop in the frwd line! The team starts taking shape.

Just on Duursma, how good is he? What type of player is he?

I don't know why but when I hear Reid, Watson, McKercher, Curtain and Wiz I hear solid to very good AFL footballer vibes, but is Duursma another skinny, skillful Stephenson/Hoskin-Elliot type who dominates juniors but ultimately doesn't dominate in the AFL? Or is he different?

There's a decent hype around him, but to my limited knowledge, he feels the odd one out to the above group. I honestly don't know much about him other than first impressions.

Having said that, I do think Norf do need some assistance, and if the criteria was set to 3 consecutive wooden spoons I’d be comfortable with that.

3 consecutive spoons in a team who has already received priority pick supports, who are bursting with multiple years of 1st & 2nd rounders should = assistance in the form of an independent review of the club.

Governance, player development, spending & strategic planning at all levels. Send in the fixers

Now here's a defender I'd be relatively interested in. Lower cost acquisition than McKay, a spoil and defend first sort of player. Hopefully the addition of more key defenders tempers the market a bit more.

Now here's a defender I'd be relatively interested in. Lower cost acquisition than McKay, a spoil and defend first sort of player. Hopefully the addition of more key defenders tempers the market a bit more.

All my saints mates flipping hate him - turnovers, loose defending….
They can’t wait to see the back of him
Anyway let’s see how it plays out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All my saints mates *ing hate him - turnovers, loose defending….
They can’t wait to see the back of him
Anyway let’s see how it plays out
Familiarity breeds contempt.

Averages less turnovers than McKay, almost 10% better efficiency by foot. Attends more 1:1s, loses less, almost 2x the amount of spoils. Personally I've got a lot more faith in the defensive ability of the bloke coming from the best defensive side in the comp than I do in the one coming from the second worst.

I don't know why but when I hear Reid, Watson, McKercher, Curtain and Wiz I hear solid to very good AFL footballer vibes, but is Duursma another skinny, skillful Stephenson/Hoskin-Elliot type who dominates juniors but ultimately doesn't dominate in the AFL? Or is he different?

There's a decent hype around him, but to my limited knowledge, he feels the odd one out to the above group. I honestly don't know much about him other than first impressions.

Have only seen him once.

All the mail on him is that he is a Shaun Burgoyne type that will be able to play multiple positions.

Ben McKay is one of the best intercept mark defenders in the AFL with good contested marking, but he lacks in the spoils department shown by elite lockdown defenders.

All top 5 teams on the ladder have a number 1 defender with all of those traits; high stats averages in spoils, intercept Marks and contested marks. To put it in perspective of those teams Aliir Aliir has the lowest stat-line in these areas, so basically even the worst of the lot is a pretty damn good defender and definitely considered better than McKay.

Ben McKay fits into the next tier below elite defenders which is only slightly ahead of Esava Ratugolea. McKay’s intercept marking is more elite but Ratugolea has more athleticism testing equal 4th place in the 20 meter sprint at the 2016 combine which was faster than Shai Bolton.

Verdict
This is the Draft of tall defenders!! I hope the hawks instead decide to draft a lockdown full back. I’d even be fine if the hawks traded back a couple of spots and grabbed one of Conner O’Sullivan (7-10 range) or Ollie Murphy (13-17 range). Keep Blanc as the number 1 defender for now and hold onto DGB and Jekka as competition and depth.

Will Mcabbe will be a great help to the hawks defence but is much more of a centre half back.

Realistically I honestly don’t think we will draft O’Sullivan or Murphy which is the only reason I don’t hate the idea of picking up Mckay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will is very very skinny and we will need to be patient.

I watched his game against Box Hill and he was sublime just knew where ball was and made a mockery of a couple of really good experienced defenders.

He has an x-factor of class which neither of the two above have. Stephenson and Hoskin.

Last edited:
I watched his game against Box Hill and he was sublime just knew where ball was and made a mockery of a couple of really good experienced defenders.

He has an x-factor of class which neither of the two above have. Stephenson and Hoskin.
So did I. He had a couple of moments but really didn't have a good game. No goals and no marks and he had plenty of opportunities as Casey had 59 inside 50s. Casey won the game in a canter.

Seen a lot of him this year, heard Cal Twomey say he was like Shaun Burgoyne and scoffed for the obvious reasons that all these kids are always compared to the top guys but once you see it it is really difficult not to. Taller mid/forward that moves well and has more time than it looks, good skills and the difference between him and Stephenson and WHE is his he plays both ways and those two are only one way runners.

He can go into the middle and play like Will Day as the smooth moving taller mid and then go forward and play as that third leading guy too if needed

I know that there are a lot of people in here in on Watson but if they both hit I think there is a strong chance that at the end of their careers Duursma will be the better player due to positional versatility (not that Watson is only a small forward)

Stephenson had a very good start to his AFL career.

Duursma definitely has high upside. But I also see huge bust potential. It’s concerning to me he’s not dominated in the midfield. Seems like the sort of player that will only play well in space. Can be very hard to get that space at AFL level.

Still a talented player but with such a high draft pick I’d prefer we went with the players who are much more likely to come on e.g. Watson or McKercher.

With this talk of a key defender. I’m not sure what it says about Blanck.

Can we play Sicily, Blanck and Esava/McKay? That’s going to leave us very open to fast ball movement and leads.

Melbourne are the only team that makes 3 tall backs work but they also have May and Lever as two of them.

I dont really watch much of the draftees tbh . But my mate works in talent pathways so is all across it .
Last year when we drafted up to get Weddle he said we got the steal of the draft on the night.

He told me if we got Duursma you would take him and run .
In his opinion its a strong top 6-7 , not that much between them either .

So in short even if North get pick 2 we are getting a high end talent anyway.

I am not as concerned as others about our draft picks. They usually sort themselves out. These generational players are touted just about every year. Just work with the players you have and build your premiership side. I mean GWS and GCS should have won many premierships by now

Stephenson had a very good start to his AFL career.

Duursma definitely has high upside. But I also see huge bust potential. It’s concerning to me he’s not dominated in the midfield. Seems like the sort of player that will only play well in space. Can be very hard to get that space at AFL level.

Still a talented player but with such a high draft pick I’d prefer we went with the players who are much more likely to come on e.g. Watson or McKercher.
I don’t think he’s really had the opportunity to work on his craft as a midfielder. He was solid without dominating in a few games at the championships but didn’t play in the midfield at all last season…. As soon as he was played as a forward he was dominant. I think he has the potential to have an impact as a midfielder given time but his strengths at the moment are better suited as a forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back