Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm not bothered if we miss on any of the trades being discussed this year. There isn't much depth there and I certainly do not want the club to engage in crazy bidding wars or handing over high draft picks for average players, which is what is on offer this trade period. We have that experience. It doesn't benefit the club. We all know that we have structural issues but given where the club is at its still best to try and hit the draft with the best possible picks and keep soldiering on with developing the players we have. And I hope we don't make the mistake of trading out players who have been showing good signs. I can guarantee you other clubs will be looking to stitch us up because our football department is relatively young and new across the board. We need to be showing them we aren't easy pickings. Even though we made the right decisions with Mitchell and O'Meara last year the other clubs will likely see those trades, where we paid their salaries, as a sign that we can be got at. We aren't that desperate. We need to walk away if the price is too high (which it will be, given the state of the market - it is a seller's market because there isn't a whole lot there).

I am not saying for one moment the sky is falling in, but it is a reality we will need to deal with. We won’t have old superstar salaries to pay this year to help us. Being $3m plus positive with the Cap will allow us to land a big FA but what will it do to the pay scales? There is a lot to consider.
Gresham is very interesting. Henry replaces Brockman and if we don’t pay or play because of the Draft cost, that means Brocky goes without replacement, Bruest one year closer to retirement, an injured Chad, Kosi potentially going to Richmond/North!

No Draft table moves.

I am just saying it will become very difficult List Management wise.

It could be very interesting.

If every List move we make is met by a brick wall for the third year in a row, I am just saying it will not be healthy for List growth in my opinion.
What do you mean by "third year in a row"? We picked up Amon, Meek and Stephens last year. Where was the brick wall in those moves?

Everything is pure speculation this time of year.
We currently have a top 3 pick (Duursma, Watson, McKercher) an exciting F/S prospect coming our way (McCabe), and a stack of salary cap space to use to our advantage.
If other clubs want to be unreasonable with their trade demands we can easily walk away and out-price any club in the PSD, if required. We will be just fine.

Google

“Andrew Demetrius Crown Resorts” and
“Andrew Demetrius Acquire Learning”

…and tell me AD hasn’t covered himself in corporate 💩 since leaving the AFL. Bloke is more toxic than Alan Joyce.

His opinions mean nothing

804236.jpg

807072.jpg

People see a news article and freak the * out
Relax

See I get far more entertainment out of the chicken littling around here than any scooper account could ever deliver. Just grab the popcorn and enjoy.

People throwing toys out of the cot because Sydney might pay overs to get Ben McKay is making people get hysterical. Good lord - you couldn't make this stuff up.

I'm sure SM is working overtime - wheeling & dealing is not his strong suit (only my opinion) but thats not all his fault - clarko left a huge stink behind that Sam is cleaning up beautifully. We've gone from the red headed step child to the hot cousin. If Esava, BM & Gresh turn us down then we continue pushing for another first rounder.

No they trade better than us. I understand they have advantages, but they use those advantages to their benefit. I don’t know what the HFC will do if Gresham, Henry, Rats and McKay go elsewhere.

Talk about sensationalist here Tops. "I don't know what the HFC will do." We're taking about B-grade players here.

McKay is an injury-prone, inconsistent defender who would be a slight upgrade on Blanck based on current form. The fact Sydney may be offering him 900,000 isn't good trading it's lunacy.

Henry would be a good get but the sky doesn't fall if we don't get him.

Ratugolea I will drive to Port myself to keep him away.

Gresham is alright. This becomes more appealing with Chad missing most of 2024.

I'd be much happier with getting another first round pick this year than any of these players.

Last edited:
Take about sensationalist here Tops. "I don't know what the HFC will do." We're taking about B-grade players here.

McKay is an injury-prone, inconsistent defender who would be a slight upgrade on Blanck based on current form. The fact Sydney may be offering him 900,000 isn't good trading it's lunacy.

Quite honestly I'd be much happier with getting another first round pick this year than any of these players.
yep, we don't want to do a St.Kilda and "win" the trade period just because we got in a stack on mid range players
we need match winners and game changers - for now our best shot at that is the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they trade better than us. I understand they have advantages, but they use those advantages to their benefit. I don’t know what the HFC will do if Gresham, Henry, Rats and McKay go elsewhere.

That’s okay if they all walk, we head back to draft again.

Work on our draft hand, hopefully we have 3, the suns pick 4 and pick up a few extra mid selections.

We will attract players again soon enough.

Talk about sensationalist here Tops. "I don't know what the HFC will do." We're taking about B-grade players here.

I'd be much happier with getting another first round pick this year than any of these players.
But are we????

Since they lost cola have they traded better than us?
Exactly ! A lot easier to poach players when they had CoLa - spare me “ they traded better than us “ crap. Similar to the circle jerk about Geelong being so brilliant in luring Jack Bowes along with pick 7 from GC - please they got advanced notice from AFL that GC’s salary cap was bursting

Exactly ! A lot easier to poach players when they had CoLa - spare me “ they traded better than us “ crap. Similar to the circle jerk about Geelong being so brilliant in luring Jack Bowes along with pick 7 from GC - please they got advanced notice from AFL that GC’s salary cap was bursting
Yes, but we were poor in our response to this opportunity. Sorry, but true. Again my opinion.

Have you ever considered that some clubs can do things better than us from time to time and that not everything is some baffling conspiracy to make Hawthorn unhappy? Once again - Hocking was long gone from the AFL before the Suns recommitted to players on long term deals that helped make their cap unmanageable - Bowes' agent also is Dangerfield's agent hence the heads up and both Essendon and Hawthorn offered more money to Bowes who still opted, unsurprisingly, to play for a reigning premiership side in a small surf town when he is from Cairns. But, sure, believe that it was all some masterplan to make Hawks fans unhappy and that the St Kilda supporting CEO of the AFL is for some reason determined to make things easier on a single market club with fairly restrained ability to bring in more revenue to the game.

To be fair, Dangerfield started conversations with him almost a year out from that trade.

To be fair, Dangerfield started conversations with him almost a year out from that trade.

And they share a manager - but the simple explanation isn't as fun as believing that Hocking is some kind of Don Corleone with precognitive abilities and also Jedi mind tricks to convince poor Jack Bowes to take less money to play for a side that had just won a flag as opposed to a side that had just finished bottom 4 again or a side without a coach, CEO and was very publicly a basket case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back