Collins

And you could mount an argument the following are also ahead of him

Battle
Payne
Kemp
Laverde
Haynes
McGovern (2)
Geez you're stretching the definition of 'key defender' with some of your examples here. The fact is we don't have a second key defender to release Sicily into his preferred 3rd defender role. Mckay would have filled this space nicely. With our improving midfield and strong defensive system, I think Mckay would have been a great asset down back. Hopefully we're still a chance.

I don't understand what happened to this kid.
These highlights look every bit as good as Harley Reid's:
In some respects even better.
His game sense and ball handling are as good as any draftee I have seen.

Is he averse to hard work?
Because he would need to hit the gym hard (and the track) to make it in the AFL.
He is far too skinny to make it on talent alone, and would be limited as an outside player unless he had an elite tank.
So what's the story?

Could be a sneaky chance to parlay Brockman+Kosi+whatever utensils we have spare, into Hollands.
That would be an intriguing proposition.

He looks like he has developed physically a bit here: AFL Latest Videos - AFL.com.au

He looks a natural.
I am very interested.

Keep hearing attitude issues, which is interesting because his Dad and brother seemingly never had nor have the same queries.

I don't understand what happened to this kid.
These highlights look every bit as good as Harley Reid's:
In some respects even better.
His game sense and ball handling are as good as any draftee I have seen.

Is he averse to hard work?
Because he would need to hit the gym hard (and the track) to make it in the AFL.
He is far too skinny to make it on talent alone, and would be limited as an outside player unless he had an elite tank.
So what's the story?

Could be a sneaky chance to parlay Brockman+Kosi+whatever utensils we have spare, into Hollands.
That would be an intriguing proposition.

He looks like he has developed physically a bit here: AFL Latest Videos - AFL.com.au

He looks a natural.
I am very interested.

Damn yes… he was the best player in his year…

But did his knee

went to the GC. And has not come on. He will play our Box Hill team this week.

Many players come back from an acl….

I’d have him on our list.

Last edited:

Geez you're stretching the definition of 'key defender' with some of your examples here. The fact is we don't have a second key defender to release Sicily into his preferred 3rd defender role. Mckay would have filled this space nicely. With our improving midfield and strong defensive system, I think Mckay would have been a great asset down back. Hopefully we're still a chance.
McKay wouldn't have filled any spot in our team nicely. He would have filled it poorly and everyone would have complained about him constantly like we did with Frawley and then Frost, probably more so considering that, unlike McKay, Frawley and Frost never lacked for effort.

McKay wouldn't have filled any spot in our team nicely. He would have filled it poorly and everyone would have complained about him constantly like we did with Frawley and then Frost, probably more so considering that, unlike McKay, Frawley and Frost never lacked for effort.
Mckay as our highest paid player would have made for hilarious reading in post game threads, you can just picture the comments.

What I would give for Hayden Young. Bring him home

In no particular order, here are 24 Key Defenders ahead of McKay

Taylor
Weitering
Moore
Andrews
May
Ridley
Ballard
Balta
McCartin
Wilkie
Himmelberg
Barrass
Grimes
McGovern (1)
Lever
Sicily
Stewart
Pearce
Murphy
Aliir Aliir
Cox
SDK
Keath
Collins

And you could mount an argument the following are also ahead of him

Battle
Payne
Kemp
Laverde
Haynes
McGovern (2)
From a Hawthorn perspective Waitering, Taylor or Ballard would be the ultimate inclusion. None unfortunately will ever happen.

I did see the young WA key back playing for the dogs reserves on the weekend. He definitely has a future.

Sicily himself isn't even a key defender.

We have a history of bringing players to the club and making them 10-20% better. McKay would be/would have been a decent pickup, based on what we need and what's available.

We have one single key defender capable of playing on the gorilla forwards at this moment, who has the potential to be excellent, but is still raw as hell and still very much learning his craft.

TRADE TROUBLE

CLUBS are expecting plenty of trade stand-offs this year as the value of picks after the top 30 decreases in the eyes of list managers and recruiters.

With a shallow draft pool expected – clubs are predicting less than 60 picks are used at the national draft – there is set to be a flow-on for a number of deals that otherwise may be worth second- and third-round selections.
Clubs opting to use three or fewer draft picks may simply not see a value in later draft picks being exchanged for wantaway players, with impasses expected to be common in the trade period due to clubs simply not wanting to use picks past a certain range.

It will likely leave clubs pushing to instead trade for future selections, but the reverse effect of the draft class is that clubs keen to trade in players this year will be largely wanting to use 2023 selections to get deals done. – Callum Twomey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are underrating Ben McKay (slightly) in 2021 he was one of the better 1 on 1 defenders. Since then his side has won 4 more games, and he was clearly disenfranchised this year. Our back 6 would look much better with Blanck, McKay as the 2 big posts and to let Sicily play as the interceptor.
McKay is also a better than average intercept mark, which will be more than handy when teams start to put more work into Sicily as they did in the last month of the season.

WE'RE AFTER PLAYER X

--- Yay.

PLAYER X DOESNT WANT TO COME TO HAWTHORN.

---- Didn't want him anyway

(Rinse repeat)
Or:

WE'RE AFTER PLAYER X

--- Why? He's pathetic

PLAYER X DOESN'T WANT TO COME TO HAWTHORN.

---- Dodged a bullet there.

(Rinse repeat)

Or:

WE'RE AFTER PLAYER X

--- Why? He's pathetic

PLAYER X DOESN'T WANT TO COME TO HAWTHORN.

---- Dodged a bullet there.

(Rinse repeat)

Maybe I think the "pathetic" gets added in after we miss out, more often than not.

If player X is "pathetic", in people's views, what does that say about the coaches/list managers in those people's eyes?

Maybe I think the "pathetic" gets added in after we miss out, more often than not.

If player X is "pathetic", in people's views, what does that say about the coaches/list managers in those people's eyes?
True, just pointing out there is both of these attitudes in trade talk. People who want the player and change their minds and people who never wanted the player, and they live in the same universe.

it would've been like Chad on steroids and then if those steroids themselves were on HGH

I laugh at him. That Shiel deal was embarassing.
Where he promised the world? Then balked at the price, before relenting with 10 minutes to go. I thought the Daniher to Sydney was more embarrassing. Rejected a fair offer from Sydney, as he wanted the world, then failing to get the player he wanted as he didn’t want to pay their price. Then sooked, that it was all Sydney’s fault as they wouldn’t give him what he wanted. I’m pleased we have MM.

True, just pointing out there is both of these attitudes in trade talk. People who want the player and change their minds and people who never wanted the player, and they live in the same universe.
Let’s not kid ourselves - McKay would have been a key cog in helping up structure up our backline hence why the club chased him aggressively

We missed out but again no surprise from my end given the other two options where $ydney and the scum. Two sides that the AFL are desperate to succeed- AT ANY COST

What annoys me is that when it comes to trading, drafting, and FA compensation, we are constantly fighting with one hand tied behind our back whilst the golden child’s like GC, $ydney, Geelong are showered with free hits and the like

Let’s not kid ourselves - McKay would have been a key cog in helping up structure up our backline hence why the club chased him aggressively

We missed out but again no surprise from my end given the other two options where $ydney and the scum. Two sides that the AFL are desperate to succeed- AT ANY COST

What annoys me is that when it comes to trading, drafting, and FA compensation, we are constantly fighting with one hand tied behind our back whilst the golden child’s like GC, $ydney, Geelong are showered with free hits and the like
Perhaps we need to change our attitude to self sufficiency and HQ!

Father son could give us a couple of kpp to develop in McCabe and Dear.

We have Ryan and Ramsden, re-sign kosi. An look for another in the key forward in the draft. We may even have another smokie we have our eye on.

Add Duursma or Watson and we have young forward line to work on as we go.
The key forward stocks are not dire. That's rubbish talk. If DGB and Ramsden emerge next year as bonafide AFL players we will be fine. Add them to Ryan who with a good pre season will be there round 1. The issue is behind the ball which is why the significant interest in Esava and McKay. I'd be tempted to hold onto Jeka if a key back doesn't eventuate over the trade period as going with Frost again will leave us on that never ending cycle until he is no one longer at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back