Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a waste of time Brockman was. We took a chance on a WA boy- gave him the best chance to succeed even though he had family stuff going on and in return he gave us the absolute bare minimum - the club supported him throughout it all.

In the end he just selfishly insisted on West Coast even though the club got the bare minimum for him- kind of feel used in this scenario really… such as shame…

How about no.👍
Let's just keep Ryan.
Not for mine don’t rate him but shrewd business converting last pick of the MSD into that return.
afl yes GIF by Essendon FC

What a waste of time Brockman was. We took a chance on a WA boy- gave him the best chance to succeed even though he had family stuff going on and in return he gave us the absolute bare minimum - the club supported him throughout it all.

In the end he just selfishly insisted on West Coast even though the club got the bare minimum for him- kind of feel used in this scenario really… such as shame…

Have you left one company for another? And if so, did you then choose to go to a third company in order to look after the first company you were leaving?

Gunners for me is only for bag of potato chips or we move on.

No for Ryan.
If he passes a medical (he was banged up playing for the Lions) my guess is that Gunna is a best 15 in the 2024 for the Hawks.

Forwards need to create goals. Gunna knows how to do that.

We all like a tall fwd that takes a mark as we are starved for it.

Ryan, for all of his possibilities is not a patch on Gunna’s jeans.

I greatly dislike that Gunna left the Hawks last year. For me he lost a lot of love.

But Gunna for Ryan… Is a yes from me.

Tantrum Crying GIF

I am dumbfounded.

Ryan is, at best, a guy who needs to get a LOT better. He has zero, be clear Zero defensive attributes.

Ryan for Gunna… hell yes. Make it so.

Would Ryan be in our next GF team… ? Picture it…. How?

Gunna will improve our group. He now knows a next premiership is no longer an option. He wants to come back to the hawks to foster talent. And Gunston has the knowledge.

Ryan for Gunston… get it done.

Some others want other picks… bugger that …. Come home Gunna

Or maybe don't. There's some angry little vegemites on this board.
KL, there are a significant majority that appreciate each of your posts, and we greatly out number those with an angry disposition. But I am confident that even the grumpy now agree … your words have weight.

Last edited:
Thx. Do you know the circumstance where players become Ufa, such as being delisted, not being drafted etc.….for example isn’t Dylan Moore a life UFA?
A player becomes an UFA in a few different ways -

1. They've been at a club for 8 years and are outside the top 25% of the top paid players at their club
2. They've been at a club for 10 years
3. They've become an UFA at any other point, either by delisting, leaving as an UFA in either circumstance explained in point 1 and 2.

I am dumbfounded.

Ryan is, at best, a guy who needs to get a LOT better. He has zero, be clear Zero defensive attributes.

Gunna will improve our group. He now knows a next premiership is no longer an option. He wants to come back to the hawks to foster talent. And Gunston has the knowledge.

I loved Gunston when he played for us, but let’s be realistic here. I am dumbfounded how anyone would trade anything other than leftovers for an injury-prone 31yo looking for his fourth club. Let alone for a young KPF in today’s market. Ryan may or may not make it - how about let’s see rather than flip early for for some random 30th pick who may never play a game.
And yes Gunston may offer “coaching” to the youngsters - we already have Breust on-field. And isn’t that why we actually pay real coaches?
You say how would Ryan be in a GF team? See Hale. Where will Jack be in 1-2 years on exposed form? I love the romance and he may play ok if he returns but only if it’s for the remains after all other business is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m very happy to have a Gunston back (as long as the deal is cheap) but will it effect DGB’s development? He’s not getting a game with Gunston, Lewis and Chol in the side is he? As much as I’m not sold on DGB, I think giving him the chance to play regularly as a forward next season is a real opportunity to see what value he has to our team long term.

Or are we happy for him to continue to develop as a forward in the VFL for another season?

I’m very happy to have a Gunston back (as long as the deal is cheap) but will it effect DGB’s development? He’s not getting a game with Gunston, Lewis and Chol in the side is he? As much as I’m not sold on DGB, I think giving him the chance to play regularly as a forward next season is a real opportunity to see what value he has to our team long term.

Or are we happy for him to continue to develop as a forward in the VFL for another season?
Playing in a team with Jack Gunston isn't going to negatively impact anyone's development. DGB has a lot to learn, and a lot of it can be learnt directly from one of the best forwards of the past 20 years.

On a related but different note, by what logic do clubs have control of players who are out of contract? Why can Geelong make any demands re Ratugolea’s trade when by definition he has no contract with them? Why can’t he just go wherever he wants to ( same with Brocky)? How do clubs retain an interest in a player who is no longer under contract to them
AFL contracts run till 31st October I think so technically, the player is still contracted

KL, there are a significant majority that appreciate each of your posts, and we greatly out number those with an angry disposition. But I am confident that even the grumpy now agree … your words have weight.
What weight my words have doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm just posting what I can for us faithful. Not for being some big ITK. Sod that.
What I was referring to was the level of vituperation by some posters regarding Brocky and their "stuff him, stuff WC, let him walk to the PSD that'll teach them" attitude.
Completely unrealistic from a club perspective and damaging to our draft strategy but some persist with the notion of cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Back on track, we're not trading Ryan but I'll confirm that tomorrow. DEFINITELY not a straight swap Ryan for Gunner.

I loved Gunston when he played for us, but let’s be realistic here. I am dumbfounded how anyone would trade anything other than leftovers for an injury-prone 31yo looking for his fourth club. Let alone for a young KPF in today’s market. Ryan may or may not make it - how about let’s see rather than flip early for for some random 30th pick who may never play a game.
And yes Gunston may offer “coaching” to the youngsters - we already have Breust on-field. And isn’t that why we actually pay real coaches?
You say how would Ryan be in a GF team? See Hale. Where will Jack be in 1-2 years on exposed form? I love the romance and he may play ok if he returns but only if it’s for the remains after all other business is done.

Yep move on his the past we are building a team for the future.

Yep move on his the past we are building a team for the future.
Don't be surprised that Sam may want him back. But I'm sure not at the expense of losing players.

This'll be the last trade we do to ensure we have gotten our other targets and can trade a pick that doesn't upset the overall plans.

Thx. Do you know the circumstance where players become Ufa, such as being delisted, not being drafted etc.….for example isn’t Dylan Moore a life UFA?
Players become an UFA if-

a) they have completed a contract taking them to 8 years at a club, and
b) they are not in the top 25% of that clubs pay scale (if so, they are RFA)

Any player delisted and re-rookied becomes an UFA at the conclusion of EVERY contract, (i.e. Dylan Moore)

Any player delisted becomes a FA (DFA)

Any player not drafted in a whole year of drafts (ND, RD, PSD, MSD) becomes an automatic FA

I am dumbfounded.

For me, it’s a context thing and the prospect of us potentially trotting out Gunners, Bruest and Wingard in the same side next year is almost pointless, if not actually retrograde. Plus the club made decisions based on Gunners leaving when we wanted him to stay and if he returns those decisions will either need to be unpicked or else made to fit like square pegs in a newly rounded hole. Ferg is the obvious example of that; extending Wingard might be another. If Gunners comes back for mine he has to be almost free and he plays for minimum wage….And yes, I loved the guy too. But things have moved on since he chose to leave.

To fully understand what potentially Ryan brings to the table, watch the pies game! He had that defence in all sorts as the deep frwd, which in turn allowed Lewis to roam freely and completely shut Darcy Moore out of the game. Plus breust seemed to enjoy it picking off ground balls from Ryan's presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back