List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I hope Billings and Gresham move on, for their sakes and mine. I don't want to spend another year on this forum hearing about how crap they are. If a second rounder was on the table for Howard would probably take that too.

Hopefully we can jag Henry, seems to bring to the table some of what we need. Not convinced on Dow (does he have pace) but if he comes real cheap......

Feel like we should be sounding out Grundy. He is a good ruckman, not as good as Gawn but if he is your first ruck then he is better than most. Freeing up Marshall gives us massive structural flexibility.

And then take our best picks to the draft.

100% against Grundy. He's not even a slight need. I thought Gresham showed why he's important player in the finals. Was one of only a few Saints that looked like they kept up with the pace of the game. Billings looks like he's out of favour and probably for his sake should look around. Think he'll be back at the Saints though and we just have to hope that we can get more out of him.

6 weeks ago i'd agree, but he seemed invested more the last 5 weeks & maybe the grass isn't greener over the other side.

Playing finals is probably a big positive for a player thinking about his future. I know he has his haters on here but his last third of the season was good and getting back to what he does best. Looked like he got what was expected of him finally and got the balance right.

He is so hit or miss. He crumbs it at break neck speed every now and then and looks a million bucks. But more often than not he goes completely missing. I think he is easy to replace and we would be better if we could find that replacement.
He is the highest rated pressure forward over the last 3 or 4years.

That's actually not easy to replace at all.

100% against Grundy. He's not even a slight need.

What I think we get out of picking up a player like Grundy is flexibility around Marshall.

Tom Campbell is not going to make AFL level. Max Heath is at least one, probably 2 years away. Right now, Marshall goes down and we are in all sorts. Just don't see how we do not have a slight need for a ruckman.

Grundy ticks a lot of boxes. Can do a job in the ruck, is handy around the ground, frees up Marshall. The guy is 2 times All Oz and still young. Not saying we should give away the farm but not likely to cost picks, just a matter of how many dollars.

I think the reason gresh is sooo frustrating is because we've seen him at his best and now at his worst.

He has been climbing the form ladder the last 5 weeks and looks to have had more tackles in his last 5 games than the previous 15. Looks to really have pulled his head in and stopped acting like the million dollar man.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I think we get out of picking up a player like Grundy is flexibility around Marshall.

Tom Campbell is not going to make AFL level. Max Heath is at least one, probably 2 years away. Right now, Marshall goes down and we are in all sorts. Just don't see how we do not have a slight need for a ruckman.

Grundy ticks a lot of boxes. Can do a job in the ruck, is handy around the ground, frees up Marshall. The guy is 2 times All Oz and still young. Not saying we should give away the farm but not likely to cost picks, just a matter of how many dollars.
Melbourne will still want a 2nd round pick for him.

Grundy is a ruck only. Can't play forward, so we would end up with the exact same issues that Melbourne have.

He will want to go somewhere where is the number one ruck, which is why Port and Swans are the front runners.

100% against Grundy. He's not even a slight need. I thought Gresham showed why he's important player in the finals. Was one of only a few Saints that looked like they kept up with the pace of the game. Billings looks like he's out of favour and probably for his sake should look around. Think he'll be back at the Saints though and we just have to hope that we can get more out of him.

Must have been painful for Billings to miss that final, and if he stays i just hope he takes it as a challenge, and uses the pre-season to work with the coaches at improving his game.
Has he ever had a clear role in the past, i think he's a guy that would benefit from having that?

Campbell is in case of emergency.
Heath could be a player. Just needs a bit more time. We might see him next year.
I do agree though, we lose Rowan and we are in all sorts. He is without a doubt our most important player.

I'd prefer Gresham stay. He's still at a good age, can produce an improved outcome and showed promising signs in the back end of the year. He also plays in a position that isn't stunting anyone's development. He's happy to play forward. He also wouldn't get us a great pick. It'd be another case of buying high and selling for lower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must have been painful for Billings to miss that final, and if he stays i just hope he takes it as a challenge, and uses the pre-season to work with the coaches at improving his game.
Has he ever had a clear role in the past, i think he's a guy that would benefit from having that?
He needs to stay fit for a few months for a start.

Melbourne will still want a 2nd round pick for him.

Grundy is a ruck only. Can't play forward, so we would end up with the exact same issues that Melbourne have.

He will want to go somewhere where is the number one ruck, which is why Port and Swans are the front runners.

But Marshall can play forward and I think Grundy is probably a better tap ruckman than Marshall. He could play 1st ruck in much the same way as Paddy did.

But I would probably not give up a second rounder if that means we miss Henry for example.

Heath could be a player. Just needs a bit more time. We might see him next year.
I do agree though, we lose Rowan and we are in all sorts. He is without a doubt our most important player.
No club holds 2 number 1 rucks it just doesn't work look at the Melb experiment, you have 1 number 1 ruck & a handful of 2nd graders.

Most ruckman think they should be the number 1 person & don't really wont to be sitting behind someone else.

I'd prefer Gresham stay. He's still at a good age, can produce an improved outcome and showed promising signs in the back end of the year. He also plays in a position that isn't stunting anyone's development. He's happy to play forward. He also wouldn't get us a great pick. It'd be another case of buying high and selling for lower.

What is his position/role in the team? In 2023 his stats were down on his career averages, so on that measurement he is not in an improvement phase. As a mid, he averages about 17 possessions a game. And generally they are not great possessions. His metres gained metric is really poor, not in top 100.

Maybe he could be returned to his small forward role? Probably an upgrade on Butler in attack but is a downgrade on Butler's defensive side.

To me he is one of those players whose flaws just outweigh his strengths by too much.

But Marshall can play forward and I think Grundy is probably a better tap ruckman than Marshall. He could play 1st ruck in much the same way as Paddy did.

But I would probably not give up a second rounder if that means we miss Henry for example.
I think it worked well with Ryder because they could both go forward.

If Grundy comes in he will have to play almost a full game in the ruck, which takes Marshall away from his best position

Heath still very young. Might get on next year here and there but I reckon another 2 or 3 before he is going to challenge for a regular spot.

No club holds 2 number 1 rucks it just doesn't work look at the Melb experiment, you have 1 number 1 ruck & a handful of 2nd graders.

Most ruckman think they should be the number 1 person & don't really wont to be sitting behind someone else.

I couldn't figure out what Melbourne were doing, with all of Preuss, Ben Brown, Grundy, and recruiting Jackson with an early pick.
I couldn't figure out why some of those players would want to go there.

Heath still very young. Might get on next year here and there but I reckon another 2 or 3 before he is going to challenge for a regular spot.

He seems to be at least half decent in the forward line too, which might let him challenge a bit earlier.
( and i think the club is trying to develop that further ).

I think it worked well with Ryder because they could both go forward.

If Grundy comes in he will have to play almost a full game in the ruck, which takes Marshall away from his best position
Even though Grundy would be a bargain in terms of 2 other clubs paying him to play for a 3rd team, he's
a bargain for someone else, not us - think he'll be at Port next year.

How good is having Ross.

At the very worst, guys like Gresham, Billings etc who clearly have talent, will come back to us after copping an almighty reality check from the league in terms of where they thought they sat and the money they thought they'd get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back