List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the go with Darcy Gardiner? Remember some talk about him a few years ago but seems to have been jumped by payne? Stat's look OK last year and only 2 games this year.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And who’s to say he can’t become elite?
He was a top 10 pick unlucky with injuries, who has showed things.
As Premium recalled earlier - 5th most marks in the comp as a 20 year old.
I’m certainly not writing him off. Got years ahead of him. Needs some injury luck.

We are so impatient with these kids.
BJ, Lenny, Joey and plenty others from other clubs all took a while to get there.

He had a good year in 2020 but it will be 2024 next year and he'll be 25. "Kids" are usually a bit younger than that and patience has been given. Jack Newnes had played 135 games at the same age and would get pushed out not long after that.

He might be elite still but he could also be a GOP. I'm happy to let the club make the call. If they think he's fragile maybe cashing him in while he has value is good management.

The billings debacle was enough to see the back of gags and libba imo.

Both escaped any real scrutiny I still remember people defending them.

Libba was there 2ic to trout and is even quoted in Emma Quayle book talking about paddy mccartin.

There's rumours on here stating lethers had to overrule libba on King. If that's true it's absolutely nuts.

Would we really be worse if we had Zac Butters instead of King? That was a pretty strong draft.

Completely lost patience with Butler. Another piss poor game where his errors directly cost us goals. For a guy of his experience he should be contributing far more, only his mark in the 3rd covered what was a totally forgettable display. He's bordering on a liability. Would be offering him up.

He was better when he got out of the forward line, we tried sending him up to help the mids and he looked better. The forwards were well held but he's definitely replaceable if a better player comes along.

I'd look at Box Hill's Jake Arundel. I think the Hawks have kept him hidden.

The billings debacle was enough to see the back of gags and libba imo.

Both escaped any real scrutiny I still remember people defending them.

Libba was there 2ic to trout and is even quoted in Emma Quayle book talking about paddy mccartin.

There's rumours on here stating lethers had to overrule libba on King. If that's true it's absolutely nuts.
Yep, Libba apparently wanted Rozee

Jump over to Carltons page and have a look at there trade thread a while back. They all love Dow and praise him highly. I think he is far far better than most on here realise.
I also think the move will be great for him. He will be one of our mainstays in midfield and a lot of players improve rapidly with more responsibility. Given he has the talent it's likely that he takes a big leap.

I have Carlton family. He's their Coffield. When they were shit they were all hoping that he'd come in and be their saviour and they'd built up a huge amount of fantasy around him. He's not without his good points but he's more Zac Jones than Paddy Cripps.

He actually looks a lot better in the AFL seniors but he's got the Seb Ross habit of long blind kicks. There is definitely a spot for him to own in our side but we probably need him to increase production and keep practicing kicking.

Sincs did something yesterday that I’ve not seen previously.
Expecting high contact in a marking duel, he dropped his head to avoid contact, thus spilling the mark and leading to a GWS goal.
To quote Robert Walls from the 2004 Wizard Cup Final when discussing David Briggs: “He let himself down”.
It was in the second quarter I think.
Yes, he is a star but everyone is human too.

Phil Davis said that they were going to target him because he was St Kilda's best and most important player. I think he'd started watching for contact because they were trying to take him out of the game.

I hope Billings and Gresham move on, for their sakes and mine. I don't want to spend another year on this forum hearing about how crap they are. If a second rounder was on the table for Howard would probably take that too.

Hopefully we can jag Henry, seems to bring to the table some of what we need. Not convinced on Dow (does he have pace) but if he comes real cheap......

Feel like we should be sounding out Grundy. He is a good ruckman, not as good as Gawn but if he is your first ruck then he is better than most. Freeing up Marshall gives us massive structural flexibility.

And then take our best picks to the draft.

Sorry for the intrusion. We all love paddy Dow but his game is fairly easy to break down. He's very good at getting centre clearances and hunting the ball in the centre. He's a very average kick - there's always an element of throwing it on your boot from midfielders but he's worse than most. So he's good at getting the ball moving forward in your general direction but not to specific positions. Good hands in congestion though.

The big knock has always been defensive running though. He's not great defensively. Maybe that's an area that a new team can work on, although he's gad a fair bit of time to try and fix it with us.

As it stands he's behind Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Hewett. It's hard to ask a player to effectively be an emergency when other teams want him to play and impossible to pay him the money that he could get elsewhere.

I've never heard a bad word about him as a person or his professionalism. Good country kid. Would love him to stay but can see why that might not be possible.

Not sure if that helps but hope that it does.
Thanks for that…we have a definite need for a clearance player.
I’m hoping Zac Jones can finally get his body right, as he and Dow could share the load!

What's the go with Darcy Gardiner? Remember some talk about him a few years ago but seems to have been jumped by payne? Stat's look OK last year and only 2 games this year.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wanted him yet Brisbane signed him for three years and then didn't play him :!?: :mad:

Do the northern clubs have extra money in their cap to throw around frivolously?

That's his level. A very good VFL footballer.. Will never be up to AFL standard.

He was excellent late last year when he broke into the side. Disagree he's a VFL footballer only. He'd be best 22 at the Saints IMO. He's probably limited to a Zac Jones type level but he'd be great depth at a minimum. The Lions just have too many good mids to fit in their best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm praying we decide to do everything possible to get Zane Duursma. He's the exact type we desperately need. Looks like a better version of Josh Kelly.

Zero chance of getting him.

Thanks for that…we have a definite need for a clearance player.
I’m hoping Zac Jones can finally get his body right, as he and Dow could share the load!
I haven't seen much of Dow but consistent theme seems to be he is a throw the ball on the boot type a la Jones, Gresham, Ross, Crouch. Given what RTB said after the GWS final (turning A grade opps into B and C grade) surely they will place priority on players who can find teammates - NAS, Hill, Wood types. We have enough ball hackers right?

I haven't seen much of Dow but consistent theme seems to be he is a throw the ball on the boot type a la Jones, Gresham, Ross, Crouch. Given what RTB said after the GWS final (turning A grade opps into B and C grade) surely they will place priority on players who can find teammates - NAS, Hill, Wood types. We have enough ball hackers right?

Kicks the ball like Seb Ross, not Gresham so i am ok with that. His hands in close are great.

Lot to work with. Maybe we can improve his deficiencies.

I think he could be someone else's Mason Wood, but I've given up on him ever achieving consistently useful performances for us. Really hope another club takes a chance on him but they'll probably wait until he's out of contract or delisted.

I wouldn't be annoyed if we delisted him this off season but plenty would.
I don’t get this at all. Still very competent player. A level above at vfl. So to delist him with 2-3 years on a contract is nuffie stuff.

Dow's kicking is fine, he's HB is elite out of packs he will be an asset for us.

Kicks the ball like Seb Ross, not Gresham so i am ok with that. His hands in close are great.

Lot to work with. Maybe we can improve his deficiencies.

Yeah, he sounds like someone RTB could work with. He's obviously got skill. As I said, if we can get him for not much.

Just had a look at Liam Henry's stats. His last 10 or so games are a very big improvement on his first 30 or so. Goes from averaging about 11 touches a game to averaging about 23.

Think he could be an ideal type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back