List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't really need #4 do they? So it's 12 and potentially around the same next year for #4 and a 2nd. Might not be enough? Maybe we add a 3rd or take #4 and there 3rd instead?
I read Dogs have offered 10 & 17 this year

Sorry for the intrusion. We all love paddy Dow but his game is fairly easy to break down. He's very good at getting centre clearances and hunting the ball in the centre. He's a very average kick - there's always an element of throwing it on your boot from midfielders but he's worse than most. So he's good at getting the ball moving forward in your general direction but not to specific positions. Good hands in congestion though.

The big knock has always been defensive running though. He's not great defensively. Maybe that's an area that a new team can work on, although he's gad a fair bit of time to try and fix it with us.

As it stands he's behind Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Hewett. It's hard to ask a player to effectively be an emergency when other teams want him to play and impossible to pay him the money that he could get elsewhere.

I've never heard a bad word about him as a person or his professionalism. Good country kid. Would love him to stay but can see why that might not be possible.

Not sure if that helps but hope that it does.
Cheers mate. That's a good summary. I've noticed watching him his vision is very good. Seems to find teammates by hand out of nowhere.
A lot of players that don't run both ways never work it out but some do. Hopefully the change of scenery helps.
You guys bat deep in the midfield so it makes it very hard to break into the rotation. Obviously it's our biggest weakness.

Anyone know if Billings has interest from other clubs
I think he could be someone else's Mason Wood, but I've given up on him ever achieving consistently useful performances for us. Really hope another club takes a chance on him but they'll probably wait until he's out of contract or delisted.

I wouldn't be annoyed if we delisted him this off season but plenty would.

I think he could be someone else's Mason Wood, but I've given up on him ever achieving consistently useful performances for us. Really hope another club takes a chance on him but they'll probably wait until he's out of contract or delisted.

He has 2 years to go on his contract
Can’t delist him

Seriously doubt Billings will be delisted with 2 years left on his contract…would love to see the guy get an even break on the injury front!

Yes, but what a brilliant learning experience for him.
The best investment of finals minutes we have had in decades.
Speaks highly of both the coaches belief in him, his talent and his professionalism, and the wisdom of that same coaching panel.
Lyon specifically name checked Damian Carroll yesterday, after only beginning praising “the development team” over the last month or so.
Harvey, Hayes, Enright and Carroll.
Nice group of peers!
I reckon Carroll has had a massive impact on Lyon this year, and a massive impact on our whole team improvement.
I am a huge fan.
(As was both the Hawthorn and Collingwood football clubs).
Goddard has been good too!

Totally agree with this , they both have the ability to be anything - will be good watching them next year - this trade period is going to be interesting who gets moved on - Clark , Gresham , Billings , Howard all being talked about in the up coming trade period.
I expect one of them to be moved on.
Only 1?

Any news on Gresham? Haven’t heard much talk lately on any clubs keen on him which I find surprising with his free agency status. Saints would most likely get band 1 compensation if gets anything similar to current contract so around Pick 12 isn’t horrible but probably short for Gresham at his best.
I expect Gresham will leave…decision will likely be announced very soon.
Unfortunately I have a feeling it will be only band 2 compensation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure you are understanding why they are shopping Howard and how we get more quality kids.

Someone like Cordy or Tomlinson are stop gap.

Howard isn’t good enough to be what we need.

So you shop him, hopefully get a pick that allows you to draft a good young player we can develop and will make us better in 12-24 months.

Short term down grade for a long term upgrade.
I’m a Dougal critic but I believe he’s good enough to be on our list, just not being the main man in defence

I think we get a pick in the 20s from the Swans/Bombers/North and then flip that to Freo for Henry. I'd love to take Brodie off their hands too.

Dow for a token pick, same way they got Acres.

Tomlinson for nothing.

I'd keep Gresh at this point.

Move Clark on if North are still keen.

Jones & Billings are depth.

Reload and go again in 2024.
I agree with you, only out rider is Gresham has the power in whether he stays or goes

Criticising Marshall is wild. Outside of Gawn which rucks are gonna have it 31 times.

He bombs it long because he's a ruckman, he's not getting handballs around the back and kicking with time and space, he's getting it in the contest and getting it forward.

He's had an awesome season, every other team would give their left leg for him
I was chatting to recruiter recently and I asked what Marshall would be worth.
His response it doesn't matter St. Kilda wont trade him and nor should they.
17 clubs would be calling St.Kilda if he was available

But there is the rub, Billings still has 2 years to go on his contract on good coin. In order to get a reasonable pick for him, you might have to pay part of his salary at his new club. So trading him will not necessary free up a lot SC space.
Who said anything about getting a reasonable pick?

Just that he wouldn’t just be filling a role he’d be playing what is almost the most important role in the AFL these days. That orchestrator can’t be ok they need to be absolutely elite. To have someone just normal there is a waste

He's probably more an interceptor/distributor so more Josh Battle than Sinclair who is a running rebound back. He might be able to become more of a running player but he's not guaranteed to be an upgrade yet. I want him to come good because if he and Hunter Clark get off loaded, that's another 2 x first round picks blown. I want him to make it to a high level just to salvage my sanity.

If we get Martin for a reasonable pick - definitely not our first it is a positive.

Does not address our priority need in the middle, Dow might help but we need out and out class hope we are aggressive during the trading / draft period.

Now positive about the Saints direction compared to 2 years ago with Phillipou, Wanganeen Milera, Owens, Sharman (yes Sharman) coming along very nicely we need to support them.

Also believe Gresh is out the door, he will show some class at a team like Hawthorn - hope we get compensated appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back