List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus if we lose another mid we are going to struggle next year. That seems like idiotic list management. They'd better hope that they have some aces up their sleeve if they do that.

I can cope losing Steele, if we got Trac, Tom Green and Zac Butters as the replacements.
Obviously taking the piss but the area we are weakest in, the mids, we trade our best mid who just had a 38 possession finals game in a well beaten midfield.
I comfort myself we are in silly season.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was he though? He looked ordinary at bounces and stoppages compared to the best tap ruckman for decades, but he looked as he always looked as a player.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought the Ryder experiment was great to see Paddy play well but Marshall was wasted.

Cornes is a s**t stirrer but generally not a moron. Surely there was more to it then "trade the best player in a position we are absolutely the weakest in"?

I don't think Cornes is pretending to be anything but, and he seems to be pretty tongue in cheek about it all.
He was kind of laughing about how the Saints supporters would be getting stuck into him if they made finals ( because of his earlier predictions that they wouldn't ).

Steele as a 70-30 mid forward

Petracca as a 70-30 forward mid.

They want Harley Reid. But if you are in the window now it could make sense.

They have so many of that type already. Guys like Neale-Bullen came as on-ballers too. If Brayshaw has to retire maybe. The only thing they need is forward structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said anything about getting a reasonable pick?

The strategy is to get as many good to reasonable picks as we can in order to try and secure the star inside mids we need. We really need to find as a minimum one star inside mid this year or next, or it may greatly undermine our ability to have success with our new young core of players.

If we only generate a poor pick for say Billings and Gresh with Band 2 Compensation, then that becomes less likely.

So personally if we can trade Billings for a higher pick, but have to pay part of his contract, then I would do it.

It is much better for us to take the salary dump on Billings than to have another club take a salary dump with Billings for us. $$$$ is not our problem at present, lack of useful picks and inside mids is our problem.

Oh please, not disrespectful to Sincs at all, what a stretch. He’s a bloody star, but just like those others I mentioned, took quite a few years to get there too.

I never compared Coffield to Sincs NOW. Nothing to say he can’t be just as good in a few years though.
Fair enough. I just think instead of planning around maybes we build around our only genuine superstar and leave him where he’s already earning AA call ups. The other potentials can go develop into the positions around him.

The strategy is to get as many good to reasonable picks as we can in order to try and secure the star inside mids we need. We really need to find as a minimum one star inside mid this year or next, or it may greatly undermine our ability to have success with our new young core of players.

If we only generate a poor pick for say Billings and Gresh with Band 2 Compensation, then that becomes less likely.

So personally if we can trade Billings for a higher pick, but have to pay part of his contract, then I would do it.

It is much better for us to take the salary dump on Billings than to have another club take a salary dump with Billings for us. $$$$ is not our problem at present, lack of useful picks and inside mids is our problem.

Have you looked at the draft this year and available mids?

Agree - swap Billings to the Eagles for their FRP on the proviso we pay all his current contract. We get Reid. That works.

If you think about the whole thing without emotion I think it makes sense.

We are desperate to get picks or young players to go with the young core of King, Owens, Pou, Windhager etc.

Ross wasn't brought in to take us to a flag in year 2 or 3. He's been conditioning us from interview #1 with "Year of exploration" and cuddly Ross. He spent the year seeing what he has and what he hasn't got.

Sacking Ratts and appointing Ross was one of the most ruthless decisions the club has made in a while, we're not going to stop now.

We're going to do everything it takes to make an extended window and allow us the best chance to win. Realistically the best window we can make is when King and co are 24-25, that makes Steele the otherside of 30.

We could push for one next year and go with top ups again, but when that fails we have some young studs in king and co and they're surrounded by trash and we stay middle of the road.

Steele would easily have the most currency in a trade and with his style of play, probably wouldn't be around or be a real factor in our push with the young guys, see Nate Jones at Melbourne.

Also don't think Steele is the ruthless type of leader that Ross likes nor that really drives or takes ownership of the group.

Also, see Ross and Luke Ball. Ball was a young stud, better leader but struggled on the spread. If you watch Steele chase, he isn't quick, once the ball is out of the contest and in spread and space, he can't help us much.

Let's say hypothetically we enter a 3 way trade with Melbourne and the Eagles. Melbourne give up theres and Freo's first to Eagles, we give up Steele to Melbourne and we get Harley Reid, would anyone be upset about losing Steele in 2 years if we're watching Reid?

Ross will want to make his OWN team, he has no loyalty to any of these guys.

I’d trade Steele for the right price. A bundle of high quality draft picks, or a 22 or younger star mid, or a mix of the two.

Honestly, I don’t rate Steele as much as I used to. He’s a gun don’t get me wrong, but I’m much more invested in our players King’s age and younger now.

He hasn’t won my heart as captain of the club either, idk, suppose I’m indifferent, and I think we’ll drop off next year anyway. For the right price, it might be a necessary evil to have the resources to build a list around our young core.

Can’t see it happening, but there have been rumblings for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back