List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He still played.

Have a look at his averages in an ordinary year.

We have to replace that still

I had heard it from someone that was saying they had heard it around their club.

So not kane.

I don’t believe it either.

But to the point. It wasn’t a rumour that started with Kane.
Either way it won't happen. Even Kane said as much.

Steele was the best two-way midfielder in the AFL across 2020-21. His first 2 games of 2023 were elite before he got injured. A full pre-season without injury and I reckon he's All-Australian again next year.

The idea that you would trade your captain and a guy who sets standards for the club is lunacy. How many AA quality mids are there on the trade table? Or in the draft?

Would be a culture-killer too. No way RTB will do that.

You know I have been reading your posts regarding #4 and have been thinking 2 firsts for a kid on potential is way too much....
....but thinking about it a couple of things
1) I have banged on for years about topline midfielders.
Richmond had Dusty and Cotchin with some excellent A- support mids
Geelong Danger and Selwood with some excellent A- support mids.

I think we have the A- support mids but we don't have those absolute champions that win flags.

2) Lyon said you can't go to Woolies to get these players and we don't have the hand to do it. Also he said no rush on the build.

So with this in mind and note I know absolutely nothing about Zane Duursma, your suggestion has real merit.

Duursma could be Trac or Toumpas, but unless we risk it, how do we get this quality?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Exactly mate. Sometimes you need to take it on and swing for the fences to get a player like you mentioned. Obviously not every top draftee is a guarantee but watching Duursma it's obvious he possessers the attributes we so badly need... Just gotta hope he isn't a bust.

No way we are trading Steele. Would not get value for him after a poor year either.

He was good in the final and I reckon that was off the back of being able to get his body right with the extra week off.

Next year he will be like a new recruit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be angry at the club if we traded him. I personally would not entertain a first rounder.
Not for one first rounder, no way, although effectively a swap for Harley Reid, I think I could do that, but just that swap wouldn't be enough, we'd still need another v.good mid with room for improve to come in.

It just hit me who Gresh should play like:

Izak Rankine.

There's a guy that does more damage with 15 touches in the front half than a lot of guys do with 30 around the ground.

If Gresh wants to pile on the pressure and just have a ping at the goals every time he's got a yard of space then go for it. Turning him into a 2 goal a game pressure player would be ideal.

I agree, but what is going to help us win the flag more in 2027 - 30+ year old Steele of 1-2 early picks into their third season to go with King, Owens, Pou etc
The theory in what your saying is sound.

The reality of it would take a club with balls the size of Everest to do it and we would need to absolutely nail the picks.

I see someone mentioned Lobb. I'd actually be into that :)
if the plan is to build around king and those younger this makes no sense,only thing could be that Ross had him at freo i guess & might know how to light a flame under his axx

otherwise its
1-2 slashing games a year
4-5 ok games a year
15 or so games where he contributes nothing
has a sook if required to spend time in the ruck
inform the club he wants to be traded to ?

RTB would want to be confident he knows how to push his buttons,but at over 30 i dont see it

Sanders/Watson

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sanders if available.

This Watson?
9. Nick Watson (6)
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
FWD, 170cm, 66kg
Talent League: 6 games, 22.3 disposals, 1.3 goals

It's unlikely Watson will slide further than this point on draft night, but there are enough concerns for clubs to bypass him at the very top right now. At his best, he's a masterful small forward with a bag of tricks, electrifying pace and aerial ability. But he hasn't flourished in his stints on-ball or at halfback. Watson looks to be a small forward in the mould of Cody Weightman at the next level.

Steele turns 28 in a couple of months. Does anybody actually think we’ll be contending in his time here given all the talk is about adding to our first and second year players? It’s worth a discussion if nothing else than for Jack himself to play in prelims and grand finals in his career.

Wasn't Marshall a key fwd before we drafted him?

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not not really.

He was a ruckman at Sebastapol and hen North Ballarat. North Melbourne were aligned with North Ballarat and so they mainly played Preuss as the main ruck limiting Marshall's chances to play as the main ruck.

He started there in the VFL with us, and they often played him forward. But I think it was more because as we all know Marshall is an excellent mark fora ruckman, including contested mark.

While they did plonk him forward both at Sandy and then in the firsts, I have seen little to suggest that Marshall has been drilled in the leading patterns, and forward craft that a key forward needs to know.

He basically plays as a ruckman that pushes forward, rather than as a true key forward. Plus I don't think he has that burst of speed that a good key forward often has for leads. Consequently he is an ordinary key forward.

He is the best follower in the AFL.

His tapwork has improved, but he is still average at that. He does not have a good leap and so taller rucks can bring him undone at the ruck contest.

He is pretty good at the body on body work, and excellent at being able to grab the ball when opportunity presents, and has the core strength to often be able to clear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back