List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are these good players we've been flogging off?

Since 2013:

Long - Suns
Acres - Freo
Dunstan - Dees
Hind - Bombers
Hickey - Eagles
H Goddard - Blues
Bruce - Dogs
Stuv - Cats
Newnes - Blues
Stanley - Cats

Any more?

Out of those, I'd suggest only the Stanley Acres and possibly Hickey deals have been detrimental.

At the time we sold them, neither Bruce nor Stuv were "good" players.

We haven't been great at managing our list in the last 10 years (or before that even) but we have generally held onto the few good players we've had until they retired. And look where that got us.
Since 2013? Ben McEvoy.

People got seriously seduced by a few solid Cordy games in defence late in the season. If anyone has got him penciled in as a defender in our best 22 next year and beyond, then I suggest you need to reassess.

The guy is a rung or two above spud level. I'll settle for 'useful spud.'
To some extent I agree but unfortunately Howard is a useless spud.

If we keep Howard, is there any chance that we could play him alongside Cordy/Wilkie/Battle?

Ideally Howard more as a CHB with Cordy at FB, then Battle/Wilkie taking the others as required and allows them to intercept more?

May be a little top heavy but I see Wilkie as a medium defender who can play on the key forwards rather than a pure full back. Battle is also more suited to that type of role too.

To some extent I agree but unfortunately Howard is a useless spud.
I never understand when people call out someone for being a "spud" with no legitimate reasoning behind it, how has Dougal hurt you to feel this way. Watching this year I saw a player who played his role well, decent intercept possessions huge at spoiling and probably our best disposal efficiency player. No idea why we want to trade him unless he has instigated it.

bring-it-in-hug-it-out.gif

Secondly, from what I am hearing Membrey might not ever play again so do we think we have enough fwd stocks; King,Sharman and Caminiti and I guess Hayes (worried how is body will hold up) with Keeler and Allison still raw. Do we bring in a Chris Burgess type to help the others develop and not get monstered each week or throw them in the fire and hope they thrive or possibly draft another young key fwd like Logan Morris.

Thirdly, Shiel makes sense from the point of view of helping with Greshams comp; played alright this year I think you could bump his stats up a bit as he was sub a couple of times probably the same type stats as Seb. Having experience around our young group is key to their rise, you would think if he is brought in Zak is done.

Lastly I Like Billings true he never lived up to his potential but he always gave it his all and I thought we played better when he was out there. The shadow of the Bont has followed his career which is a shame a choice was made we move on. If he was to leave good luck to the lad and cheers.

LNcwxD2.gif

I never understand when people call out someone for being a "spud" with no legitimate reasoning behind it, how has Dougal hurt you to feel this way. Watching this year I saw a player who played his role well, decent intercept possessions huge at spoiling and probably our best disposal efficiency player. No idea why we want to trade him unless he has instigated it.

bring-it-in-hug-it-out.gif

Secondly, from what I am hearing Membrey might not ever play again so do we think we have enough fwd stocks; King,Sharman and Caminiti and I guess Hayes (worried how is body will hold up) with Keeler and Allison still raw. Do we bring in a Chris Burgess type to help the others develop and not get monstered each week or throw them in the fire and hope they thrive or possibly draft another young key fwd like Logan Morris.

Thirdly, Shiel makes sense from the point of view of helping with Greshams comp; played alright this year I think you could bump his stats up a bit as he was sub a couple of times probably the same type stats as Seb. Having experience around our young group is key to their rise, you would think if he is brought in Zak is done.

Lastly I Like Billings true he never lived up to his potential but he always gave it his all and I thought we played better when he was out there. The shadow of the Bont has followed his career which is a shame a choice was made we move on. If he was to leave good luck to the lad and cheers.

LNcwxD2.gif
Go back and read the post I’m responding to before giving me your thesis on posting. It was actually a joke.

Go back and read the post I’m responding to before giving me your thesis on posting. It was actually a joke.
The first part of the post with the hug is just for you the rest for the community in general, and I went back and read the post and I would go with some italics or bold font if it was sarcasm next time because it seems like a real statement to me.
aaa1c8b6a2ea97c2922663356001f9166ca6937b.gif

Gresham was the 5th highest goal scorer in the team this year. How are you easily replacing those 21 goals?
You're not taking into account the fact that we relied heavily on the smalls to score in the absence of our key forwards. Bring back the spearheads and the scoring will dry up for Gresh. Also, you'd think if Sharman gets a proper run at it, he could easily eclipse Gresh's numbers.

People got seriously seduced by a few solid Cordy games in defence late in the season. If anyone has got him penciled in as a defender in our best 22 next year and beyond, then I suggest you need to reassess.

The guy is a rung or two above spud level. I'll settle for 'useful spud.'

Yeah, we sat behind the goals and he was completely out of his depth. Was watching his man and not the ball and running around in circles. He was out of his depth one on one. Howard is fairly competent in at least halving contests. He's not perfect but Cordy isn't the answer to replacing him IMO. The Dogs didn't keep him and they struggle for KP defenders. Cordy's best role was as a decoy forward. He played a sacrificial game to make other better and still got the odd goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're not taking into account the fact that we relied heavily on the smalls to score in the absence of our key forwards. Bring back the spearheads and the scoring will dry up for Gresh. Also, you'd think if Sharman gets a proper run at it, he could easily eclipse Gresh's numbers.

Usually the opposite for small forwards. They rely on spillers for a lot of opportunity.

Chris Burgess is off to Adelaide I think. He's a gun though. He'll surprise a few people.

If we keep Howard, is there any chance that we could play him alongside Cordy/Wilkie/Battle?

Ideally Howard more as a CHB with Cordy at FB, then Battle/Wilkie taking the others as required and allows them to intercept more?

May be a little top heavy but I see Wilkie as a medium defender who can play on the key forwards rather than a pure full back. Battle is also more suited to that type of role too.

He'd be an ideal ruck forward with his height and athleticism but he doesn't want to play outside defence.

You complain when we don't take the right draftees like Clark and Coff.
You complain when they are talked about as trade.
You say they have made good decisions lately but they are incompetent.
You pretend Gresham is being shopped when he shopped himself.
Mate you are all over the shop.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well we'll see I guess. Your years of fawning over every move we make and then shouting down anyone that questions anything they do has been a pretty solid model.

Like a guy who's insane captain has drilled a 1000 holes in the hull of his boat and telling everyone else to shut up because it will make it go faster.

You are always the first one to go for the Koolaid on here and then put on this puff chested routine making grandiose statements about how brilliant everything is.

How do you replace 0.875 goals a game?

Hmmmm not really a mountain to climb.

So the suggestion has been King play more games and kick them. Which is fine but we're a pretty low scoring team and I would have thought the idea would be to increase our scoring potential not stagnate.

We average 11 goals and game so I'd suggest .875 a game is reasonably significant if nobody else can replace them, preferably from midfield so that any increase from the forwards actually improves our overall scoring.

Yeah, we sat behind the goals and he was completely out of his depth. Was watching his man and not the ball and running around in circles. He was out of his depth one on one. Howard is fairly competent in at least halving contests. He's not perfect but Cordy isn't the answer to replacing him IMO. The Dogs didn't keep him and they struggle for KP defenders. Cordy's best role was as a decoy forward. He played a sacrificial game to make other better and still got the odd goal.
I’d prefer to keep Howard personally.
Yeah he makes some mistakes, bites off more than he can chew occasionally, but which player doesn’t? Not like there’s a lot of KPD around at the moment - not telling you something new.

Now, of course, he’s acquired whipping boy status - there always has to be one.

Obviously we have a few irons in the fire to address our midfield weakness. Hopefully SOS & Gubby can get them done without compromising our draft hand too much.

I think this trade period is going to keep us very interested?

Last edited:
Bombers fans convinced we are working a plan to give them Gresh, then trade pick 13 for Shiel + their 2nd and the 'win' for us is that they pay Shiel's contract so that we have cap space...

FMD...

Tell me we haven't been that delusional in past years?!?

Well we'll see I guess. Your years of fawning over every move we make and then shouting down anyone that questions anything they do has been a pretty solid model.

Like a guy who's insane captain has drilled a 1000 holes in the hull of his boat and telling everyone else to shut up because it will make it go faster.

You are always the first one to go for the Koolaid on here and then put on this puff chested routine making grandiose statements about how brilliant everything is.
At least be consistent from one post to another. You are all over the place. Every off season you haunt this place like the Grim Reaper killing any optimism with your incessant negativity.
Now so you can continue your misery you don't want us to trade some underperformers. Is this so you can continue to moan and play the victim? God forbid we try to improve

Forgive me for not being the giant bed wetter that is inherent with the usual suspects on here.
Would hate to live with the depressed mindset of some in here. Especially about football.
It is a past time but some see it as life or death.

Have a nice day. Out today with my family, suggest you do the same, it is a glorious day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back