List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day Gresh is the biggest winner out of this. He leaves, it's because he gets offered more than what we're comfortable paying, he stays it's because we've paid him more than we would have without Essendon.

Yeah exactly, I just posted in the trade forum thread on Gresh - his move seems entirely motivated by getting a better deal. He's clearly not looking for opportunity or chasing a premiership. If he gets himself the best deal on offer and can stay where he is, I don't think he'd be too unhappy with that.

We just have to hope if it does go down that way, he can get back to his best form.

At the end of the day Gresh is the biggest winner out of this. He leaves, it's because he gets offered more than what we're comfortable paying, he stays it's because we've paid him more than we would have without Essendon.
It should be either pick 13 or 19. 19 is not ideal, but don’t think the club will match still. Gresham at 700k is not worth the money. He is not better than Higgins or Butler I’m afraid as a small forward and can’t play mid to a high level consistently either.

Didn't Dodo also go through all this effort to get Dunkley to nominate them a few years ago, only for them not to get the trade done and then for Dunkley to be pissed at them and decide to go to Brisbane in the following trade period? If they lowball Gresh and we match and he stays, that can be another one to add to the record for the greatest winner of the trade period...
Yep. And ****ed Daniher around only to lose him a year later for less

Apologies I’m just a novice with all this - but surely Gresham’s Manager had a handshake agreement with Essendon about $s and contract term before he agreed to nominate them? So that can’t be the hold up?

Apologies I’m just a novice with all this - but surely Gresham’s Manager had a handshake agreement with Essendon about $s and contract term before he agreed to nominate them? So that can’t be the hold up?

He hasn't officially nominated - it's just been reported

Issue is the compensation pick we get.

No value in either pick 21 or 33 for us

Clearly this Shiel injury has stuffed things around

Comprehensive article on Billings, his development, career trajectory and trade possibility.

Got a real Ryan Bastinac feel to him these days does Billings. Started so well, if he developed would have been a star half forward and occasional run the rough the middle or wing type, but just never progressed much, and got thrown all over the park.

Sucks.

That and Duursma nominating them you'd think... 4 established players coming in, with 2 combining for close to $1.5m between them in Gresham and McKay. Doesn't leave much war chest

Got it thanks - didn’t think $s could be the problem - unless someone reneges! (Surely not Dodoro!)

Got it thanks - didn’t think $s could be the problem - unless someone reneges! (Surely not Dodoro!)
Compensation is based on the guaranteed salary.

So if he has an 800k deal as an example.

But 600k is guaranteed and 200k is made up of bonuses.

We would get band 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Essendon to get Gresham. Simple, because they are prioritising free agents as opposed to the draft and that can backfire on them. It might work, but they could be overpaying lengthy contracts in B graders that could potentially make their salary cap position tight for the next few years.

If Gresh wants to leave, then it’s best to let him walk and take the appropriate compensation. He is replaceable and it could be best for both parties.
Free agents don't really affect your ability to draft though. It does impact your salary cap but by the time the draftees are expecting an increase the majority of those FA deals would be expiring (ludicrous 6 year deals not included).

I think these FAs are more likely to impact existing players coming off contract next year for them. I think there will be a few ripe for the picking.

bored-icegif-6.gif

Principle Skinner: Oh, following trade week can be fun! All you have to do is make a game of it.
Bart: What kind of game?
Principle Skinner: Well, for example, you could see how many big footy refreshes you could do in an hour, then try to break that record.
Bart: Sounds like a pretty crappy game to me.
Principle Skinner: Yes, well... Get started.

That and Duursma nominating them you'd think... 4 established players coming in, with 2 combining for close to $1.5m between them in Gresham and McKay. Doesn't leave much war chest

McKay, Goldstein, Gresham and Duursma is a rather underwhelming influx of talent. And Bombers will be paying top dollar to bring them all in.

This trade period will not progress their desire to advance up the ladder.

That’s the deal being done.

He has told the club and SOS confirmed on trade radio Gresham has nominated Essendon as the club he wants to go to
How would he have nominated Essendon if they haven't offered a contract yet? that's what I want to know.

Sounds more like Essendon have given him a verbal ballpark figure, but are yet to formally give him a contract.

How would he have nominated Essendon if they haven't offered a contract yet? that's what I want to know.

Sounds more like Essendon have given him a verbal ballpark figure, but are yet to formally give him a contract.
His agent would know the deal.

Again, issue is compensation. Hence why the threat of matching has come up in the last 24 hours.

Compensation is based on the guaranteed salary.

So if he has an 800k deal as an example.

But 600k is guaranteed and 200k is made up of bonuses.

We would get band 3

So why doesn’t Dodoro remove the bonuses and just roll it into guaranteed income?

Either they want Gresham or they don’t. It’s a binary choice.

Surely us threatening to match is just a load of bs. Bit like Adelaide saying back in 2020
I dont think so.

The difference is Adelaide wanted Crouch gone. They didn't want to keep him but were posturing as if they'd match if it wasn't good enough compo wise. We called their bluff.

With Gresh I'm pretty sure the club are more than happy to keep him. Just on the club's terms, which is why we technically haven't offered a contract and told him to go see what he wants to get on the market. If we decide we're better off keeping him than I'm sure we will have no hesitation in matching. Pretty sure Essendon are aware of this.

So why doesn’t Dodoro remove the bonuses and just roll it into guaranteed income?

Either they want Gresham or they don’t. It’s a binary choice.
Guess they believe he isn’t worth that.

🤷‍♂️ it’s Essendon.

They don’t believe they injected their own players so…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back