List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Dodo, the man doesn't just wish wash a decision and flip, he sits in his chair, has a think, calls 47 journos, they peddle a story, he gets up, stretches, sits back down, calls the club he's dealing with to reiterate same offer. Rinse repeat.

There's a reason why no one really wants to deal with Essendon, and he's the reason. It's why in like a decade they've dealt primarily with;

Carlton
GWS

And literally no one else really, as everyone else just doesn't want to deal with them, period.
You only need to look at Geelong. When they target a player their deals are normally complete in the first couple of days of the trade period. I can't think of any deal of note done between Essendon and the Cats in recent years. I expect Dildoro's number is blocked on the Cat's mobiles.

Surely us threatening to match is just a load of bs. Bit like Adelaide saying back in 2020

We were offering crouch 5 years and crows were only prepared to offer him a couple at most.

Big difference here- I don't expect essendon or gresh want a longterm deal at this stage (gresh coming off a crap year would only get offered low dollars for a 5year deal)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite what we think of Essendon, it is fair enough to only want Gres FA and not trade, we said the exact same thing to Adelaide.
If we are lowballed and match, Gres has to swallow his pride and play at the Saints again. Apparently has a good relationship with RTB so will be all good.
These guys see this as a job, Gres looking to maximise his big paydays before retiring and going back to the real world.

Probably because with Duursma now nominating them they cant actually afford all of these players without giving performance bonuses.
I find it extremely hard to believe a club run as poorly as Essendon has their finances planned so well in advance that they foresaw this coming.

Edit: and with the new injury to Shiel taking him and off the table it leaves that burning a massive hole in their pocket also.

You could be right. But it makes a mockery of all the gloating from them about having a huge war chest to spend and that they don’t need to dump Shiel’s salary.

Suddenly it appears their cap is very tight in the short term.

Last edited:
I hope JB stays at Saints and if he stays relatively fit and we compare stats on 2024 of Coff Gresh and throw in Shiel even Dursma for fun...reckon he beats them all.

As an Essendope supporter they must be extatic getting a bloke who cant kick over 40 Gresh a bloke who cannot get on the park Dursma and for that matter McKay and a 35 year old ruckman with dubious morality issues. All for the bargain price of 15% of your salary cap. Throw in Shiel at $1m who will likely only play after the bye....you have to be stoked.

They will then say they won the trade period... bloody flogs...that's all they will win in 2024.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whatever happens from here, Gresh hopefully walks away from this trade period realising nobody rates him anywhere near what he rates himself.

Happy to take him back, and hopefully this is a bit of a kick up the bum for him.
He's a professional athlete testing his market worth in a career that only lasts 10 years, not sure what the big deal is.

Good on him.

Mmm it’s an interesting one… I’d have prefered we baulked at the asking pricing for Hill and kept our assets. You do want to get the deals done for your club, but you have to do it responsibly.
I think if you do the work to get a player to nominate you. Then you effectively are willing to do what it takes to bring them in.

As a supporter would you care if your club invests another 100k of its cap space if it brought in all the players that nominated them and burnt no picks?

I think if you do the work to get a player to nominate you. Then you effectively are willing to do what it takes to bring them in.

As a supporter would you care if your club invests another 100k of its cap space if it brought in all the players that nominated them and burnt no picks?
I don’t reckon they’ve got the cash to burn because they bit off more than they can chew

I don’t reckon they’ve got the cash to burn because they bit off more than they can chew
Again.

Thats an issue they need to work through and should have prior to all this.

As a club they constantly burn players during trade week. It’s a theme at this point. It perfectly explains why they haven’t won a final in 20 years - yet we have been a basket case since 2011 and we still have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back