Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Not just the loss, but that crowd probably seals Goodwin's fate. It's like the antithesis of West Coast where strong crowds probably kept Simpson in his job this season.
I thought Melbourne gave him a contract extension last year even though the contract was to expire at the end of 2024 - Goodwin’s there till the end of 2026?

It's record is 18,100 and it's had many afl and big bash crowds over 14,000 and that number makes it lower than the 16,000 capacity it used to be before the upgrade around 12 years ago.
that is an inflated attendance. A couple of reasons for that.

1) Nick Cummins, the former Cricket Tas chairman said on Twitter ages ago that the previous ownership inflated the crowd figures massively before his reign.

2) they used to pack them in like sardines, standing room only.

That is the reason why Richmond's max crowd(17.7K-2016) is 3K greater than Carltons max crowd (14.3K-2018). Also why the average has dropped off so much, among other factors.

you look at all attendances. you will see a drop-off when Nick starts his chairmanship (2017). The highest since then is 14.8K in all sports. I don't think they have gotten close to that any other time.

Also why the home semi-final BBL match only got 12.4K in 2019. It would have been a fully ticketed event that one.

As I said, nowadays, they probably only sell 13K max. 15K if they are pushing it.

It’ll be around 16, it’s a crap timeslot on a crap night against a side that nobody actually cares about.

Oldest club in the league and it's the youngest club in the league that's the problem.

Dee's fanbase is deserting them in droves but a small western Sydney fanbase that's the problem?

Yeah, nah.

Oldest club in the league and it's the youngest club in the league that's the problem.

Dee's fanbase is deserting them in droves but a small western Sydney fanbase that's the problem?

Yeah, nah.
Stick to rugby mate, you have no idea about what affects crowds in Melbourne.
One of those things is whether the opposition is a high drawing team. That does not just mean that the interstate side will bring people but that people will want to watch their team play against that particular interstate side.
I.e, we get 32k against west coast in the Sunday 1:10pm timeslot.

Port Adelaide, Fremantle, GWS, Gold Coast are always going to draw less than Adelaide, west coast, Sydney and Brisbane.

One of those things is whether the opposition is a high drawing team. That does not just mean that the interstate side will bring people but that people will want to watch their team play against that particular interstate side.

Port Adelaide, Fremantle, GWS, Gold Coast are always going to draw less than Adelaide, west coast, Sydney and Brisbane.
I have never followed any other sport other than Aussie Rules. .

So your comment may as well fall flat.

I'm well aware what effects crowds..it was a response to no one caring about the Giants. Funny the Dee's fans didn't care enough about the Dee's to come out, either.

I have never followed any other sport other than Aussie Rules. .

So your comment may as well fall flat.

I'm well aware what effects crowds..it was a response to no one caring about the Giants. Funny the Dee's fans didn't care enough about the Dee's to come out, either.
Clearly you haven't learnt much about grammar.

At no point have I said that it was a good turnout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...e-in-line-for-an-upgrade-20240726-p5jwtp.html

Article has no firm details but states that the MCC can pay off the previous redevelopment early and is now in a position to prepare to upgrade the Warne Stand.
“In collaboration with the state government and the MCG Trust, the club has developed a business case to explore various options for the future of the Shane Warne Stand.

“Our current financial position now allows us to potentially contribute to further stadium improvements and possible stand redevelopments.”

All the reserved seats in Hobart were sold. just the members who didn't turn up. The Hill was packed.

Highest since Covid.

It's interesting
that is an inflated attendance. A couple of reasons for that.

1) Nick Cummins, the former Cricket Tas chairman said on Twitter ages ago that the previous ownership inflated the crowd figures massively before his reign.

2) they used to pack them in like sardines, standing room only.

That is the reason why Richmond's max crowd(17.7K-2016) is 3K greater than Carltons max crowd (14.3K-2018). Also why the average has dropped off so much, among other factors.

you look at all attendances. you will see a drop-off when Nick starts his chairmanship (2017). The highest since then is 14.8K in all sports. I don't think they have gotten close to that any other time.

Also why the home semi-final BBL match only got 12.4K in 2019. It would have been a fully ticketed event that one.

As I said, nowadays, they probably only sell 13K max. 15K if they are pushing it.
That is interesting but believable. I noticed all the websites online still have it down as 19,500 though so this will definitely be misleading people. I think for me the big dissapoitment was the amount of reserved north members that didn't turn up for a game against Geelong and considering north has been more competitive recently.

Melbourne's lowest home MCG crowd since 2013, excluding the Covid years.

Melbourne's MCG home crowds since 2000 of less than 20K in attendance.

R7 2011 vs Adelaide = 19,987
R2 2002 vs Port Adelaide = 19,611
R7 2008 vs Fremantle = 19,423
R13 2011 vs Fremantle = 19,092
R3 2013 vs West Coast = 18,571
R22 2012 vs Adelaide = 18,450
R19 2012 vs Gold Coast = 18,097
R20 2008 vs West Coast = 17,958
R17 2001 vs Adelaide = 17,566
R6 2003 vs West Coast = 17,534
R5 2014 vs Gold Coast = 17,243
R21 2014 vs GWS = 17,227
R7 2003 vs Fremantle = 17,009
R4 2007 vs Fremantle = 16,654
R6 2007 vs Port Adelaide = 16,266
R20 2024 vs GWS = 16,246
R15 2009 vs Port Adelaide = 15,888
R5 2009 vs Adelaide = 14,129
R21 2013 vs Fremantle = 13,768
R7 2013 vs Gold Coast = 13,304
R20 2009 vs Fremantle = 13,004
R7 2003 vs Port Adelaide = 12,410

This is precisely why a right-stadium for right-fixture stadium policy is a must. This is not a crack at Melbourne - Hawthorn, Carlton and Richmond have also drawn sub 20,000 to MCG games - but just the next stage of the Melbourne stadium policy.

So Sydney (Homebush) and Adelaide Grand Finals with an option to add another two years onto the AFL contract for Grand Finals at the MCG?

Will be interesting to see how it impacts the co-tenants and AFL members
Isn't the MCG still contracted from now until eternity though to hold the GF? They still held the 2004 GF at the MCG while renos were going on.

I actually thought there were near as many giants as Dees fans there 😅. It was a good turnout for the giants in Melbourne.

Cricket getting rich off footy again, a 30 mill profit mostly down to big AFL crowds, yet they can't name a stand after any footballer? Free loaders.

The AFL and its clubs get almost 70% of football derived revenue from the venue. Its not really freeloading.

In Round 20 of the AFL, Saturday started with a decent crowd in Hobart with the Kangaroos drawing 10,045 to Blundstone Arena for their match against the Cats. This gives the Kangaroos a home season average of 22,113 for the season, and a 2024 average of 6,705 at Blundstone Arena.

People First Stadium had its fourth sellout for the season and its highest ever crowd for the Qclash with 21,043 – beating the previous record by over 4,000. This gives the Suns a home average of 15,248 for the season, with an average of 17,406 on the Gold Coast.

The Saints and Bombers pulled a respectable crowd of 39,761 to Marvel Stadium. This gives the Saints a home average of 29,648 in 2024, while their average at Marvel Stadium in 2024 is 24,665.

The Demons pulled their lowest crowd in years to the MCG as 16,246 hid under shelter at the ground for their match against the Giants. Inclement weather, closed car parks, and the ski season being in full swing, all no doubt contributed. This gives the Demons a home average of 34,710 and an MCG average of 38,285.

Over to Perth, wheree Fremantle experienced its best ever crowd for the Western Derby, as 56,536 people packed into Optus Stadium for the match against West Coast. This takes Fremantles home average attendance to 46,304 for the season. (Its Optus Stadium average is the same).

Saturday Night AFL showed the Derby into Perth and the Demons/Giants game, for an average of 442,000 with a reach of 1.563 million. The is below the 482,000 average audience for the season, but the reach is almost dead on at an average of 1.562 million for the year.

The AFL and its clubs get almost 70% of football derived revenue from the venue. Its not really freeloading.

I'm referring to the fact cricket makes it's money off afl and barely any off cricket itself. Plus it gets all it's oval stadiums and cricket grounds for free and renovations off the back of AFL's big crowds. They also don't contribute to stadia like the afl do, look at Tassie as a recent example, the afl 20 mill, cricket nothing. But they are happy the roof will be high enough for them to use it.

Saturday Night AFL showed the Derby into Perth and the Demons/Giants game, for an average of 442,000 with a reach of 1.563 million. The is below the 482,000 average audience for the season, but the reach is almost dead on at an average of 1.562 million for the year.

The giants v dees game was shoved off to 7 mate in Sydney which would have affected the ratings a bit. As our Sydney centric mates at news.com.au indicated by their article about sister act being on, not realising that Melbourne and Perth had the footy on. The swans big game against the bulldogs today also put on 7 mate instead of the footy, re runs of better homes and gardens and border security I think it was instead.

The afl really need to ensure games are on the main channel, nobody goes to the secondary channels these days now that tv has dozens of stations. Hopefully that was negotiated in the new tv deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back