2024 AFL Awards Season... + Brownlow

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s a very good footballer. I have a lot of time for him. But that voting is so dominant, it would suggest you just have to stop Cripps and you beat the blues. So that’s good to know!
When Curnow and Cerra got injured, Cripps took on even more slack. That he was physically and mentally capable is full of merit. And he said he has worked on getting shut down in games and had his most consistent season. Good on him I say.

It is meaningful, if you accept it's at the umpires discretion, and don't count possessions as the defining value sometimes.
Funny how the end result follows very closely on what good judges predicted.
The good judges know to pick hyped midfielders or their judgement will be shown to be wrong.

In any case, Cripps is a worthy winner and Daicos is a worthy second. The end result is fine i guess once the year is averaged out. But were they the players that influenced the games they played in the most? It's an award for best midfielder as judged by umpires. How can that be the highest honour?

Fun fact: Nick Daicos picked up twice as many Brownlow votes than Richmond.

Some more fun facts:

Heeney, Gulden and Warner combined got 8 more votes than Geelong

Geelong had the lowest average votes per win, by a fair way...

Average votes per win:

North Melbourne
14.00​
Richmond
9.50​
Fremantle
7.91​
Carlton
6.69​
Bulldogs
6.50​
Adelaide
6.50​
Essendon
6.09​
Melbourne
6.09​
Sydney
6.06​
West Coast
6.00​
Brisbane
5.86​
Hawthorn
5.86​
St Kilda
5.82​
Gold Coast
5.82​
GWS
5.67​
Collingwood
5.67​
Port Adelaide
5.25​
Geelong
4.53​

Last edited:

The good judges know to pick hyped midfielders or their judgement will be shown to be wrong.

In any case, Cripps is a worthy winner and Daicos is a worthy second. The end result is fine i guess once the year is averaged out. But were they the players that influenced the games they played in the most? It's an award for best midfielder as judged by umpires. How can that be the highest honour?
quite a few umpires who confer and are at the coalface every game- let it be.

Some more fun facts:

Heeney, Gulden and Warner combined got 8 more votes than Geelong

Geelong had the lowest average points per win, by a fair way...

Average points per win:

North Melbourne
14.00​
Richmond
9.50​
Fremantle
7.91​
Carlton
6.69​
Bulldogs
6.50​
Adelaide
6.50​
Essendon
6.09​
Melbourne
6.09​
Sydney
6.06​
West Coast
6.00​
Brisbane
5.86​
Hawthorn
5.86​
St Kilda
5.82​
Gold Coast
5.82​
GWS
5.67​
Collingwood
5.67​
Port Adelaide
5.25​
Geelong
4.53​
what does this even mean?

True that.
I thought Neale and Bont may have been closer, but Bont seems to play great moments, but maybe not 4 quarters. Who knows. And it matters not. Cripps is a worthy winner this year again.

Having said that, there is a "look" about medal winners. Physical attributes Umps seem to favour. Maybe things are unseen by us, we can't hear it, but their onfield behaviour is probably supportive and exemplary. I don't mind they don't always fall for the weight of expectation in voting.
I'm having money on Bruhn next year. he's got the Look

Last edited:
Btw, Cripps played EVERY game, and very consistently. He had the ability, fitness and resilience to take on the opposition weekly, and be his team's best player almost every week. Not impossible, but very admirable.
So what if he does not get that recognition by coaches and peers.
If it had been Danger or GAJ at their very best, we'd be celebrating.
Cripps is a gun and if he’d won a close count I don’t think anyone would be complaining. But to beat the record by so much, in a season that to me didn’t compare well to true greats like Martin/Danger 17, Danger 16, Ablett 07-14, etc, makes the entire institution look foolish

Because Umps rule. The results are usually right. They are closest to the action. They can appreciate the nitty gritty of play, and won't vote for anyone who gets up their nose. Or throws a Ballantyne pinch fest. It's their traditional privilege, and the AFL, always encouraging respect for Umps, won't take that from them. Flows into all leagues, including kids.

It is meaningful, if you accept it's at the umpires discretion, and don't count possessions as the defining value sometimes.
Funny how the end result follows very closely on what good judges predicted.

The umpires discretion is exactly what is wrong with it and needs to change.

When the player has response of, "WTF, how did I get a vote" and their coach is having a laugh in the background, you know the voting is screwy

BTW, in that game which Richmond won by 5 points, Warner's stat line was:
22 disposals, 3 marks, 0 goals & behinds, 1 goal assist, 5 tackles, 2 clearances, 7 clangers & he went at 59.1 disposal efficiency

He wasn't even close to Sydney's best player let alone the 3rd best player

Heeney had 27 disposals, 8 marks & 2 goals was easily Sydney's best

While Vlastuin had 29 disposals at 100% DE & 577 metres gained (so not just short dinky kicks to teammates), 13 marks, 15 intercepts, 8 rebound 50s & 7 score involvements - equal best on in the coaches votes but zip from the umpires

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Umps rule. The results are usually right. They are closest to the action. They can appreciate the nitty gritty of play, and won't vote for anyone who gets up their nose. Or throws a Ballantyne pinch fest. It's their traditional privilege, and the AFL, always encouraging respect for Umps, won't take that from them. Flows into all leagues, including kids.
I really want to protect the image of the umpires and want to maintain respect for them. In many ways that respect is harder to maintain with these voting outcomes though.

When Curnow and Cerra got injured, Cripps took on even more slack. That he was physically and mentally capable is full of merit. And he said he has worked on getting shut down in games and had his most consistent season. Good on him I say.
For sure- he is a trooper. Works very hard and yep- full of merit. Seems a level headed chap. Happy he won.
And if he’s out with the flu the day you play Carlton, you’d feel pretty confident of a win I’d reckon,

Last edited:
I must have missed this season with Cripps averaging 45 disposals, 20 tackles and 8 goals a game.
Obviously why he averaged over 2 votes per game...

Absolutely laughable. This award has been completely diminished now. Has been for a number of years but last night topped it off.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 AFL Awards Season... + Brownlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back