Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My personal opinion as they can’t really survive without the academies

And anything that annoys the whinging Vics is good in my book

The GF gets played at their home ground , the umpires are based there , the media which makes things happen like encouraging trades home is based there , the farce of a tribunal etc etc

If you want to talk about inequities I wouldn’t be starting with the northern academies
COLA had a much smaller impact than the Northern Acadamies .....and look at the fuss COLA made

I agree GEEL and COLL have won flags purely because of their Father / Sons as well .....which GC and GWS can't get a slice of .....but nor could we in our short Crows History .....so we've not benefitted from Father / Son OR Academies .....that's injustice

COLA had a much smaller impact than the Northern Acadamies .....and look at the fuss COLA made

I agree GEEL and COLL have won flags purely because of their Father / Sons as well .....which GC and GWS can't get a slice of .....but nor could we in our short Crows History .....so we've not benefitted from Father / Son OR Academies .....that's injustice
Max Michaelanny and possibly Tyler Welsh might end up in our top 5 players so it’s going ok in my book

Max Michaelanny and possibly Tyler Welsh might end up in our top 5 players so it’s going ok in my book
Is there anyone else on the horizon tracking particularly well? I know it's difficult to tell a few years out

We would have a good list if they do.

Rachele, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Rankine, Soligo, Curtin, Dawson, Murray all seemingly high level players.

Not that I know of unfort but not much knowledge of anyone under 16

I’ll be surprised if Max brother gets drafted
Crows posted Mark Stevens son in a photo with Tyler a couple of years back, so I think they rate him. A couple of years younger than Welsh but can't find anything.
Lives in Ballarat.

We would have a good list if they do.

Rachele, Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Rankine, Soligo, Curtin, Dawson, Murray all seemingly high level players.

Crows posted Mark Stevens son in a photo with Tyler a couple of years back, so I think they rate him. A couple of years younger than Welsh but can't find anything.
Lives in Ballarat.
Yep I think the difference between having a good list and being contenders will prove to be the trading in of Dawson and Rankine and free hits in Max and Tyler

I like the being within 9 picks to match, that seems fair.

I do wonder if they don't have a pick within 9 do they have to trade on the night to get that close before matching and if they can't organise it in time they lose out on the player is quite harsh. Clubs that are 9 picks away from the bid are gonna leverage that pick for future picks every time.
Maybe if can’t obtain that pick then any defect is deducted from next years equivalent pick

So like they do now if you don’t accumulate points in total but just factoring in the 1st pick more heavily (eg the difference in points between highest pick used and either pick bid at or lowest allowable is deducted from that rd next year)

Basically allows the club to trade a future pick with themselves if other clubs can’t offer better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article in the Australian newspaper in 2022 talking about Max bottom age year in 2021

‘June 2022 — Max was named SA's under-17 MVP for 2021. His football IQ, running ability, athleticism and evasiveness are among his strengths. Jim recalls ...’

Facts are Jack didn’t have close to that kind of bottom age year this year , he’s a good solid player . A late / rookie chance at this point , of course things can change

Not at all

He was being talked about as a father son draftee a long way out

And the recruiters were more aware of his talent than media , I remember being shocked to hear where he was rated by one ( top 10) before a ball had been bounced in 2022
Your first mention at all about Max was June 22nd of his Draft Year .....not exactly a hot topic was it ....and then you was suggesting in the 30's after the Nationals

This board clammers all over Father / Son possibilities

Lets not revise history here

Michalanney was definitely talked about as a definite FS for us, but more as a 25-40 prospect

Would say Jack seems to generally be rated lower than that at this point, but there’s a lot of water to go under the bridge at this point

Your first mention at all about Max was June 22nd of his Draft Year .....not exactly a hot topic was it ....and then you was suggesting in the 30's after the Nationals

This board clammers all over Father / Son possibilities

Lets not revise history here
Someone that works in recruiting shocked me with saying he was firmly in his top 10 ….. I was surprised as I had him likely back end of 2nd round by end of nationals

It made me look a bit closer after hearing someone who had watched him alot more than me and with more knowledge say that about him

More likely this lad but...Hockey seems to be his go, this article from 2021... this would make him in the 15 -16 year old bracket.

U13 BOYS TO WATCH

Rick Barber (Ballarat): A forward with a strong instinct for goal, Barber could cause plenty of problems for opposition defences.

Kayd Divola (Sunraysia): A player who can play at both ends, Divola is a talent on the rise out of the state’s northwest. A halfback predominantly but he can be pushed further up the field.

Mitchell Stevens (Ballarat): Stevens has the ability to limit the attacks of opposition teams on a consistent basis.

Austin Ross-Anderson (Albury-Wodonga): A talented striker who will find himself in the right positions more often than not, leading to plenty of chances for his side.

Tom Templeton (Glenelg): Described as being “very skilful” for his age by officials, Templeton looms as a must watch for years to come.

Ajay Heagney (Albury-Wodonga): Someone who will consistently push the ball forward for their side with his terrific dribbling skills.

Mason Sutton (Ballarat): A midfielder who is simply a must watch this weekend. He will bring plenty of excitement to the competition.

Daniel McKenzie (Sunraysia): A striker who will always take his chances in front of goal, McKenzie could easily walk away as the competition’s top scorer.

Phoenix Hawkins (Albury-Wodonga): Playing one of the most important positions on the pitch, the youngster loves nothing more than keeping the ball out of his own net.

Hayden Bourne (Ballarat): Alongside the previously mentioned Stevens, this young gun will be hoping to take his game to another level against quality opposition.
Mitch Stevens playing for Heyfield(??) and Gippsland Power in Vic Country u-16s earlier this year:

Gippsland is a long way from Ballarat
Jack Christian was best-on for the winners and received good support from Harper Fraser, Ethan Davies, Jackson Reid, Jacob Hanratty and Mitchell Stevens.

Continuing the proud football tradition in Heyfield, Mitchell is a relation to Adelaide premiership player Mark Stevens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back