Preview 2024 AFL Season, Penultimate round: St. Kilda Saints v Lara Kitties, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 17th of August 7:30PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2008
Sunbury
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Sunbury Lions
St-Kilda-vs-Geelong.png
Round 23, 17th August, 7:30PM Marvel Stadium. Saints v Cats

Last time they met was way back in round one, where everyone had hope that maybe it won't be so bad, maybe we can progress, maybe they wont blatantly cheat the systems in place, who knows! As it stood, despite a comeback attempt the old fart BT likes repeating as if he is a detector for anything but vacuous stupidity, cut a 1 pt margin to an 8 pt win to them.

Now we come full circle, Cats are playing for a top 4 double chance opportunity, we are telling the Crows to get good FFS as we want pick 4 so Battle could walk for picks 4+5 if only the Crows sucked less than they do to be marginally better than us. That's right it is 14th v 4th and Lyons quest to play Grinch and ruin peoples day is fast approaching!

For the absolute LOL's; This game is one of three that are on all major partners; FTA, Digital, radio, everyone wants to tune in to see this monumental mismatch, as the only other game on Saturday night is the Showdown between the Crows and Power in South Australia obviously. For posterity; both this match and theirs have similar odds where Port should shit it in, and cats should do the same according to bookies.

So as the once great man said;

yam chairman GIF

Saints by 47 since it's not at GMHBA and this time they have to drive past the prison.

Hear ye Hear ye.

For all you Gourmet toastie lovers..........here's your big chance to grab a treat at the Cafe at Rsea Park this week.

TRAINING ALERT:

Here's this weeks days/times for those planning to attend.......and grab a toastie of course !!!!!!

And the coffee's are sensational too.

It's a "short" week.

WED.......it's a "craft session"(whatever that entails) at 10 am ish.

THUR........the main session ........10.30.

Enjoy yr toastie and coffee.

Over and out.

Clearly that's where the players practice thier arts and crafts.

I hear Jack Higgins can make a mean wicker basket.

As July Christmas was a thing and I still have the apron from that event, August would be "new years resolutions" where the DFC gets a work out.

Geelong's ladder position flatters them. They are no longer invincible at home which is an indication that they've slipped. I rate them a 6-8th team. Last year we ended their final's hopes at a similar stage of the season and the previous year we were the last team to beat them before they won the flag. That's the last twice at Marvel we've rolled them.

We were ordinary in rd 1 at the Cattery but still nearly stole it late. If we give it a real crack I wouldn't rule out sticking it up them again. However, if we've put the cue in the rack then obviously not. It'll be nice to play them without Hawkins for once.

Do not experiment with selection here!

Bali brain will take over with the merest excuse.

Let there be no window open and close all curtains!

Keep that Bali sunrise out of the Saints players’ eyes and imaginations.

What allows for an early Bali sunrise?

Garry Rohan comes back and they scoot off to a six goal lead.

RTB goes off and the pot belly stove explodes at halftime in the changerooms.

Out comes the Bali sun as players start checking flights and hotels

If there is any hint that we are ‘giving the kids a run’ this game, it is the perfect excuse to drop off intensity.

Similarly, farewell games, new positions etc.

Geelong's ladder position flatters them. They are no longer invincible at home which is an indication that they've slipped. I rate them a 6-8th team. Last year we ended their final's hopes at a similar stage of the season and the previous year we were the last team to beat them before they won the flag. That's the last twice at Marvel we've rolled them.

We were ordinary in rd 1 at the Cattery but still nearly stole it late. If we give it a real crack I wouldn't rule out sticking it up them again. However, if we've put the cue in the rack then obviously not. It'll be nice to play them without Hawkins for once.
I doubt the team has put the cue in the rack even though some of us would prefer it.

Cats…who knows. Tom H has been a bit of a liability for them of late so I wouldn’t really care.

The Blues with their injuries and late season fade out…the mate I always have a bet with over our game, for a good bottle of red, all but conceded to me today. So we’ll see.

May as well debut a youngster here. Give Keeler a run. Does he deserve it? Maybe not, but who cares.

Wouldn't be against seeing Hotton or Alison either. Both probably on the chopping block. Worth a look at senior level before any hard decisions are made.
Especially if Josh B is gone, which appears extremely likely.
Keebler, Shoey, Garcia… get ‘em all in over the next 2 games.

Have a feeling we'll go down by 6+ goals here but get up against the Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillipou and Garcia are probably the only realistic inclusions. Dow was a late in last week but I think he should keep his spot. Maybe McLennan and Jones out and Butler made the sub.

In - Phillipou
Out - McLennan

Jones sub.

A bit harsh on McLennan but Dow's performance warranted him staying in. While I'd love to see Garcia given a go, I'm so fine with him staying at Sandy and getting that extra midfield time. It's a big game for them with their slim finals chances so playing in a game with meaning is also a good development experience for him.

If I were Hugo Garcia I'd be asking for a trade at seasons end if 34 touches, 12 tackles & 3 goals aren't rewarded at the selection table this week. Absurd that he keeps putting up these kind of numbers week in week out playing in a feast or famine position even in the VFL and is still ignored.

If I were Hugo Garcia I'd be asking for a trade at seasons end if 34 touches, 12 tackles & 3 goals aren't rewarded at the selection table this week. Absurd that he keeps putting up these kind of numbers week in week out playing in a feast or famine position even in the VFL and is still ignored.

SteeleSaints what's so funny? Why do you want to hold back young talent and keep playing spuds?

47ADA0BC-0098-472D-BE57-0C13446D2D4C.jpeg

He is still in his first year, I don't think playing as our number 1 mid at VFL level is going to hurt his development. He isn't being ignored even if he isn't picked this week, anyone can see he is a talented player. Phillipou has shown this year that dominating at VFL level can be very important for young players.
I think you should worry more about your own South Melbourne not choking your June premiership away and losing to the injectors this week.

Do not experiment with selection here!

Bali brain will take over with the merest excuse.

Let there be no window open and close all curtains!

Keep that Bali sunrise out of the Saints players’ eyes and imaginations.

What allows for an early Bali sunrise?

Garry Rohan comes back and they scoot off to a six goal lead.

RTB goes off and the pot belly stove explodes at halftime in the changerooms.

Out comes the Bali sun as players start checking flights and hotels

If there is any hint that we are ‘giving the kids a run’ this game, it is the perfect excuse to drop off intensity.

Similarly, farewell games, new positions etc.
Bali Brain 🧠🤣🤣🤣
That’s definitely Steelo.
Either that or Trade Brain. 🧠

VFL is for development. Let him develop consistency. We need him getting used to being the Big Dog. Not much to gain by exposing him to most of the same dribs and drabs in the AFL. Better for him to get the feeling of heading to a finals campaign with the guys he's been playing with all year, if they actually make the finals, so much the better.

Next season however is gonna be breakout for Hugo à Gogo! Get him in the number 5 or 6 jumper, sit back and enjoy

In - Phillipou
Out - McLennan

Jones sub.

A bit harsh on McLennan but Dow's performance warranted him staying in. While I'd love to see Garcia given a go, I'm so fine with him staying at Sandy and getting that extra midfield time. It's a big game for them with their slim finals chances so playing in a game with meaning is also a good development experience for him.
Yes now he is fit I would like them to play Dow in our last two games to see how he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back