Autopsy 2024 AFL Season: Rnd 21 Saints v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be honest with ourselves, we've had a few good wins of late, but we've also played a number of teams out of form.

Today was a bit od a reality check of where we are actually at.
They are much better and we just didn't turn up. 5 or 6 goal loss but not a 13 goal loss.
Pressure non existent

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

As a unit, the midfield got spanked badly from the first bounce, I don't care if Pou looked ok or whatever, but maybe the midfield coach needs moving on, as does the forward coach, but who would want to be a forward with such a putrid midfield who can't get the ball to them. I doubt if Richo or Ratts would have had such a poor result.

Actually quite pleased with that.

After the win against Sydney, we didn’t need Max anymore.

After the loss to Adelaide, silence.

Then we rebound against Eagles, play better without max blah blah.

Smash the bombers, again no need for Max, Sharman and Caminiti play better without him.

Brisbane, silence.

Can we just all agree we bloody need to get a lot better, Max is going to be a huge part of that.
Whether we like it or not, yes, Max will be a part of it. I'm not sure he'll help one way or the other...but yes, he'll be a part of whatever occurs...be it if any significance whatsoever, or not.

Not long out of bed here in England on a Sunday morning.

Checks score.

Goes back to bed.
Yep, I hear ya. Missed the first quarter, saw the score, made a coffee...put some rashers on, fed the cat, patted the dog. Made tea for the Mrs. Went upstairs and read some of my book, had a play wrestle with my kid, and checked the final score.
No need to watch that shite...if they're not going to bother, why should I?

They aren’t robots so sometimes this happens - but shocking performance up there with the Bulldogs game. Undid all the good work over the last month or so.

Sincs, NAS, Pou & McLennan can hold their heads up. Difficult for the forwards tonight given the quantity & quality of entries. The rest need to have a good hard look at themselves.

Smashed in the clearances & contested ball - very difficult to win (or be competitive) when you are always chasing.

Right now Lions are probably marching to the Premiership - so understandably we were beaten - but not competitive from the first bounce. The difference between the quantity and quality of midfielders we have and they have is of Grand Canyon proportions!

The best way for the coaches to deal with this is to tell them tonight in no uncertain terms that they didn’t go hard enough & do a quick debrief showing the failings tomorrow - otherwise never mention it again & get back to hard work on the track.

As a game to tank to obtain as good a draft pick as possible it was a masterful display with 5 per cent knocked to guard against us drawing level on points with another team.

Also very good was Guses first game. Very good considering how badly the team was playing.

But apart from that what a pathetic shitshow of lack of effort, poor decisions and fumbles and turnovers.

Congrats to the Lions on showing how football should be played.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m almost at the point where we consider exploring the option of trading Steele. Only one with 1st round draft pick currency.

Go into next year with a midfield of Pou, Owens, Windhager, Henry, Sincs, Wilson, Clark & Garcia and our 2 1st round mids… Ross, Dow, Jones as experienced depth.

It could be painful for a year or 2 but we need to develop and be aggressive before Tassie come in and ruin the party.

Hopefully by 2027 we’ll have a strong young midfield core with experienced forwards in King, Sharman and Caminiti.

We can’t keep half arsing these rebuilds.

Last edited:
I’m almost at the point where we consider exploring the option of trading Steele. Only one with 1st round draft pick currency.

Go into next year with a midfield of Pou, Owens, Windhager, Henry, Sincs, Wilson, Clark & Garcia and our 2 1st round mids… Ross, Dow, Jones as experienced depth.

It could be painful for a year or 2 but we need to develop and be aggressive before Tassie come in and ruin the party.

Hopefully by 2027 we’ll have a strong young midfield core with experienced forwards in King, Sharman and Caminiti.

We can’t keep half arsing these rebuilds.
They don’t see Owens as a mid sadly

Actually quite pleased with that.

After the win against Sydney, we didn’t need Max anymore.

After the loss to Adelaide, silence.

Then we rebound against Eagles, play better without max blah blah.

Smash the bombers, again no need for Max, Sharman and Caminiti play better without him.

Brisbane, silence.

Can we just all agree we bloody need to get a lot better, Max is going to be a huge part of that.
Yes, couldn't be truer. Against weak backlines we look good but Andrews and co just ragdolled us all game.

Can't see how we'd be better off signing Battle on $800-900k a year, rather than letting him go for a top pick to try and sort out this midfield. He's a decent player but we need as many lotto tickets as we can get to try and fix this.
Agreed

You know what, for a few reasons I haven’t had time to watch nearly as much footy this year, but that might have been a lucky break. I really do admire you Sainters who watch every minute of it year after year after year. You guys go above and beyond loyalty. I get frustrated as a casual fan on the other side of the world who has no former connection to the club. I can’t imagine the mental anguish most have you have experienced supporting this club. No supporters (perhaps with North) deserve some good times more than you.

Lachie Neale 33 disposals, 13 clearances
Hugh McCluggage 28, nine clearances, one goal
Josh Dunkley 20, seven clearances

lowest score ever against the lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 AFL Season: Rnd 21 Saints v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back