Autopsy 2024 AFL Season: Rnd 21 Saints v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what, for a few reasons I haven’t had time to watch nearly as much footy this year, but that might have been a lucky break. I really do admire you Sainters who watch every minute of it year after year after year. You guys go above and beyond loyalty. I get frustrated as a casual fan on the other side of the world who has no former connection to the club. I can’t imagine the mental anguish most have you have experienced supporting this club. No supporters (perhaps with North) deserve some good times more than you.
We deserve it way more than North. They won a couple of premierships there in the 90's, and we're making prelims there until they blew up their list for a billion handouts.

They don’t see Owens as a mid sadly
I think Ross is dead wrong. Makes zero sense, Owens is a contested beast. Teach him to be a mid ffs, the talent is there.

If we do assume Ross and the club are correct and he is a forward only, unfortunately expectations for Owens as a future prospect must be ratcheted down dramatically.

How many elite 3rd forwards are there in the comp that don't go through the middle? Peak Jack Dunstan comes to mind. However he is an elite kick. Owens is a horrible set shot, never going to be a 40+ a year goal kicker.

Once Ross decides something, that is it. Michael Barlow was a classic example. Ross never rated him as a mid prospect, took another coach to give him the chance. Was an instant gun. Interestingly, Owens is a similar sort of player.

Seems unfathomable to me he is not rated as a mid prospect. Anyway, looks like we will never know anytime soon, if he could become a gun mid. Not if Ross is around.

Tanking for sure
The thing is results have been much better recently. Perhaps it’s just one of those days at the tail end of a tough season, where you run into a very good team playing on top form and you just have to take your medicine.

He literally started the game on the ball. Jeez, its about building him up as a mid, not sending him to the wolves straight away.
Owens only started as a mid because after the bounce, the plan was for Marshall to drag McInerny away from subsequent bounces and Owens to become the ruckman.

Looked like the coaching staff had a very definite plan which they hoped would nullify the Lions midfield but it failed dismally.

All the mids (including Marshall) seemed to be focussed on their opponents rather than the ball.

Mitch and Nas kicking more goals against Dunstall and Dickhead on Bounce tonight than we kicked in this game.

Even that show is more entertaining than the show we put on today.

We got a reality check today against the best team going around, we're a work in progress and we still have a lot of work to do.

I've got faith in Ross the Builder to build our team into a premiership contender, he just needs some more talented young bricks.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Last edited:
I thought Stocker tried hard all night. McLennan looked okay. Roma had a good last quarter.
That's about all the positivity I can find.
Well, the umps were great….just not for us.

(And no, I’m not blaming them for the smashing, but they were as putrid as we were for much of the game.)

As both players and coaching got plaudits for the last month. They both get a decent whack today.
Not many with positive impacts.
Some tried. But we looked scared at times and some just gave up way too easily.
I think we can see why players like Bonner and Dow aren't required by their former teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are much better and we just didn't turn up. 5 or 6 goal loss but not a 13 goal loss.
Pressure non existent

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Brings them back to reality , midfield is our problem as we have known for years , at least now we know we have a future A grade mid in Phillipou and with Windhager we should be far better in the next few years.
At least we have found out what a few of our players can do like Sharman last week , Phillipou after his stint in the 2s and guys like Windhager who seems to be on the right trajectory.
Hammer is another who has shown he can play and Wilson who was no where near it today will be a future star.
I would like Keeler to get a run and Heath.

As both players and coaching got plaudits for the last month. They both get a decent whack today.
Not many with positive impacts.
Some tried. But we looked scared at times and some just gave up way too easily.
I think we can see why players like Bonner and Dow aren't required by their former teams.
Bonner and Dow should only be depth next year at best.

The thing is results have been much better recently. Perhaps it’s just one of those days at the tail end of a tough season, where you run into a very good team playing on top form and you just have to take your medicine.
Tbh they had a lot more to play for.
Would’ve been ok with a regular loss.
Still not hysterical about this one, but it wasn’t pleasant viewing. Meh.
Hope Battle decides Hawks are far more promising. We need every draft pick we can get.

Well, the umps were great….just not for us.

(And no, I’m not blaming them for the smashing, but they were as putrid as we were for much of the game.)
My mate went to the game and was feeding me info (whilst I was trying to read my book 🙄) and yes, a special shout out for the umpires needs to be noted.
Capital effort lads...capital effort.
Charlie Sheen Applause GIF

After a belting like that, I find it really hard to comment as it is usually reactive and pessimistic.

However, what I’ll say is that this is the game that showcases that our midfield is taking this club nowhere. It has done well over the last month to overachieve hugely, but let’s not kid ourselves. It doesn’t matter how hard you whip a donkey, it’s never going to outperform Winx.

We obviously need to find creative ways to bring in midfield talent through the draft, because we don’t have the luxury of going down the shopping aisle and picking someone off the shelf through a trade or free agency.

The thing that makes me ponder is how they expect to get more draft capital this off season. If Battle is going to resign, then that throws away the opportunity to take two great picks to the draft. In my reactive state, Battle resigning makes me feel weird. It feels like a typical Saints way of keeping loyal servants etc instead of making an unpopular but maybe largely beneficial decision. I assume we have a plan this offseason, but jeez we will need to get creative because other teams are getting kissed on the pecker. I’d feel really flat if Pou hadn’t broken out like he has. Watching him allows to be optimistic that we have that A Grade talent we need to win a flag.

Also, can’t wait for the Lions to win the flag and pick up arguably the best player in the draft. Great league we have.

Look after yourselves and let’s hope we get a response against the Tigers.

We were fumbly hesitant and Brisbane were neither. They toweled us up, got the lucky bounces got the 50/50 umpire decisions and that was that. We looked worse than bad, Bris are flying.

Look at Essendon they weren't worth jack last week and probably do the hardest road trip downing Freo.

McLennan looks like a player, so better to persist with him instead of Bonner.

Cannot see anything positive attributes with Dow...need a proper preseason I think.

I would let Battle go if we can as we need premium mid fielders.

Steele looked not that interested...maybe he is on the move....who knows

Next year Saints

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I went and saw Deadpool and Wolverine with my son at 3pm so i missed the start of the game. Oh well.
We were looking for somewhere to eat afterwards, walked past the The Sporting Globe, saw the score, ok we aren't eating here.

Contested Possession stats.
McLuggage 14
Neale 12
Battle 12
Dunkley 9
Naz 8
McInerney 8
Smith 8
Brain 8
Starchevich 7
Raynor 7
Phillipou 7