Autopsy 2024 AFL Season: Rnd 21 Saints v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference between a premiership calibre midfield and our midfield was on show today for all to see. That was an abysmal effort from all involved.

Really you could pretty well copy and paste this reponse into 90% of the autopsy threads since 2012.

Every 8-10 weeks the team bobs up and has a good patch and all the usual suspects come back on and post that we are a just a player away from a flag. On the right track. Frankly we have been on the wrong track since 1972.

We are not close. We are 3- 4 A grade players, a coach and an administration away from a flag. And that may be generous. Brisbane is a in a flag window and had something to play for. It was boys vs men.

I was very frustrated with our lack of pressure and physicality. There were opportunities for our blokes to legally hammer an opp player and they didn’t.
3 on 1 vs Charlie Cameron and they all spread to provide an option, when a simple and legal shepherd would have taken him out of the contest.

In addition, the lions consistently looked to have bigger bodies around the contest. Looked boys against men at times.

Lastly, while they had a lot of supply our defensive structure looked very poor. It’s normally reliable but today they managed to get 1 on 1s on a slow play with high balls in and still manage to take a mark.

It’s incredibly demoralising how hard it is for us to rebuild the midfield, without giving up talent, when Brisbane will likely finish top 2 and again get a top 3 pick (and probably a later 1st rounder). This is in addition to grabbing pick 3 (Ashcroft), pick 12 (Fletcher) + Dunkley in 1 off-season, while finishing top 4. On what planet is that an equal competition. Nothing short of disgraceful. This sort of garbage makes the league reminiscent of the Premier League. The AFL needs to stop taking about equalisation and admit they have no interest in equalisation.

They also get Sam Marshall who is rated around pick 20 from their academy this year. Looks really good and Anabele next year who is one of the best kids in next year's draft. Goldy get Zeke Uwland next year. Lombard this year.

Geez we're a fickle bunch, last week Battle was staying and everyone was stoked, now it's let him walk we need to draft another mid. Yes we need midfield talent clearly but more draft picks won't help the current group, free agency or trade could.
Current group won’t get there. We are 5years away.

Brutal demonstration of the need for quality mids.

So the very harsh professional equation becomes - do you pay $900k a year for 5 years for a 3rd defender or play someone like Schoenmaker and spend the extra $600k a year on top of what you'd offer the likes of LDU or Brayshaw.
You say that like we are actively making that choice.

We aren't missing out on a contracted LDU or Brayshaw this year because we aren't offering them enough money. They are players happy at their currently clubs and will get paid a lot to stay there. We aren't making the wrong 'chice' because we didn't attract players who aren't leaving anyway.

Take this with a grain of salt (because I made it myself), but I was quite surprised when I read that Brisbane's team was younger tonight. This probably looks better with Windhager, Henry and King, but regardless we got done by 85. Paints a grim picture when its possible (likely?) they win the flag and get the best player in the draft :(

View attachment 2069275

FWIW I've got no agenda here, just thought it was interesting.
Ok, that's good enough for me. I'm barracking for Brisbane from now on.

Noticed a lack of second efforts, and the lack of chase- too many played too far off their opponents from the start, and gave up on chasing. It's one thing being beaten by a top team, but it is worrying when our team is not competitive. Lyon set that game up wrong from the start.

Geez we're a fickle bunch, last week Battle was staying and everyone was stoked, now it's let him walk we need to draft another mid. Yes we need midfield talent clearly but more draft picks won't help the current group, free agency or trade could.

100% on this.

The weekends result doesn't mean we change our opinion on a valued team member like Battle.

Was a pretty awful effort collectively.

Thoughts:

St Kilda this year: 3-9 with Hunter Clark out, 5-3 with Hunter Clark in. Also St Kilda win 53% of their matches since the start of 2020 with Byrnes in the side, and 45% with him not in the side (that's the fifth highest at the club behind Wood, Membrey, Crouch and Battle).

I liked McLennan and would keep him in, but were a little outside heavy with the changes by the time the game started. Having said that, Dow did little when he came on.

Good to see Philipou wasn't a two week wonder. Hopefully he finishes the season off strongly.

No one was getting off Daniher Island alive yesterday. Poor Dougal.

Didn’t even realise Gus was playing, recognised him on the far side of the ground and was truly surprised to see him. Seemed at the level though.

Did he take a decent intercept mark at some point that got fans applauding?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was like Men vs Boys out there.

Ready to put this season to bed to be honest.

Brisbane probably win the flag this season. They are the best side in it at the moment and by a margin. They are peaking at the right time and have incredible depth of quality. We are still thin especially on ball and up front. We rely on a few players and when they don't stand up we look absolute shit.

We need quality on ballers and have done for ages. You can get away with it against some sides but Brisbane are one that you struggle to hide against.

Last time we played them I think was when we played Campbell and it worked well having a player that at least halved the ruck contests. We should look at Macrae types and any other bridging mids and recruit mids with our high picks. We just ahem to get quality first use. Our outside players and backs hold up usually and are generally above average in the comp.

The damage done in list management that left holes all through the list but especially midfield can't be repaired quickly but needs a two step process with something pre-built for now and some quality coming through for the future.

Current group won’t get there. We are 5years away.

I don't think so. We either get a finals run in the next 4 years or start again from a long way back. If we don't make finals with Marshall, Steele, Wilkie, Sinclair, Hill, Wood etc..... we are Nas, Snags, Owens, King, Henry, Pou, Wilson and whoever else makes it to the level from our kids. We are starting behind just about everyone apart from WCEs and Richmond if we are talking a long rebuild.

Brisbane probably win the flag this season. They are the best side in it at the moment and by a margin. They are peaking at the right time and have incredible depth of quality. We are still thin especially on ball and up front. We rely on a few players and when they don't stand up we look absolute shit.

We need quality on ballers and have done for ages. You can get away with it against some sides but Brisbane are one that you struggle to hide against.

Last time we played them I think was when we played Campbell and it worked well having a player that at least halved the ruck contests. We should look at Macrae types and any other bridging mids and recruit mids with our high picks. We just ahem to get quality first use. Our outside players and backs hold up usually and are generally above average in the comp.

The damage done in list management that left holes all through the list but especially midfield can't be repaired quickly but needs a two step process with something pre-built for now and some quality coming through for the future.
Good thing we can fix those holes starting with getting Ashcroft, oh that's right the premiership favourite gets him for free.

May have to target a Darcy. Oh I forgot the other flag favourite gets him gor free.

No worries, those Gold Coast NGA's look fantastic, let's grab them....oh that's right.

But we can't complain, we got Angus McClennan and Dwayne said he looked good.
Glad we can stay as the Washington Generals while the flag favourites top up on the no.1 dp for nothing.

Dillon and Laura Kane, have nailed this equalisation.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thoughts:

St Kilda this year: 3-9 with Hunter Clark out, 5-3 with Hunter Clark in. Also St Kilda win 53% of their matches since the start of 2020 with Byrnes in the side, and 45% with him not in the side (that's the fifth highest at the club behind Wood, Membrey, Crouch and Battle).

I liked McLennan and would keep him in, but were a little outside heavy with the changes by the time the game started. Having said that, Dow did little when he came on.

Good to see Philipou wasn't a two week wonder. Hopefully he finishes the season off strongly.

No one was getting off Daniher Island alive yesterday. Poor Dougal.

Hunter Clark seems to be out best inside player at the moment. Dow looks a worry now. I don't know if he makes it to AFL standard. Looks worse than Jones.

Good thing we can fix those holes starting with getting Ashcroft, oh that's right the premiership favourite gets him for free.

May have to target a Darcy. Oh I forgot the other flag favourite gets him gor free.

No worries, those Gold Coast NGA's look fantastic, let's grab them....oh that's right.

Glad we can stay as the Washington Generals while the flag favourites top up on the no.1 dp for nothing.

I think the father son rule is pretty interesting.

Its not as level playing field as we think.

Great teams had great players, meaning there is more chance of producing great children players.

The less successful teams had great players leave the club or just didn't attract the great players. Meaning their genetic pool is not as strong.

It will just get worse for teams like St Kilda under this rule and the gap will widen.

Clubs that have been handed years of riches have never really dominated footy. You are better to get your systems right and have some clever recruiting outside of the draft system.

There are ways to exploit the system for your benefit. Geelong got GC to pay them to take a high picked player and gave them a FR draft pick for it.

Like in life most of the people I know that were born into money are lazy and entitled. The hard working ones that come from nothing are much better at exploiting what they've got. We need to be that and not just accept that the system is stacked against us. Plenty of strugglers have reversed their fortunes through smart decision making.

Dow actually won some clearances last night which cant be said for most of the other mids.
His near complete lack of pre-season and then more injuries has ruined any chance of him really being a contributing player this year.

This off/pre-season we really better hope on some inury luck for our players. If we can get through unscathed we will be much better off.

We were absolutely slaughtered. They played as well as they can play, we played as bad as we can play. Add in the ball bouncing their way all day, whilst we were constantly falling over, quite comical at times, we were lucky really not be beaten by 20 plus goals.

I think the father son rule is pretty interesting.

Its not as level playing field as we think.

Great teams had great players, meaning there is more chance of producing great children players.

The less successful teams had great players leave the club or just didn't attract the great players. Meaning their genetic pool is not as strong.

It will just get worse for teams like St Kilda under this rule and the gap will widen.

We were also a very unstable environment with players moving constantly. Only a very select group managed to get through to 100 games for us back in the 80s and early 90s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 AFL Season: Rnd 21 Saints v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back