Autopsy 2024 AFL Season: Rnd 21 Saints v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Wood and Jack Steele ring a bell?

There will be some hits and misses, but it's going to be our best chance of improving talent while still going to the draft.
Were both getting games.
Next!

Last edited:
Weird that I'm more annoyed by Bombers beating Freo by a point than our loss.

It was a weird game to watch for mine because it simultaneously looked like we didn't really do much wrong for a lot of the game, it was just nothing seemed to go right for us whereas every random bounce and touch for Brisbane just seemed to work out for them. There were times we had momentum but just couldn't score.

That said - it also looked like for most of the game that no-one in the midfield or forward had a clue about wheat they were actually meant to be doing. There was one bit where we had a three on one by the goal square as a really good opportunity, and we couldn't sort out who was going for the mark and who was protecting the space and no goal was the result.

Well......that was fun....NOT...!!!!!

That was a very very tough arvo/evening at the office.

A tough tough watch.....horrendous actually.

It was like watching a replay of the Dogs game earlier in the season.

There was absolutely nothing after the first bounce.

Brissy were bigger...stronger...faster and pretty well made zero mistakes.....as a few have said....men against boys is how it looked.

Mercifully our pre game lunch/booze up was a cracker.....couldn't help but feel a few of the troops were fueling up in case the worst scenario occurred....which the good lord duly delivered......the fun stopped as soon as we went thru the gate at Marvel.

On a slightly more light hearted theme.....one of the group brought along 2 American guys(one hit our fair shores for the first time last Thursday).....first time that they'd seen an Aussie Rules game....and they were absolutely pumped.

Both rocked up to the pre game wearing Saints scarves.....very impressive and bonus points were duly awarded.

One asked me during the 3rd qtr....jokingly.....yeah right...."why do we support such an ordinary side".......I very discretely put a big black texta line thru his name for future invites.

The other also said during the 3rd qtr....."Brisbane look bigger.....run faster....don't fumble....made no errors....you guys are nothing like them"......I looked at him and felt like saying .."no shit Sherlock"

Anyway.....they loved Aussie rules and the spectacle.....had "an awesome day"

Pity none of us did.

;););)

Well, the umps were great….just not for us.

(And no, I’m not blaming them for the smashing, but they were as putrid as we were for much of the game.)
I didn't get back until late.....but does anyone know if there was any footage of the 3 umps in the players circle in the rooms post game singing the Brissy song????

You say that like we are actively making that choice.

We aren't missing out on a contracted LDU or Brayshaw this year because we aren't offering them enough money. They are players happy at their currently clubs and will get paid a lot to stay there. We aren't making the wrong 'chice' because we didn't attract players who aren't leaving anyway.
Both RFA next year, so now is the time to be talking to their managers.

If there clubs are talking a mill a year and we are talking 1.5, I'm sure they'll answer the phone.

Just on Rowan:

McInerny remains Rowan kryptonite. Rowan's problem against Oscar (and Gawn) is he becomes completely focussed on his opponent, and half the battle is already lost. I like some of the stuff he did, but he needs to just try to play his own game at stoppage, like he does most weeks.
The whole mid field was asked to play a different way in an attempt to nullify the Brisbane mids.

Maybe the coaches were asking too much of the players.

The whole mid field was asked to play a different way in an attempt to nullify the Brisbane mids.

Maybe the coaches were asking too much of the players.
There was a lot of changeups in the midfield. Owens, Nas, Stocker and others all attended a considerable amount of centre bounces.

I do genuinely wonder how much we were setting up to really compete in this game. I think a loss was expected but I doubt the coaches expected us to be that bad.

He’s got to go
I’m sorry for every good kick he does he’s soft and follows with a turnover
Hinkley saw it ….. cmon Ross eyes wide open time
Depth ..if that …pump games into kids Bonner has peaked
To be honest, we’re trying to over compensate our lack of ball winning with outside types who can hit targets, Wilson, Hill, Nas, Bonner.. Unfortunately this makes the team even worse at defending / contested ball if under pressure

Good thing we can fix those holes starting with getting Ashcroft, oh that's right the premiership favourite gets him for free.

May have to target a Darcy. Oh I forgot the other flag favourite gets him gor free.

No worries, those Gold Coast NGA's look fantastic, let's grab them....oh that's right.

But we can't complain, we got Angus McClennan and Dwayne said he looked good.
Glad we can stay as the Washington Generals while the flag favourites top up on the no.1 dp for nothing.

Dillon and Laura Kane, have nailed this equalisation.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I actually can’t believed they double down on the academies.

When Ross spoke to the fox crew before the game and they brought up improved forward 50 entries... he said they'd been training it really hard to improve in that area .There had been a focus on leading patterns etc.

That's all great, but I would hope that was the case all year.

Anyone who thinks our coaches improving isn't part of this puzzle are blind.

We as a club need to get much better. Players... coaches... everyone. It's been a shithouse year. We've played shithouse football for large parts of it. If you think getting a few better mids is going to fix everything in a side that often shows appalling skills and has a completely dysfunctional forward line, you're tripping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a lot of changeups in the midfield. Owens, Nas, Stocker and others all attended a considerable amount of centre bounces.

I do genuinely wonder how much we were setting up to really compete in this game. I think a loss was expected but I doubt the coaches expected us to be that bad.
Started from the first bounce so clearly they had a "plan".

Marshall, Steele, Sinclair and Owens started in the square - I doubt that has happened in any previous game.

We get torched in the first clearance and 30 seconds later there's a ball up in the Lions fwd 50 - Marshall runs back to the centre circle to draw McInerney away from the contest and Owens becomes the ruckman.

The plan may have got McInerney away from the ruck contests but it also took one our best clearances players away from the contest as well.

In the second half they were just throwing players in the midfield and hoping something would happen.

Dow actually won some clearances last night which cant be said for most of the other mids.
His near complete lack of pre-season and then more injuries has ruined any chance of him really being a contributing player this year.

This off/pre-season we really better hope on some inury luck for our players. If we can get through unscathed we will be much better off.
I think you're right. Quick hands in close and did some nice things in and under to make me think he shouldn't be written off yet. Need to evaluate after a solid pre season to be fair

Marshall, Steele, Sinclair and Owens started in the square - I doubt that has happened in any previous game.

We get torched in the first clearance and 30 seconds later there's a ball up in the Lions fwd 50 - Marshall runs back to the centre circle to draw McInerney away from the contest and Owens becomes the ruckman.

The plan may have got McInerney away from the ruck contests but it also took one our best clearances players away from the contest as well.

In the second half they were just throwing players in the midfield and hoping something would happen.
I had the glass's on owens in the first and couldn't workout what he was doing and where he was running. Obviously a plan but when you don't have the ball it got ugly quickly

I noticed that as well as I saw him playing much further up in the opening 5 - 10 mins, then deciding to run in to contest the next ruck contest (a full kick away) but the umps ball it up after hes run 30 meters in where we naturally clear that contest and kick it long to where Marshall just was. Not great decision making on that one really.

Just on Rowan:

McInerny remains Rowan kryptonite. Rowan's problem against Oscar (and Gawn) is he becomes completely focussed on his opponent, and half the battle is already lost. I like some of the stuff he did, but he needs to just try to play his own game at stoppage, like he does most weeks.
Similar to what happens with our mids.
Our mids focus on stopping the opposition.
Opposition mids focus on getting the ball.
Result = we chase tail.

And let’s not forget …. after gutting their list voluntarily!!!
💯%
We get the AFL's shameful leftovers to run our club for years for practically zero benefit (the move back to Moorabbin being the only highlight, and not really anything to do with rhe AFL patsies) gaining nothing other than a series of novelty rounds, whilst they get one of theirs into one of the top positions to laud favours from above for creating their own shit storm.
Dirty feckers.

Last edited:
When Ross spoke to the fox crew before the game and they brought up improved forward 50 entries... he said they'd been training it really hard to improve in that area .There had been a focus on leading patterns etc.

That's all great, but I would hope that was the case all year.

Anyone who thinks our coaches improving isn't part of this puzzle are blind.

We as a club need to get much better. Players... coaches... everyone. It's been a shithouse year. We've played shithouse football for large parts of it. If you think getting a few better mids is going to fix everything in a side that often shows appalling skills and has a completely dysfunctional forward line, you're tripping.
Outside of a hot start last year, the club has been poor under Lyon.

16-23 from the last 39 games and playing an awful style of footy. Can't score at all against good teams.

Numerous games this year we have kicked 1-2 games by half time, then we seem to be able to snag 6 or 7 when the game opens up in the second half making it some what respectable.

However, the inabity to score against good teams when they are fresh is pretty damning. Ross and the team have no plan B, and it's been happening for 2 years with the trend unfortunately getting worse, not better. Just a dumb side.

I could be way of the mark, but it feels like to me our coaching is really poor. When the Hawks were crap, u could see what Mitchell was trying to do but the players just couldn't quite execute yet.

I don't see any green shoots at all under Ross. I have NFI what we stand for, or what game plan we even want to execute.

Last edited:
You know what, for a few reasons I haven’t had time to watch nearly as much footy this year, but that might have been a lucky break. I really do admire you Sainters who watch every minute of it year after year after year. You guys go above and beyond loyalty. I get frustrated as a casual fan on the other side of the world who has no former connection to the club. I can’t imagine the mental anguish most have you have experienced supporting this club. No supporters (perhaps with North) deserve some good times more than you.
Don't count your chickens.
You nay be back.
i've been OS in Japan 20+ years and didn't really know much...until the last few. Now I am definitely one foot stuck in the mud at Moorabbin,

16-23 from the last 39 games and playing an awful style of footy. Can't score at all against good teams.

Numerous games this year we have kicked 1-2 games by half time, then we seem to be able to snag 6 or 7 when the game opens up in the second half making it some what respectable.

However, the inabity to score against good teams when they are fresh is pretty damning. Ross and the team have no plan B, and it's been happening for 2 years with the trend unfortunately getting worse, not better. Just a dumb side.

I could be way of the mark, but it feels like to me our coaching is really poor. When the Hawks were crap, u could see what Mitchell was trying to do but the players just couldn't quite execute yet.

I don't see any green shoots at all under Ross. I have NFI what we stand for, or what game plan we even want to execute.
No doubt we got a reality check on Sunday but what we’ve seen in the last 6 or so weeks doesn’t align with what you are saying. The game plan and intent is clear. We just need to continue to assemble the right soldiers. It’s not as grim as you are suggesting.

From his presser it seemed even Fagan was a little surprised and taken aback by how well the Brions played

As has been pointed out they hardly made any skill errors once the they got the ball moving forward ... great decision making with precise skills gave us zero chance

They looked every bit a Premiership side

We scored against BL the previous time and against the swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 AFL Season: Rnd 21 Saints v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back