AFLW 2024 AFLW season - Geelong & the greater league...

Remove this Banner Ad

These commentators really do not give us much at all - perhaps deserved on our form this season but not always. They always play up the other teams and Chyloe Kurdas, in particular, seems to despise us every time I hear her talk about our team

Gah, how frustrating.

I actually thought that 2nd half was as good as we've played all season.

As you said last week cats_09 - sign Aishling Moloney up to a looooong contract on as much $$$ as we can give her; she is a special talent.

Hard to swallow the loss, but there were things I didn't mind today; Smith and Thorne both need to do more, but they are strong girls with tidy skills. Webster, Morrison, good as always.

Surman was ok, put her head over the ball.

Gotta re-set the focus now and see what we can get out of the season; I had really high hopes but it just hasn't happened.

Might be time to experiment a bit, mix it up.

Add those to the fact when we dominate periods we can't put it on the scoreboard due to the above and poor accuracy

15 minutes in the first half which really hurt us - we controlled the first quarter after Surman kicked the opening goal but couldn't put another score on the board

And we had all the momentum early in the second but again couldn't capitalise

Another 3 or 4 goals in that period and we may well have seen a different result - 9.5 would hold any team in much better position than the 5.9 we kicked

These commentators really do not give us much at all - perhaps deserved on our form this season but not always. They always play up the other teams and Chyloe Kurdas, in particular, seems to despise us every time I hear her talk about our team

To be fair to the commentators, they don't even know the names of the vast majority of our players - that probably makes its a pretty hard thing to then give us praise when you don't know who you're actually praising 😂

In fairness, we are kind of getting what we deserve. They try hard and system is pretty good but consistently let themselves down with skill errors, fumbling and poor or delayed decision making. Most other teams are doing these things better than us this season

That's absolutely fair.

I thought we sharpened up quite a bit in that 2nd half today; couldn't get it done of course, but we linked up a lot better (apart from 2 terrible Croc kicks).

We have indeed gotten what we've deserved. The girls can definitely produce better; we saw that last year.

And there have been some improvers; Zali Friswell has taken a decent step forward this season, as has Gabbi Featherston.

So: disappointment, no doubt at all. But there are still the core of a good team here imo.

To be fair to the commentators, they don't even know the names of the vast majority of our players - that probably makes its a pretty hard thing to then give us praise when you don't know who you're actually praising 😂
If they want to be taken seriously, they have a fair few things to look at - coverage and umpiring have to improve, skill is improving and standard is really improving across competition, actually exposed us a bit lacking this season, but the commentating, in terms of professionalism, makes BT sound knowledgeable

And there have been some improvers; Zali Friswell has taken a decent step forward this season, as has Gabbi Featherston.

Can add Rachel Kearns to that list.

That's absolutely fair.

I thought we sharpened up quite a bit in that 2nd half today; couldn't get it done of course, but we linked up a lot better (apart from 2 terrible Croc kicks).

We have indeed gotten what we've deserved. The girls can definitely produce better; we saw that last year.

So: disappointment, no doubt at all. But there are still the core of a good team here imo.
Totally, and Lingy realises she could be the best player out there soon. Plus we missed having Amac, Prez and Scheer for all or part of the season. Thought Parry improved her contested game and engine a bit as well this season. Need to look at ruck as well and decide on whether Gunjaca and MegMac are in the same backline and how we best manage that. Few things to work on, but love the character and think coach has been solid in system and has trust of the players

Gah, how frustrating.

I actually thought that 2nd half was as good as we've played all season.

As you said last week cats_09 - sign Aishling Moloney up to a looooong contract on as much $$$ as we can give her; she is a special talent.

Hard to swallow the loss, but there were things I didn't mind today; Smith and Thorne both need to do more, but they are strong girls with tidy skills. Webster, Morrison, good as always.

Surman was ok, put her head over the ball.

Gotta re-set the focus now and see what we can get out of the season; I had really high hopes but it just hasn't happened.

Might be time to experiment a bit, mix it up.

I want to see Abbey McDonald play our last 3 matches

She had a really solid VFLW season:
  • she was equal 3rd in the (league) VFLW B&F after 7 rounds, even though she'd only played 4 games
  • she was in equal 4th after 9 rounds having now played 6 games and then played only 1 further match

Then when we look at our own B&F she finished 4th playing only the 7 games:

Geelong VFLW Best and Fairest Top 10

1. Lily Jordan – 57 votes
2. Breanna Pratt – 48 votes
3. Poppy Schaap – 47 votes
4. Abbey McDonald – 43 votes
5. Abby Favell – 31 votes
6. Jo Sunderland – 26 votes
7. Molly Walton – 23 Votes
8. Chantal Mason – 20 votes
9. Piper Dunlop – 19 votes
10. Sophie Mahar – 17 votes

Let's throw her into the middle to see what she can do at this level

If they want to be taken seriously, they have a fair few things to look at - coverage and umpiring have to improve, skill is improving and standard is really improving across competition, actually exposed us a bit lacking this season, but the commentating, in terms of professionalism, makes BT sound knowledgeable

The commentary is a joke

Today we had Underwood call Bowen, Moloney in the third quarter

While in the second quarter she called Bella Smith, Gunjaca

Against Carlton she was trying to name our various players because we had a few double ups that day:
"Geelong has Amy McDonald and Abbey McDonald, and then there's.... Moloney"; she couldn't think of Meg McDonald so just changed train of thought

Then there was, "the Irish woman"

It's an absolute joke

I'm all for diversity in the commentary team, but they've got to at least get the basics right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally, and Lingy realises she could be the best player out there soon. Plus we missed having Amac, Prez and Scheer for all or part of the season. Thought Parry improved her contested game and engine a bit as well this season. Need to look at ruck as well and decide on whether Gunjaca and MegMac are in the same backline and how we best manage that. Few things to work on, but love the character and think coach has been solid in system and has trust of the players

Love what Parry provides, great foil to Aishling.

I want to see Abbey McDonald play our last 3 matches

She had a really solid VFLW season:
  • she was equal 3rd in the (league) VFLW B&F after 7 rounds, even though she'd only played 4 games
  • she was in equal 4th after 9 rounds having now played 6 games and then played only 1 further match

Then when we look at our own B&F she finished 4th playing only the 7 games:

Geelong VFLW Best and Fairest Top 10

Lily Jordan – 57 votes
2. Breanna Pratt – 48 votes
3. Poppy Schaap – 47 votes
4. Abbey McDonald – 43 votes
5. Abby Favell – 31 votes
6. Jo Sunderland – 26 votes
7. Molly Walton – 23 Votes
8. Chantal Mason – 20 votes
9. Piper Dunlop – 19 votes
10. Sophie Mahar – 17 votes

Let's throw her into the middle to see what she can do at this level

She hasn't had much of a run has she - logical that she should get a gig with Kearns out.

She's been on our list, what, at least two seasons and I still feel like a barely know what she can produce. She hasn't done anything wrong when given a run though, just been largely anonymous (which isn't the worst thing for a small defender).

Two small things I noticed about her last time she played; she's a better (= longer) kick than I suspected, and she looks to have toned up quite a bit from last season.

Still shaking my head at that "dangerous tackle" free kick.

Probably in the top 3 worst free kicks I've seen in my life. The other two were in a reserves game against Fitzroy when there was a pack who dived on a ball, and we had a free kick paid against us for holding the ball, but when the pack dispersed, the last two players to get up were both Fitzroy players, one of who had the ball. The other was also against Richmond when Ablett led for the ball from the goal square, and his opponent slipped over 2-3m behind him and got given a free kick for a push in the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW 2024 AFLW season - Geelong & the greater league...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back