Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw this before the count and didn't think much of it at the time:

But then this happened in rd2 and I went straight to the kitchen to put my tinfoil hat on.

BontBrownlowWhat.jpg

Bont got the full 10 coaches votes while Sanders got 0....

The crazy thing is that game wasn't even close to the worst. Daicos got votes for a game he was subbed off with only 15 disposals....

Cripps got votes in a game he had only 19 touches at 45% efficiency....

Daicos got 2 votes in a loss to the Swans with just 25 touches whilst Chad Warner got 0 votes on the winning team with 33 touches, 2 goals, 8 clearances and 8 score involvements(Nick had just 3)....
Daicos also had more than double Chad's clangers, 9 vs 4.

Ever since the AFL banned umps from looking at stats before they vote the count has become an absolute farce.

Last edited:
The Brownlow is a joke and in no way am I say Cripps didn’t deserve to win but we are at a point where Cripps gets votes for his average games and he’s not a Judd or Ablett who’s average games were as good as most normal players best games.

Umpires way too often go oh Carlton lost it was close who do we throw in for a vote Cripps. They used to do the same with other big name players from big clubs.

I’ve been one that thinks leave the Brownlow as it is but it’s no longer good enough for the umpires to do the voting.

I think the fact we have an umpire who does radio betting segments (yes horse racing not footy) shows they we are happy to have umpires with questionable integrity. You can’t be a mad punter and invested in gambling and be impartial when you can literally impact a result.

The coverage on TV ‘jumped the shark’ many years back and make it unwatchable. Matt Priddis, Ollie Wines, Neale last season and now this means the award has become a joke and has also ‘jumped the shark’.
Coaches Award, MVP, All Australian, even club B&F’s are more relevant.
Also public voting for Mark and Goal of the Year is also a joke.
Luckily for me I watched a great movie and went to bed earlier.

Bont got the full 10 coaches votes while Sanders got 0....

The crazy thing is that game wasn't even close to the worst. Daicos got votes for a game he was subbed off with only 15 disposals....

Cripps got votes in a game he had only 19 touches at 45% efficiency....

This years winner was decided before the season started. Bont like many other players were never in it

Haven’t watched a second of the rubbish in a few years now. It’s awful viewing. Difference now is that it also sounds like the integrity of the actual award is slipping further into the toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The AFL decides the winner, Dillon's wife confirmed it and last night's result proved it.

Also, just to add to the utter garbage of the night we had an unintelligible count, Hamish Nepobrother made it completely unwatchable as usual, a morose musical performance, Angus Brayshaw's speech which is still going I think, Maddern's dumb Las Vegas comment, it was a train wreck.

Late news...the count has been over for eight hours but Cripps has just got another three votes and I hear he's already got the three for Round 1 2025.

Last edited:
The coverage on TV ‘jumped the shark’ many years back and make it unwatchable. Matt Priddis, Ollie Wines, Neale last season and now this means the award has become a joke and has also ‘jumped the shark’.
Coaches Award, MVP, All Australian, even club B&F’s are more relevant.
Also public voting for Mark and Goal of the Year is also a joke.
Luckily for me I watched a great movie and went to bed earlier.
Yeah Collingwood one goal of the year last year, and hey two Collingwood goals nominated this year 😆

The AFL decides the winner, Dillon's wife confirmed it and last night's result proved it.

Also, just to add to the utter garbage of the night we had an unintelligible count, Hamish Nepobrother make it completely unwatchable as usual, a morose musical performance, Angus Brayshaw's speech which is still going I think, Maddern's dumb Las Vegas comment, it was a train wreck.

Late news...the count has been over for eight hours but Cripps has just got another three votes and I hear he's already got the three for Round 1 2025.
Agree with you on Hamish. As shallow as ever. What did 7 and the AFL think they would get with him. Disagree with you on Brayshaw. Thought that was the most meaningful speeches I have heard. Gave some importance to the occasion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with you on Hamish. As shallow as ever. What did 7 and the AFL think they would get with him. Disagree with you on Brayshaw. Thought that was the most meaningful speeches I have heard. Gave some importance to the occasion.

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious about Brayshaw. Good speech, just the wrong forum I thought, but then again, the coverage was a total mish mash so why not?

I was dying when before rounds 8 and 9 when Bec Madden had a 30 second monologue about Daicos having started slow so far but we all expect he’ll poll here, basically cheering him on. They cut to Daicos and even he was embarrassed.

At least it’s the consensus now that the award and the ceremony have become a joke.

I hope they get absolutely punished on viewership in the next few years and change the whole thing.

No one wants lame segments with kids interviewing players, meaningless audience voted awards and inane “banter” in player interviews.

I was dying when before rounds 8 and 9 when Bec Madden had a 30 second monologue about Daicos having started slow so far but we all expect he’ll poll here, basically cheering him on. They cut to Daicos and even he was embarrassed.

Every year it just gets more and more elaborate, more meaningless guff, more nonsense, more gushing, more unnecessary, over produced garbage. A genuine case of too many cooks. YouTube has clips of entire counts from the 80s and 90s and it's simple, basic, no frills, but it works and it has Peter Landy or Bruce.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back