Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

38 votes.. phenomenonal

2nd most votes in Brownlow history
Just a shame some prick polled 45

That will.never be beaten
What was a midfielders award is quickly becoming a star midfielders award.

Before 2009 only 5 players had won with more than 30 votes. Of the 16 players to win from 2009 onwards 10 have polled more than 30.

Swan set a new record with 34 in 2011, Dangerfield raised it one in 2017, Martin one further in 2018, Neale got 31 from 17 games in the covid shortened 2020 (equivalent to 40 in a full season), Wines matched Martin in 2021.

45 votes will take some beating, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone top it within the next decade.

Edit: remarkable that Herbie Matthews and Des Fothergill tied in 1940 setting the record at 32, which wasn’t equaled until Harvey in 1998 and surpassed by Swan.

Last edited:

After a 0-3 start and overall, a poor year by the club, Nick still polled 38 votes. Wrap your minds around that.
He’ll be a chance to win a Brownlow every year.
Well done to Nick.

Uh…what?

Cripps gets votes for literally being present in the stadium lol

He’ll win the Brownlow every year until he retires

Nick 38 votes, rest of the club, 30 votes.

Fun fact: Nick Daicos in only his 3rd year has already polled 77 career Brownlow votes.

That currently puts him in the #12 position on the Collingwood Brownlow count tally.

Which is between the great Bobby Rose at #11 (after 10 seasons), and Peter Moore (who won one at Collingwood) at #14 (after 9 seasons at CFC)

Why Hamish trying to do stand up, he wouldn’t be able to make me laugh with a feather.

The line about the towel now hanging over his shoulder was pretty quick off the mark though..

Cripps is my favorite non Collingwood player and seems like a really humble guy. I had him as the winner and Nick as the runners up.

I thought Nick would fall short by about 1 to 2 votes, but 7 is out of control. Makes him being runners up more palatable. Nick also scoring 38 was unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The line about the towel now hanging over his shoulder was pretty quick off the mark though..

Cripps is my favorite non Collingwood player and seems like a really humble guy. I had him as the winner and Nick as the runners up.

I thought Nick would fall short by about 1 to 2 votes, but 7 is out of control. Makes him being runners up more palatable. Nick also scoring 38 was unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find it funny that Nick played considerably better last year, but obviously missed a few at the end. Obviously the team as a whole played considerably better as well.

Had an unbelievable year last year and didn’t win

Broke the vote record this year and didn’t win

He’ll easily be the greatest player of all time to never win a Brownlow Medal

Pendles probably is right now.

Btw no way Butters had a 29 vote season. Thought he was ordinary.
This is the far bigger travesty than Cripps’ tally IMO.

Vote counts are too liberal but honestly I think it’s also a reflection of talent being spread thinner than ever with eighteen teams and the fact that there seems to be a more significant gulf than ever between the game’s superstars and their role players. The concentration of votes is more a reflection of that - hardly any players polling in the lower end 1-7 range whereas it feels like in prior years there’s been a lot more depth there, and therefore spread of votes.

Well done to Cripps and also Nick irrespective, clearly 1 and 2 this year.

Had an unbelievable year last year and didn’t win

Broke the vote record this year and didn’t win

Pendles probably is right now.
Pendles ahead of Matthews?

I find it funny that Nick played considerably better last year, but obviously missed a few at the end. Obviously the team as a whole played considerably better as well.
Considerably better?
No.
Nick had a phenomenal 2024.
He is some sort of player.

Sorry, don’t mean to be rude but..
Why do you post this crap?
It’s his 3rd season, another 10th or so to go!

I personally think it's ludicrous to suggest both Cripps and Daicos enjoyed better individual seasons than Dusty did in 2017. Both well deserving of top two this year but I'm shocked that they outpolled Dusty's 2017 quite comprehensively.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well, I guess each season is different?

I agree, some of it is a mystery. But the umpires have their reasons - things we don’t see.
The umpires should watch a replay and see the stats before they vote. They can do it as part of their review.

Now that there are four umpires, they clearly don't get to see every part of the game.

It is ridiculous to expect them to get it right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back