2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching Cripps drag the scum back into the game on Sunday I'm back onboard the Smilie train. I reckon he'd compliment what we already have & give us an intimidating inside duo with Scud in a few seasons time.

It looks like he's rebounded from a disappointing champs in a positive way so far. How he can perform during the finals will obviously go a long way to decide whether is drifts to us or goes early doors.

From what I've seen his kicking is pretty solid, especially when kicking at goal... the mechanics of his kicking look smooth... like most kids its probably a mix of decision making and the talent of who he's kicking it to.

Would be pretty exciting to see what Smilie could develop into with Lenny & DC guiding him IMO.
Near zero chance we get him, but if you’re looking for a similar (NOT same) type of player, then Lalor or Langford are your go-to.

Wouldn't be surprised if Richmond have a crack at pick 2 so they can keep FOS & Jagga together.
They'll most likely have GC's 1st pick (6) that they can flick to Norf with another later 1st. Norf get Trainor or Armstrong & someone else of value & the Tigers get the two Chargers lads ala Rowell & Anderson.
Adelaide might try to split #3 so they can get Lukosius & keep a later 1st (maybe Freo?)
You'd think Melbourne will be shopping for high end mids now so Smilie, Langford or Lalor will be on their list.
It's gonna be the massive trade period with all the quality names seeking new homes... which I hope we sit out of for the most part & hit the draft as hard as possible.

There is no doubt Richmond are going to be huge players there are so many possibilities its ridulous. Hopefully SOS and Gubby are in front of the curb and can work something in our favour. Like others I have previously had trouble trusting them, but I now get the sense they have big things cooking and are going to set our list up really well.

Last edited:
Reid does remind me a bit of sheezel. Good comparison

He’s got a really pretty style. He steps around players and meets the ball on the move, often picking up off a half volley. Good vision, good distribution clever reading of the play and helping push the player he delivers to into the right spot to keep the ball moving. Sheezel is probably a bit more clean over all but they both seem to play a quite upright game. The ball seems to meet them, they don’t have to scrap for it.

Remember last time we didn’t take a key defender because we wanted a mid. We missed naughton
I’m not sure most people thought he had forward capability and that kicking would have held him back. But I always find he has a reputation of Carey and plays like a pretty mid-rated forward outside a couple of matches per year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even Trout would've matched bids on Heeney Gulden and Blakey

Toce gets credit for Owens and Windhager but not Dalrymple the double standards.

He is a very good recruiter, probably got a bit too cute with the Dylan Stephens pick 5 but no one is perfect.

Remediated it the same draft only 34 picks later.

How do you see our NGA prospect Cole?

Twomey seems to rate him.

Looks a bit meh to me but perhaps he’s going at half pace knowing he’s got a spot. I find defenders that play stopping roles are the hardest to just in the draft year.

Stay the course mate - midfielders!!!

Just think that’s a lazy catch all. We probably need an elite player for the midfield but don’t ignore other needs. Phillipou comes on and a fit current midfield and we look a different side. A lot will be pushed out to depth. Train or looks a gun and we need to replace Battle. I think he is a potential gun forward too.

Toce gets credit for Owens and Windhager but not Dalrymple the double standards.

He is a very good recruiter, probably got a bit too cute with the Dylan Stephens pick 5 but no one is perfect.

Remediated it the same draft only 34 picks later.

Where are all these people claiming them for Toce?

Wouldn't be surprised if Richmond have a crack at pick 2 so they can keep FOS & Jagga together.

They'll most likely have GC's 1st pick (6) that they can flick to Norf with another later 1st. Norf get Trainor or Armstrong & someone else of value & the Tigers get the two Chargers lads ala Rowell & Anderson.

Adelaide might try to split #3 so they can get Lukosius & keep a later 1st (maybe Freo?)

You'd think Melbourne will be shopping for high end mids now so Smilie, Langford or Lalor will be on their list.

It's gonna be the massive trade period with all the quality names seeking new homes... which I hope we sit out of for the most part & hit the draft as hard as possible.
Richmond are going to be interesting. They will have a vast array of picks this year but may not want to be using them all in one draft. Might be an opportunity to trade next years into this years.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back