2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps Tim Membrey's 5 goals on the weekend can garner outside interest? I don't think that we will be counting on that output anymore.

But just wondering. I know it is too late and all...but how much has the loss of Jade Gresham hurt us this year, with Crouch down and Ross in the seconds, Hunter far from being a dominant, Windy down etc.

I know many fans thought Gresh as a forward, then as a mid, then as forward, then mid and finally as a forward again..so it is confusing. In the end, I sense a mild disappointment at Essendon, but not altogether a dud either.
Has Gresh even ventured into the centre at Ess or sitting permanently in the forward.

Is Membrey a chance to stay on at StKilda if his form holds up.
A chance but I'd say unlikely. His form should just be a determinant for how much we could potentially get in return for him - ideally a late third or something if a club like Collingwood or Melbourne are willing to pay him. I get the feeling both parties would be happy for him to chase success at another club bc he probably won't get that with us

I've seen enough from Allison to give him another year. He's been super cheap and will be to retain obviously. Whats the harm in seeing if he produce a full season of games like he has the last 2 weeks? He's probably another 2 quality games in a row away from breaking into the seasons this year.

U18 Clubs are affiliated with VFL clubs. Teams don't just get to choose an u18 player they like and play them in their VFL side.
Pardon the intrusion but this is correct. Jagga was allocated to us to train over summer. We aren't secretly trialling him but he definitely did his chances no harm. Think Smillie would play with Box Hill.

Last 2 weeks I have seen Tim really commit his body at a couple of contests. Swans last qtr threw him self sideways to block an exit.

Have not seen that level of desperation in some time from him.

If he plays like that he is a keeper, if not then Melbourne for a 3rd rounder if we are lucky.

Alison has had long enough.

Gresham at Essendon is well Gresham at Saints...does some really flashy things but lacks general consistency...much happier that we have Henry.

We have to sadly move on at least 5 players, so
Alison.... had his chance
Hayes .....injuries
Campbell.....age and got to let Moose have a proper run.
Jones or Ross can't keep both
Battle.....Free Agency
Patton next on the block if an upgrade comes along. Prefer to see
Bonner delisted ahead of Paton and prefer a young draftee as we know what he brings to the table, but unlikely to happen

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've seen enough from Allison to give him another year. He's been super cheap and will be to retain obviously. Whats the harm in seeing if he produce a full season of games like he has the last 2 weeks? He's probably another 2 quality games in a row away from breaking into the seasons this year.

The harm is who are you going to de-list instead. If we were allowed to have a 50 man list, fine.
He's 4 years in.
He was taken in the draft after Cooper Sharman's and has been on our list longer than Sharman. ( Sharman a year older ).
Then there is Caminiti who is still only 20. Sharman behind both of them by a fair margin.

We have to sadly move on at least 5 players, so
Alison.... had his chance
Hayes .....injuries
Campbell.....age and got to let Moose have a proper run.
Jones or Ross can't keep both
Battle.....Free Agency
Patton next on the block if an upgrade comes along. Prefer to see
Bonner delisted ahead of Paton and prefer a young draftee as we know what he brings to the table, but unlikely to happen

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
was thinking about this yesterday,but had membrey on list instead of bonner and both jones and ross

also had 5 question marks
collard
crouch
van es
hotton
mclennan

but seems mclennan set to stay now

The harm is who are you going to de-list instead. If we were allowed to have a 50 man list, fine.
He's 4 years in.
He was taken in the draft after Cooper Sharman's and has been on our list longer than Sharman. ( Sharman a year older ).
Then there is Caminiti who is still only 20. Sharman behind both of them by a fair margin.
Am i just having a blonde moment as this is not making any sense to me

Forward at Essendon
Here’s a Reddit about him at Essendon vs him at St Kilda

That was from a couple of months ago. Without having the ranking points in front of me my sense is that Gresh has dropped off a bit in recent weeks.

Either way though, we needed a Gresham type in the forward line, regardless of his fluctuations in form he's filling what was a gaping hole last year.

Forward at Essendon
Here’s a Reddit about him at Essendon vs him at St Kilda

Check again

With a player rating of 8.84, Jade Gresham is ranked 243rd in the competition in 2024 by this statistic

Worse than Paddy Dow (9.00), marginally better than Seb Ross (8.70)

I think Jones will stay- get him in good shape and he has the legs to run and carry, has a mature body and can deliver the ball by foot pretty well. Sadly I reckon Paton may go- I thought he was a good medium size marking defender until Roughhead broke his leg in training, has not quite got back to that old form, and Ross may not be in Lyon's long term plans. Hayes probably goes, and Crouch might have to give it away. Other than that, who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jones will stay- get him in good shape and he has the legs to run and carry, has a mature body and can deliver the ball by foot pretty well. Sadly I reckon Paton may go- I thought he was a good medium size marking defender until Roughhead broke his leg in training, has not quite got back to that old form, and Ross may not be in Lyon's long term plans. Hayes probably goes, and Crouch might have to give it away. Other than that, who knows.
Yeah, nah.

I think Van Es probably gets moved to the rookie list for 12 months. He was a highly rated kid who’s struggled mostly with complications from one injury, not a series of different ones. Worth persisting with at VFL level for another year given his physical profile and attributes

He's 4 years in.
1. Campbell (PT role/assistant coach or something to keep him around though) Happy to have him in the soft cap just need to open his spot up.
2. Hayes - Too injured
3. McClennan or O'Connell, both of the same type so far back is excessive - pick one.
4. Ross - We don't want to use him when there is no one else and he is so checked out. Time to move past him.

We may lose Battle, which would be the 5th spot open.
Paton, Membrey, Jones I expect to receive a 1 year extension as senior depth.
Hall has 1 year left i think

Enough room for him to get another year

1. Campbell (PT role/assistant coach or something to keep him around though) Happy to have him in the soft cap just need to open his spot up.
2. Hayes - Too injured
3. McClennan or O'Connell, both of the same type so far back is excessive - pick one.
4. Ross - We don't want to use him when there is no one else and he is so checked out. Time to move past him.

We may lose Battle, which would be the 5th spot open.
Paton, Membrey, Jones I expect to receive a 1 year extension as senior depth.
Hall has 1 year left i think

Enough room for him to get another year
Nup, neither of McLennan nor O'Connell will go. McLennan has shown massive improvement this year and has been emergency for first time past fortnight, no way that would be the case if he wasn't rated by the coaches. We always knew Irish would be a project player, why would we have recruited him in the first place if we weren't going to give him at least a couple of years to develop?

Agree, TC Hayes Ross all 100% gone. Plus Allison

Paton should be gone for a late pick, he's the one that goes ahead of Gus and Irish. Really hope Bonner goes too but I doubt it since he's Ross' pet

Jones is probably a wait and see after trade period. Membrey likely to go too imo, but depends on how Keeler develops for rest of 2024. Hall stays one more, form was picking up before his injury

Out: TC, Hayes, Ross, Allison, Jones, Paton (trade), Membrey (UFA), Battle (UFA) for mine

Nup, neither of McLennan nor O'Connell will go. McLennan has shown massive improvement this year and has been emergency for first time past fortnight, no way that would be the case if he wasn't rated by the coaches. We always knew Irish would be a project player, why would we have recruited him in the first place if we weren't going to give him at least a couple of years to develop?

Paton should be gone for a late pick, he's the one that goes ahead of Gus and Irish. Really hope Bonner goes too but I doubt it since he's Ross' pet

Jones is probably a wait and see after trade period. Membrey likely to go too imo, but depends on how Keeler develops for rest of 2024. Hall stays one more, form was picking up before his injury

Out: TC, Hayes, Ross, Allison, Jones, Paton (trade), Membrey (UFA), Battle (UFA) for mine
Hall has an 18 months contract.

How long are you willing to stick with O'Connell I wonder? Just when he looks like he could break into the side in his 4th year?

Opportunity cost. Need to clear players that are not generally in the best in the scoobs.

That was from a couple of months ago. Without having the ranking points in front of me my sense is that Gresh has dropped off a bit in recent weeks.

Either way though, we needed a Gresham type in the forward line, regardless of his fluctuations in form he's filling what was a gaping hole last year.
Agreed.
Better than Butler and probably as good as Higgo.
But as attractive as neither from a fan POV IMO.

No club has told him to back off.

He is a kid in a very even draft pool. They are all going through highs and lows. It’s the flipside to most drafts as there isn’t a clear cut #1 or even #2
What’s your gut feel at this point for the top 5 or so picks? (Not holding you to this)

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back