2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't write FOS off yet. Its difficult missing so much time. These kids don't get access to full time professional facilities and rehab coaching. FOS is still finishing school. Its difficult... he's way short of match fitness right now.

Certainly haven't lost faith but lost a bit of gloss. I saw him a bit like Wardlaw in that he had the injury but you could tell he had something special. Now he's back and not dominating he's less certain.

This year is deep and even. I'd hate to be picking. It feels like a few high picks could bust and a few in that pick 15 to 20 group could end up some of the cream. I usually have a standout favourite player but none are feeling like guaranteed stars.
Be interesting how many Towmey gets in order in the top ten this year. So even. And you are dead set correct 15 to 20 mark, even sliders well into the 2nd round.

Wonder how adventurous the high end clubs will be?

I made a highlights package of Drapers champs today. He or any of these guys could slip to the Sainters pick:

I think you guys are in a great spot.

Cheers, good highlights.

He looks fantastic with the boring bits taken out. His burst speed looks stand out.

Be interesting how many Towmey gets in order in the top ten this year. So even. And you are dead set correct 15 to 20 mark, even sliders well into the 2nd round.

Wonder how adventurous the high end clubs will be?

Pretty sure he asks the list managers to get intel on where they go more than guesses but it feels like a draft that different people could see the order very differently. PM Bangers went pretty controversial.

I made a highlights package of Drapers champs today. He or any of these guys could slip to the Sainters pick:

Wow good stuff. Have been positing thoughts on dealing with Adelaide on Draper, after that highlight package, I think we should take him if at pick 4, looks strong through the hips like a favourite son Harvey, and reminds a bit of Horne-Francis.
First time I have have seen anything of Draper.

You are correct. if we get pick 5 for Battle, I would be more than happy with any two of Draper, Smith, Smillie, Langford, FOS, even a Lindsay or Reid (both reaches).

Wow good stuff. Have been positing thoughts on dealing with Adelaide on Draper, after that highlight package, I think we should take him if at pick 4, looks strong through the hips like a favourite son Harvey, and reminds a bit of Horne-Francis.
First time I have have seen anything of Draper.

You are correct. if we get pick 5 for Battle, I would be more than happy with any two of Draper, Smith, Smillie, Langford, FOS, even a Lindsay or Reid (both reaches).
Yep the JHF comparison is what I see too - breaks the game open with his legs and his ability to completely burn an opponent if they have even a momentary lapse in concentration is game-changing

Only issue is that sometimes he seems to be going too fast for his own good and misses targets, but should be a relatively easy fix with AFL-level coaching staff. Also lacks a bit of size - wish he was a few cms taller to 185cm+

I've seen Draper linked to #1 in a few places since last year but never on BigFooty, I think he's a beauty.

I'm still big on FOS though, doesn't look like he played on the weekend so he's clearly not right yet. If he gets to us it will be a miracle.

Either way, there are probably 7 players who I'd be happy drafting. We are guaranteed one (maybe two) of them with our draft position- impossible not to be happy with that!

No mention of Lalor? think he looks decent, can take a grab too
Lalor is who I want at 5. He’s the one who can genuinely become a Dusty/Trac who on GF day will win us the premiership. Has been hampered by injury throughout this year but when fit, he’s gonna go on a tear and change everyone’s mind

In saying that, I’d be happy with 2 of any of FOS Jagga Draper Lalor Langford. If we pick anyone outside that group I’ll be annoyed

No mention of Lalor? think he looks decent, can take a grab too

Draper looks amazing.

Langford looks amazing.

I understand this is a very even draft, but if we ended up with those 2 lads then I’d be very happy.
And isn't this the issue? Lalor looked like a fit mid version of Stringer in the champs game, and Langford and Draper both look like strong midfielders

Also with Smillie, Smith, FOS, Lindsay, etc and us with potentially 4 & 5 we have the opportunity of launching. Would need to do a lot wrong to f**k this up. My only worry is that this is a once in a decade opportunity and if we go safe and do a Billings and the next one is Bont, don't know if I can cope with that again. Only time will tell I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last 2 weeks I have seen Tim really commit his body at a couple of contests. Swans last qtr threw him self sideways to block an exit.

Have not seen that level of desperation in some time from him.

If he plays like that he is a keeper, if not then Melbourne for a 3rd rounder if we are lucky.

Alison has had long enough.

Gresham at Essendon is well Gresham at Saints...does some really flashy things but lacks general consistency...much happier that we have Henry.

We have to sadly move on at least 5 players, so
Alison.... had his chance
Hayes .....injuries
Campbell.....age and got to let Moose have a proper run.
Jones or Ross can't keep both
Battle.....Free Agency
Patton next on the block if an upgrade comes along. Prefer to see
Bonner delisted ahead of Paton and prefer a young draftee as we know what he brings to the table, but unlikely to happen

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Crouch will retire

And isn't this the issue? Lalor looked like a fit mid version of Stringer in the champs game, and Langford and Draper both look like strong midfielders

Also with Smillie, Smith, FOS, Lindsay, etc and us with potentially 4 & 5 we have the opportunity of launching. Would need to do a lot wrong to f**k this up. My only worry is that this is a once in a decade opportunity and if we go safe and do a Billings and the next one is Bont, don't know if I can cope with that again. Only time will tell I suppose.
Exactly why I love the Lalor pick. He’s the one that doesn’t seem as good as the top few guys but he has the attributes to become a top 5 player in the AFL - Petracca levels

I've seen enough from Allison to give him another year. He's been super cheap and will be to retain obviously. Whats the harm in seeing if he produce a full season of games like he has the last 2 weeks? He's probably another 2 quality games in a row away from breaking into the seasons this year.

The harm is he takes up a list spot that could be the next Sincs or Marshall. We need to keep chrning through our list to find quality players.

He has had long enough to show if he can make it or not. Unfortunately he remains an athlete, rather becoming a footballer.

We have Sharman, Caminiti and Keeler.

This is also why we need to move on from Campbell. Great Clubman, but he is never going to be a first 22 player. There have been some good young rucks like Meek grabbed by other clubs who have a future. We need to stop clogging up as many spots as we do.

What are you talking about? O'Connell Drafted: 2024 Category B Rookie
Was an attempt at a parable illustrating the counter-productive thinking of perpetuating the cycle of allowing a project player enough time to nearly make it (Allison), then cut him just so there's enough room on the list for the next project player (O'Connell in this scenario but could be anyone).

Was an attempt at a parable illustrating the counter-productive thinking of perpetuating the cycle of allowing a project player enough time to nearly make it (Allison), then cut him just so there's enough room on the list for the next project player (O'Connell in this scenario but could be anyone).

q16h9MB.gif

I tend not to worry about the kids before the draft, but a dynamic burst from stoppage mid has to be our #1 pick, form the few highlights Ive seen Draper and Smith look perfect

That clip at the 2min30sec mark is what makes him in my opinion the best midfielder in this years draft, ball on the line against contest bull Smillie and comes out on top with toughness speed and skill resulting in a goal. It was my ‘wow’ moment. I hope we land him

That clip at the 2min30sec mark is what makes him in my opinion the best midfielder in this years draft, ball on the line against contest bull Smillie and comes out on top with toughness speed and skill resulting in a goal. It was my ‘wow’ moment. I hope we land him
He is a perfect fit for the Crows' one-paced midfield, can imagine they are all over him - but also talk they are looking to trade out their first rounder, so who knows. Interesting watch depending on where we finish relative to them.

I still don't see us finishing behind Adelaide, they have a really tough run home. Picks 5 & 6 would mean we take whatever is left in the top pool and maybe don't have to think about it too hard.

I still don't see us finishing behind Adelaide, they have a really tough run home. Picks 5 & 6 would mean we take whatever is left in the top pool and maybe don't have to think about it too hard.
Did you see their game against Essendon? Ladder position belies their talent, and with Crouch/Walker back this week and Rankine/Dawson next week, I can see them being ultra competitive in all games.

Like what noobermensch has bought to this discussion, and challenged the pro-Smillie discussion being led by stavro#4

My two cents, and like posts above, I think we are in the perfect sweet spot to get two incredibly good midfielders (assuming top-compo for Battle).

My concerns with Smillie relate to how AFL is currently being played. Less stoppage has been the MO from AFL House and keep the game moving.

This has seen a lot of the bigger body midfielders without pace having lacklustre numbers / impact compared to their normal output. Green, Cripps, Dunkley, Newcombe, Wines. Oliver underdone so not included. Bont has more agility than the above so isn't included either (Unicorn, which Smillie will unlikely become).

On the flip side, you have this new and exciting crop of smaller dynamic mid who have appetite for contest and either pace or agility in their clearance game. Butters, Flanders, Serong, Sheezel, Daicos, Gulden, Warner. Even Treloar or Merrett.

This is your Jagga, FOS, Draper.

I think those 3 would be a priority over Smillie or Langford, but it might be smart to mix a tall with a small at our picks if possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back