2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

If we finish below Crows and Draper was available at our pick with the Crows super keen .... would you take Draper ..... or what would you be requesting from the Crows to give up our pick so they could get him?
I'd take him. Depending on how badly they wanted him, I would want ADE 1st '24 (obviously), and at least ADE 2nd '25.

Similar to Wilson/Leake live trade with GWS last draft.

Draper will be a beauty though.

I made a highlights package of Drapers champs today. He or any of these guys could slip to the Sainters pick:

I think you guys are in a great spot.

ok this is who I want, draper and lalor thanks, or draper and smith.. idk but draper is my fave so far. Points more than goddard at a D50 stoppage, love it

(I know their pointing philosophies are contrasting don't @me)

Did you see their game against Essendon? Ladder position belies their talent, and with Crouch/Walker back this week and Rankine/Dawson next week, I can see them being ultra competitive in all games.

They are in a bit of form at the moment. Their fixture looks a bit tricky but I'd trust them to finish above us now.

ok this is who I want, draper and lalor thanks, or draper and smith.. idk but draper is my fave so far. Points more than goddard at a D50 stoppage, love it

It's only a 3 minute highlight package but his stoppage work, his burst speed, his strength through the hips and disposal accuracy was what impressed.

Can see JHF with Rob Harvey low centre of gravity. Will be very difficult to tackle once he has an AFL body.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Right now we only know that we have one draft pick, and its probably going to be the fourth.
( But i really really want us to knock the Bombers out of the 8 ).

According to Twomey we'll have our choice of Langford, Reid, Smith, Lalor, and Draper. Wish we could have them all.
No Pressure Darymple.

If we did want to trade with Gold Coast for a couple of picks, we would probably still have a choice of a couple of those.
Putting it in the hands of god worked well last year. ( Though our next favoured mid, Windsor might end up the better player, he's coming on well ).
Does anyone think that any of the above mentioned players is likely to be a washout, or turn out very average?

Which are the highest risk choices?

with the evenness and depth of this draft we need to be trying to get another pick in the first round of this years draft. I'd hate to lose Battle, but if he goes for Band 1 compo then we need to look at possibly trading out of next years 1st round to get a third first round pick this year and bank on us being able to rise back up the ladder next year.

Then with a later pick look at getting academy player Adrian Cole as a development KP player.

Try and build on Phillipou, Wilson, NWM, Owens, Windy, Garcia etc with another 2-3 top quality young mids.

If we finish below Crows and Draper was available at our pick with the Crows super keen .... would you take Draper ..... or what would you be requesting from the Crows to give up our pick so they could get him?

Honestly don't know. It's so even that if Jagga was there you probably take him but otherwise rely on the recruiters to pick. There are probably 6 players that we could take at that pick. A lot will depend on how those before us choose to go.

There were suggestions that the Crows would be happy to trade out of their first pick. To me they would be better with a couple of the good KPs that will come later on. Jack Whitlock or Shanahan would replace Tex. They could probably look at a gun KPB too. They probably need some outside run too.

with the evenness and depth of this draft we need to be trying to get another pick in the first round of this years draft. I'd hate to lose Battle, but if he goes for Band 1 compo then we need to look at possibly trading out of next years 1st round to get a third first round pick this year and bank on us being able to rise back up the ladder next year.

Then with a later pick look at getting academy player Adrian Cole as a development KP player.

Try and build on Phillipou, Wilson, NWM, Owens, Windy, Garcia etc with another 2-3 top quality young mids.

Dalrymple has busted a lot of his first and second round picks at Sydney and done better in too 30s and 40s. We should let him get more picks out there.

Like what noobermensch has bought to this discussion, and challenged the pro-Smillie discussion being led by stavro#4

My two cents, and like posts above, I think we are in the perfect sweet spot to get two incredibly good midfielders (assuming top-compo for Battle).

My concerns with Smillie relate to how AFL is currently being played. Less stoppage has been the MO from AFL House and keep the game moving.

This has seen a lot of the bigger body midfielders without pace having lacklustre numbers / impact compared to their normal output. Green, Cripps, Dunkley, Newcombe, Wines. Oliver underdone so not included. Bont has more agility than the above so isn't included either (Unicorn, which Smillie will unlikely become).

On the flip side, you have this new and exciting crop of smaller dynamic mid who have appetite for contest and either pace or agility in their clearance game. Butters, Flanders, Serong, Sheezel, Daicos, Gulden, Warner. Even Treloar or Merrett.

This is your Jagga, FOS, Draper.

I think those 3 would be a priority over Smillie or Langford, but it might be smart to mix a tall with a small at our picks if possible.
Ah, I think you have misunderstood me.

I couldn’t ultimately give a Crap who goes pick 1 and I would not want that pick this year.

I’ve already said that at our pick I’m all in on the Jagga smith bus.

But those saying Smith is a potential pick 1 - completely ignore what the last 25 years of drafting tells us.

Which is that unless they are superstar juniors with elite traits that have them clear of the pack. It’s unlikely a small mid like Jagga goes #1.

He may be the best player when it’s all said and done. I’m not arguing whether he will or won’t.

But I can see why Smillie is touted as the likely pick 1. Even with an average champs.

Right now we only know that we have one draft pick, and its probably going to be the fourth.
( But i really really want us to knock the Bombers out of the 8 ).

According to Twomey we'll have our choice of Langford, Reid, Smith, Lalor, and Draper. Wish we could have them all.
No Pressure Darymple.

If we did want to trade with Gold Coast for a couple of picks, we would probably still have a choice of a couple of those.
Putting it in the hands of god worked well last year. ( Though our next favoured mid, Windsor might end up the better player, he's coming on well ).
Does anyone think that any of the above mentioned players is likely to be a washout, or turn out very average?

Which are the highest risk choices?

Imo the players most likely to become a Hunter Clark or Nick Coffield are Murphy Reid, Harvey Langford and even Jagga Smith altho I'm more confident with him

None of them - except maybe Jagga - have standout attributes that suit the modern game. Draper has burst (Dangerfield), Lalor has genuine power (Petracca), Smillie has size (Cripps), FOS has insane running ability (Walsh) so they have something that can elevate them at AFL level. Jagga has the crazy accumulation and positioning (Tom Mitchell) but clearly the game has gone past Titch as its sped up so that's the only worry with him. I think his agility really helps though so probably not a big issue

Imo the players most likely to become a Hunter Clark or Nick Coffield are Murphy Reid, Harvey Langford and even Jagga Smith altho I'm more confident with him

None of them - except maybe Jagga - have standout attributes that suit the modern game. Draper has burst (Dangerfield), Lalor has genuine power (Petracca), Smillie has size (Cripps), FOS has insane running ability (Walsh) so they have something that can elevate them at AFL level
What!?!

He has shown an ability to go forward. Clunk marks and hit the scoreboard. Whilst dominating midfield with 30 touches.

He has shown he can play both inside and outside types of midfield roles.

I’d say if anything, he seems like a genuine footballer in the Clayton Oliver mould and seems a very safe bet.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What!?!

He has shown an ability to go forward. Clink marks and hit the scoreboard. Whilst dominating midfield with 30 touches.

I’d say if anything, he seems like a genuine footballers in the Clayton Oliver mould and seems a very safe bet.
Yeah I agree. I wrote this comparison for a different board between Langford and Smillie:

It’s a worthy comparison, they’re similar types playing similar roles.

Langford seems more assertive… for want of a better word, more of an “alpha” type. He’s better overhead than Smillie. He’s not as quick as Smillie, but more inclined to tuck the ball under his arm and go for a dash along the wing (more often than not the left wing). He’s played forward more and so his forward craft is more mature and developed than Smillie’s.

Smillie is bigger, quicker, more agile. Moves through traffic better, superior stoppage craft, cleaner and quicker hands in close. Smillie wins a lot more clearances than Langford does straight up. People who’s opinion I respect have questions marks over Langford’s suitability to play midfield at AFL level, where that’s not a question for Smillie.

They’re both similarly penetrating/damaging and creative by foot, and occasionally prone to spray one if they get a bit lazy. Langford a lefty, Smillie a righty if you think that matters, some people believe that lefties have an inherent advantage due to kids getting drilled to defend against righties through repetition which gives lefties a moment of space that righties don’t get.

They’re both mediocre defensively. Langford is probably more naturally physical than Smillie so perhaps he gets a slight edge here, although Smillie is quicker so perhaps will have the ability to close space better once he’s forced to improve defensively at AFL level.

What!?!

He has shown an ability to go forward. Clink marks and hit the scoreboard. Whilst dominating midfield with 30 touches.

I’d say if anything, he seems like a genuine footballers in the Clayton Oliver mould and seems a very safe bet.
Idk I just have doubts on him with the transition to AFL level. He's very well-rounded but doesn't have an attribute that will make him stand out. I think he's safe to become a B-grader mid but what will take him to A-grade level? He's not an elite kick, he's not a huge size, he's not a unique athlete, he's not a contested bull, and he doesn't seem to have that elite footy IQ

I think he can easily become a Mason Wood winger; takes marks the same way Wood does, same sort of ability to run and approx. same size, but can he become a Petracca/Butters/Cripps/Walsh elite-level mid like the others could potential do?

Idk I just have doubts on him with the transition to AFL level. He's very well-rounded but doesn't have an attribute that will make him stand out. I think he's safe to become a B-grader mid but what will take him to A-grade level? He's not an elite kick, he's not a huge size, he's not a unique athlete, he's not a contested bull, and he doesn't seem to have that elite footy IQ

I think he can easily become a Mason Wood winger; takes marks the same way Wood does, same sort of ability to run and approx. same size, but can he become a Petracca/Butters/Cripps/Walsh elite-level mid like the others could potential do?
Are you two talking about Jagga?

I agree with that. To me the "Huge Size" thing is a distraction. Footy smarts first and foremost.

Dalrymple has busted a lot of his first and second round picks at Sydney and done better in too 30s and 40s. We should let him get more picks out there.
I don't think that's how any club should look at drafting, you need to maximise your potential of getting A-grade talent and it is clearly shown that that primarily comes from first round selections.

Exits:
Likely - Allison, Crouch (seems likely retiring), Paton, Hayes (unfortunately just been too injury prone and will be 29 next year)
Possibly - Campbell & Jones or Ross (don't think we can lose both when we still need experienced depth)
Hopefully - Bonner
young players - Hotton or McLennan (not knocking either kid, but more based off what we already have in similar positions and how aggressive we want to be)
Free Agency/Trade - Battle, Clark

We then should be looking at Oliver or possibly Bailey Smith to help our midfield cover and Potentially another bargain Key defender.

that would leave us with 5 picks at the draft. 3 first round picks (2 if we keep Battle) and a few more later picks to find a diamond in the rough.

Last edited:

Yep that’s my two. Speed and power, leadership (god we need that as much as anything), some alpha (god we need that).

Yep that’s my two. Speed and power, leadership (god we need that as much as anything), some alpha (god we need that).
From the admittedly small sample I have seen, Draper looks the best of them.

If we snag Draper, I won't be criticising our next pick as it could be out of 3 or 4

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saw Draper "in the flesh" for the first time on Sunday at Alberton for South Adelaide. The kid certainly has some nice attributes. Pity he won't get the chance to highlight them in the SANFL finals as Horne-Francis did during his time with South.

Regards, Captain Obvious.

So many posters have so many different favourites.

Feel like it’s going to be a fun night posting on here

Especially if we have 2 picks. This thread will be on fire.

It's usually the case around this time of year. Then whispers start coming out, draft 'experts' start talking up someone, bandwagons will form and suddenly we have a more clear cut picture.

Similar thing has already happened with Langford, who was hardly spoken of among the upper echelon prior to Twomeys top 30 - now he's the flavour of the month.

For now, most are just shooting fish in a barrel based on names, random attributes that a few 'experts' have placed on them and highlight reels.

Let's be honest though, apart from perhaps Twomey who no doubt gets mail from recruiters, every other draft 'expert' just has random opinions which if they were worth their grain of salt - they'd be working in clubland already.

What!?!

He has shown an ability to go forward. Clunk marks and hit the scoreboard. Whilst dominating midfield with 30 touches.

I’d say if anything, he seems like a genuine footballer in the Clayton Oliver mould and seems a very safe bet.

Yeah, same. Langford looks as reliable as ****. His only down side is probably a lack of absolute X factor, everything else looks set and forget about him. I reckon he looks like he's adjusted up to every level he's played in and excelled.

To me Langford is the guy you take if you don't want to get too high risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back