2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

If it went exactly like that and we had 4 and 5 we would have the choice of Draper, Smith, and Lalor.

Can live with that.

Have to say Jagga is probably the only one I’d be sad to miss out on. It’s definitely a bit of a plain Jane front end. I like Langford, Travaglia and Reid. Lindsay, Berry and Gross too. I would love to trade down the second pick. Draper is probably the best of what’s left on that list around our picks. I think the order will throw up some surprises though.

Have to say Jagga is probably the only one I’d be sad to miss out on. It’s definitely a bit of a plain Jane front end. I like Langford, Travaglia and Reid. Lindsay, Berry and Gross too. I would love to trade down the second pick. Draper is probably the best of what’s left on that list around our picks. I think the order will throw up some surprises though.
Whomever we dont select from the above scenario (Jagga, Draper or Lalor) is GUARANTEED to be the next Bont

You Know It GIF by MOODMAN

We don't need two top 5 picks in this draft. One is plenty. The quality ain't there IMO to have two bites at it.

If we get another top 5 pick I'd be trading out for next years draft. Even if it pushed out the development. Something I'm not keen but I do feel having two in this draft is a bit wasted.

We don't need two top 5 picks in this draft. One is plenty. The quality ain't there IMO to have two bites at it.

If we get another top 5 pick I'd be trading out for next years draft. Even if it pushed out the development. Something I'm not keen but I do feel having two in this draft is a bit wasted.
Nar. Trade our future and take 3 top 10's. Use the rest on ready players.

Whomever we dont select from the above scenario (Jagga, Draper or Lalor) is GUARANTEED to be the next Bont
Seriously though, Trainor has got that Bontempelli vibe about him. Not that he plays like the Bont, but just that his draft stocks have rocketed late in his junior career.

He just feels like his trajectory has got enormous upside, whereas Jagga ain’t got get any better than what he does now.

EDIT: I meant Langford not Trainor

Last edited:
Adrian Cole gets a mention here by Twomey's next best 10.

Adrian Cole

Tall defender
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
195cm
5/1/06

Cole is a lockdown key defender who was able to shut out key opponents through Vic Metro's title run. Often tall defenders as draftees have attacking mindsets, but Cole's strengths lie in his ability to put forwards to sleep with his tight-checking and one-on-one work. Cole is a member of St Kilda's Next Generation Academy.

red flag... you need an offensive side of your game to make it at the highest level

Good thing there is something called coaching. He has all the attributes to make it.

Agree to a point but surely you would like to see some form of an offensive part to his game at the junior level. Some kids simply arent capable of attacking play, others lack confidence and some have it coached out them in defence which I doubt would be the case for Cole. For a kid playing at 196cm's you would think his intercept marking would be his go to, but it isnt. Harvey Langford 190cms out marked nd out bodied him twice last weekend. Sometimes the best defenders have generally played forward where they have learnt to attack the ball in the air and take the game on.

I watched a couple of games this year when Cole got a run in the ruck. He looks completely lost when he is in there and doesnt naturally find the ball. He will get recruited and time will tell whether he becomes the tall intercepting defender we crave, but I will say generally we have seen more than what Adrian has shown at junior level.

For me the other 3 x kids available Hofmann, Linder and Peckett offer more footballing ability and should be rated higher than Cole. The reason people are wetting themselves over him is because he was mentioned by a couple of media outlets following the champs games. Some might suggest he only got a game at Vic Metro because his club coach was Head Coach of VM.

Last edited:
He was one of the developing players that was starting to show a bit just as we cut him. He was playing good footy in the VFL and deserved more chances. Brad Hill struggled playing wing under Ratts and Richo.

If Ed Phillips was good enough he would've been picked up elsewhere, either straight away or after killing it in the VFL.

On another note, I think we've been conditioned to having that second top 5 or 6 pick. If Battle signs, I think we simply must take the pure mid, Jagga, FOS, Draper... guys like Lalor should only be considered for the second pick. Getting a Stringer type match winner is great but I can't remember the last mid we drafted so high up.

If Ed Phillips was good enough he would've been picked up elsewhere, either straight away or after killing it in the VFL.

On another note, I think we've been conditioned to having that second top 5 or 6 pick. If Battle signs, I think we simply must take the pure mid, Jagga, FOS, Draper... guys like Lalor should only be considered for the second pick. Getting a Stringer type match winner is great but I can't remember the last mid we drafted so high up.

Yeah the draft will almost be anti climax if Battle doesnt leave now. Not that I want him to go, but I can see the benefit for him and the club either way.

I hope that we take whoever the recruiters think is the best player in the draft. If we'd taken Naughton over Coffield or Clark we'd be much closer. We need a mid but perhaps that means taking someone like Gross with a second rounder.

Yeah the draft will almost be anti climax if Battle doesnt leave now. Not that I want him to go, but I can see the benefit for him and the club either way.

You get a 10 minute sugar rush on draft night, before reality sets in. Lots of first year players don't even play AFL their first year. If they do , they don't make up for a bleeding backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get a 10 minute sugar rush on draft night, before reality sets in. Lots of first year players don't even play AFL their first year. If they do , they don't make up for a bleeding backline.

For sure. But 2 top 10 draft picks ain’t about next year, and going off this year we aren’t going to be contenders next year so…

We need to add to the young core we have from King down (but mainly the 2021-2024 draft cohorts). Getting as many quality players in that group as possible is the real sugar hit.

We can make do without Battle, as solid as he is, but we won’t get anywhere unless we develop a group of kids in tandem over time, with patience. It’s a tricky thing to get right. Look how long it’s taken North and Hawthorn… but ask the neutral fan on the street and they’d rate those teams future prospects a lot higher than ours.

If we keep Battle, we can still nail this draft tho, so either way it’s pretty exciting. But the best case scenario out of all the reasonable scenarios is landing two legitimate guns in the top 5 that catapult our youth cohort into the driving force of this club. We need more high grade prospects like Naisah and Wilson and Phillipou - we’ve been ****ing nailing our FRDPs lately, I’d love a double bite at that apple to add to that group.

Doubt the back line will "bleed" simply because we lost Battle.

Howard, Wilkie Battle V Howard Wilkie + Cordy/Caminiti/best vfl defender/some random late pick trade will stand up fairly well because overall our defensive structure is sound.

Well worth the risk for the chance to remedy an actual problem area in our team.

The weirdest part is that we have 9 players over 29 this year. Losing Battle and Howard seems to be a weird list management call unless we want to drop down for an extended period.

Hill, Webster and Wood the best of them currently playing. Ross, Crouch and Membrey probably already gone.

Another 8 between 28 and 29 this year. Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie, Steele, Howard and Butler in this group.

That's a bulk of our best players.

In the mid career bracket we have Battle (25), Cordy and Bonner 27, Paton, Higgins, Dow, Clark, Stocker, King, Sharman and Byrnes. Battle and King the only ones that look like definite above average players.

Most players are retired or slowing down by 32. That gives us 2 to 5 years to challenge before we become a very thin list with not much talent.

A best 22 in 5 years

Backs
FB- Hastie, Van Es/Keeler, McLennan
HB- Bonner, Schoenmaker, Nas
Centre- Wilson, Windhager, Henry
HF- Higgins, King, Owens
FF- Caminiti, Sharman, Collard
Followers- Heath, Dow, Phillipou
Int- Garcia, Byrnes, Clark, McLennan, Hall

So far Nas is the only A grader. Phillipou on track, Wilson and Schoenmaker heading there. King and Snags probably get there. Maybe Henry. We need all our kids to make the most of their careers and hope we draft well from here while adding talent from outside because if not a massive cliff is coming. We really need to make a challenge while we have a bulk of those older guys still listed or we could take a hard drop off just as Tasmania takes the best talent from multiple drafts.

Howard, Wilkie Battle V Howard Wilkie + Cordy/Caminiti/best vfl defender/some random late pick trade will stand up fairly well because overall our defensive structure is sound.

Well worth the risk for the chance to remedy an actual problem area in our team.

There is a problem with our midfield not having stars but the problem looks worse with injuries hitting the bulk of our midfield this year. We have quite a few players in our midfield but had them decimated. Richmond paid up to add two star mids and they've had the same issue tis season.

Our tall back stocks could get hit by injury next year. If Wilkie and Howard go down we are playing Cordy, Van Es and Keeler if they are still on the list. If the forward stocks get hit at the same time we have King, Sharman and Caminiti and not much behind them.

Making a hole in your best line seems like a crazy move, especially seeing as we seem to be keen to lose Howard and Battle in the same season.

The weirdest part is that we have 9 players over 29 this year. Losing Battle and Howard seems to be a weird list management call unless we want to drop down for an extended period.

Hill, Webster and Wood the best of them currently playing. Ross, Crouch and Membrey probably already gone.

Another 8 between 28 and 29 this year. Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie, Steele, Howard and Butler in this group.

That's a bulk of our best players.

In the mid career bracket we have Battle (25), Cordy and Bonner 27, Paton, Higgins, Dow, Clark, Stocker, King, Sharman and Byrnes. Battle and King the only ones that look like definite above average players.

Most players are retired or slowing down by 32. That gives us 2 to 5 years to challenge before we become a very thin list with not much talent.

A best 22 in 5 years

Backs
FB- Hastie, Van Es/Keeler, McLennan
HB- Bonner, Schoenmaker, Nas
Centre- Wilson, Windhager, Henry
HF- Higgins, King, Owens
FF- Caminiti, Sharman, Collard
Followers- Heath, Dow, Phillipou
Int- Garcia, Byrnes, Clark, McLennan, Hall

So far Nas is the only A grader. Phillipou on track, Wilson and Schoenmaker heading there. King and Snags probably get there. Maybe Henry. We need all our kids to make the most of their careers and hope we draft well from here while adding talent from outside because if not a massive cliff is coming. We really need to make a challenge while we have a bulk of those older guys still listed or we could take a hard drop off just as Tasmania takes the best talent from multiple drafts.

All the more reason not to mess around with players like Sheil.

correct. dunstan's disposal wasn't the issue. he couldn't run and spread, which made him a liability in the midfield. there were no defensive efforts. couldn't zone or transition. once the ball got out, he found it hard to have an impact. which meant he couldn't accumulate and he couldn't contribute to scoring chains. around the contest he could impact it, but thats only one part of being a mid. the acquisition of crouch effectively cooked him. he was essentially a better version of cockie if you remember him.

if you look at the disposal of your inside mid grunts its not great. for example look at nat fyfes disposal. what he did
have was a good tank and overhead was great. offensively good.

right now hunter clarks disposal is worse than dunstan was, yes.

hunter clark at his best, his disposal is seriously better, but that's not happening right now and hasn't for a while. he's absolutely butchered it this season. but like dunstan his issue is he can't accumulate or have any meaningful impact as a midfielder because he has no tank nor burst.

We’ll agree to disagree then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You forgot Arie.

Find it hard to believe we will trade Howard if Battle goes.
That’s possibly why we are waiting on Battles decision before we re-sign Howard.

Some notes below on Cole matched up against Jobe Shanahan who is rated one of the better tall forwards in the draft

Taking on arguably the toughest matchup in defence, Cole competed hard with high-marking forward Jobe Shanahan all day. He had the athleticism to go with him on the lead and did his best to either apply body contact or force a spoil as both players took to the air. Cole’s defensive diligence was adapted to suit ground level recovery and he was quite confident with ball in hand, either fending off opponents or bursting away on the rebound.

"Bursting away on rebound" .... but but .... all the experts on here are saying he can't rebound :think:

Shanahan kicked only 1 goal that day

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back