2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Elwood Peckett had a monster performance in this game, winning him Rookieme Central's player of the round and making all saints supporters giddy. His hard work paid off in spades as he laid 8 tackles and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time for release kicks or overlap handballs. He kicked goals from all different distances and angles, and only just missed out on a 6th from an intelligent crumb on the goal line late.

I think you and others are putting to much weight on the carnival and recent performances.

I’ve poured through a lot of footage of him in the last day.

Look at the prospect - if he fell to our pick.

Yes he is a ****ing man mountain compared to the others. But technically nothing is broken. Covers the ground well and has some forward craft. I think he is closer to the base of his potential but not even close to his ceiling.

There is a lot to like and work with. Which is why I would think that there can’t be 4 clubs stupid enough to pass on him.

He's still got a fair bit of risk IMO. He's so big that he can push players around and get out of trouble with his strength. He won't have that advantage when every other player is strong. His champs definitely put me off him a lot. He's not over quick or nimble and his decision making doesn't need to be fast because of his size. He's real boom or bust IMO.

Yeah agreed.

If in a hypothetical world he fell to us at 5. We would be stupid to pass.

But let’s see. Lots to play out.

I just don’t think it’s right to base everything on his fluctuating form.

I took him in the phantom for that reason but without real confidence in him. When you're talking top 6 picks you are splitting hairs and he's got some split-ends. Poor or good form is literally what positions these guys in the draft.

Jagga is the opposite, has played well and moved into genuine top 3 range, maybe even pick 1. Langford hasn't missed a beat and come right in. Murphy Reid the same.

Elwood Peckett had a monster performance in this game, winning him Rookieme Central's player of the round and making all saints supporters giddy. His hard work paid off in spades as he laid 8 tackles and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time for release kicks or overlap handballs. He kicked goals from all different distances and angles, and only just missed out on a 6th from an intelligent crumb on the goal line late.

Wow, he looks really good from that one game. Neat skills, good kick, good mark, great blow his knees. Looks like he was unlucky to not have kicked 8 goals from that. A few could have been shepherded through.

It would be nice for us Saints fans to have found a decent FS pick up.

I took him in the phantom for that reason but without real confidence in him. When you're talking top 6 picks you are splitting hairs and he's got some split-ends. Poor or good form is literally what positions these guys in the draft.

Jagga is the opposite, has played well and moved into genuine top 3 range, maybe even pick 1. Langford hasn't missed a beat and come right in. Murphy Reid the same.

It's normal to have those concerns about Smillie, because there will be questions on whether he can translate his junior dominance to AFL level. There were concerns on Patty Cripps' athleticism, speed and ability to cover the ground.

Not saying he is destined to be a Cripps-level player, but that's probably the player he becomes if he maxes out his potential.

My opinion is, if Battle was to actually leave and we get two picks, that he is definitely worth the conversation if he slides. I would feel more comfortable taking that 'risk' and then selecting a Langford, Draper etc, who are more agile etc.

Again, plenty water to still go under the bridge, but I think we are in a good position draft wise, because we are likely to get a good kid regardless of who slides.

It's normal to have those concerns about Smillie, because there will be questions on whether he can translate his junior dominance to AFL level. There were concerns on Patty Cripps' athleticism, speed and ability to cover the ground.

Not saying he is destined to be a Cripps-level player, but that's probably the player he becomes if he maxes out his potential.

My opinion is, if Battle was to actually leave and we get two picks, that he is definitely worth the conversation if he slides. I would feel more comfortable taking that 'risk' and then selecting a Langford, Draper etc, who are more agile etc.

Again, plenty water to still go under the bridge, but I think we are in a good position draft wise, because we are likely to get a good kid regardless of who slides.

I think Cripps ended up going around pick 12 or something in the end didn't he? When you're picking the cream of the draft you want to be pretty certain you're getting as few flaws as possible IMO.

That's why I took him in the phantom because with Langford you get a near certain above average mid and then you can speculate a bit on Smillie or Lalor types who have maybe higher ceilings but more question marks. Draper looks a very solid citizen and clean type, if we finish above Adelaide I reckon he is gone. He'd round out their midfield well.

He's still got a fair bit of risk IMO. He's so big that he can push players around and get out of trouble with his strength. He won't have that advantage when every other player is strong. His champs definitely put me off him a lot. He's not over quick or nimble and his decision making doesn't need to be fast because of his size. He's real boom or bust IMO.
What exactly doesn’t translate for him Gringo?

His strength & size is almost the guarantee that translate. Harley Reid still pushes players around and gives don’t argues weekly 😂

He moves well for a 194cm player. His looks very agile for someone that size playing midfield.

Work rate stood out. Very happy to run hard. Find space and tackle.

His disposal was abit suspect. So plenty to work on there. But would be happy to take him as a FS.

Thanks for putting this together, love your work. Good to see him putting up great numbers. Still probably a rookie pre-selection at best IMO but obviously knows how to play. Has the nous and the hardness but will need to keep developing some other strengths to make it.

Also noticed in the video that Cooper Hynes looks a level above whenever he goes near it. Such a good size, great mover, constantly chooses the right options and hard at it. Would be a perfect fit if he falls through to our second round pick, I'm really not sure why he's not projected higher. We'd be watching a lot of Dandenong so I'd imagine he is firmly on the radar around that mark.

Langford looks to have points of difference but genuinely not sure if it is good different or bad different. Seems to be one of the hardest guys to rate in the draft. Personally I would avoid but I can see why you'd take a punt on him.

Thanks for putting this together, love your work. Good to see him putting up great numbers. Still probably a rookie pre-selection at best IMO but obviously knows how to play. Has the nous and the hardness but will need to keep developing some other strengths to make it.

Also noticed in the video that Cooper Hynes looks a level above whenever he goes near it. Such a good size, great mover, constantly chooses the right options and hard at it. Would be a perfect fit if he falls through to our second round pick, I'm really not sure why he's not projected higher. We'd be watching a lot of Dandenong so I'd imagine he is firmly on the radar around that mark.

Langford looks to have points of difference but genuinely not sure if it is good different or bad different. Seems to be one of the hardest guys to rate in the draft. Personally I would avoid but I can see why you'd take a punt on him.
Imagine if we got Langford, Hynes, and Peckett. Great to bring the midfield trio from Dandenong to the Saints.

I did do a specific Cooper Hynes vid from this game if you wanted to see more:

What exactly doesn’t translate for him Gringo?

His strength & size is almost the guarantee that translate. Harley Reid still pushes players around and gives don’t argues weekly 😂

He moves well for a 194cm player. His looks very agile for someone that size playing midfield.

He doesn't do it for me. Why do you want my approval so badly? It comes across and clingy and desperate.

He seems like a big kid who doesn't accelerate away from trouble and gets caught but big enough to push himself out of trouble. He won't get that much time, space or size advantage in the AFL. It might be that he's so good that he adapts but maybe he won't. If I'm giving up a top 10 pick for a player I want close to perfection as possible.

Reid is big but he was also the most dominant junior in a decade. Smillie looks alright but I prefer others if given a choice.

Interesting assessment of someone who is 194cm and as big as he is at 18 years of age he’s already bigger then just about every midfielder in the afl bar a couple (stars of the game) in an afl system he will only get stronger and could potentially grow still? Can’t see him falling but yeah he will translate quite easily and has minimal bust factor on attributes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting assessment of someone who is 194cm and as big as he is at 18 years of age he’s already bigger then just about every midfielder in the afl bar a couple (stars of the game) in an afl system he will only get stronger and could potentially grow still? Can’t see him falling but yeah he will translate quite easily and has minimal bust factor on attributes.

We'll see in a few years I guess.

He doesn't do it for me. Why do you want my approval so badly? It comes across and clingy and desperate.

He seems like a big kid who doesn't accelerate away from trouble and gets caught but big enough to push himself out of trouble. He won't get that much time, space or size advantage in the AFL. It might be that he's so good that he adapts but maybe he won't. If I'm giving up a top 10 pick for a player I want close to perfection as possible.

Reid is big but he was also the most dominant junior in a decade. Smillie looks alright but I prefer others if given a choice.
I don’t want or need your approval.

Just trying to understand how you get to the most stupid outcome …. EVERY single time.

Would be interesting if we ended up with the Dandenong Stingrays midfield trio of Langford, Hynes, Peckett which certainly looks a possibility

I've been Hynes' biggest fan (self-proclaimed) for a long time now because he reminds me so much of Chad Warner, and I think a Warner-type is exactly what our midfield needs with that x-factor speed and burst. Warner was a pick 39, so there's that similarity in being a second rounder. Cal Twomey has made Bont comparisons to Langford which I think are a bit over the top, but there are definitely some similar attributes. He looks like he could rotate with Pou well between mid/fwd, although he isn't my favourite pick at pick 5/6 - would still prefer Lalor

Genuinely, a midfield of Pou, Lalor (pick 6), Hynes (pick 24) would be absolutely gun if they all develop well. Perfect mix of contest ability, running, power, burst, speed, attack, defence, ball use, size, work rate...literally everything. Then add a Smillie/FOS/Langford (pick 5) and Windhager rolling through...fk me I'd do unspeakable things. Could be even better than the prime Trac/Oliver/Viney midfield of '21

Peckett played like Isaac Heeney on the weekend - starting mid and being an attacking threat all day. He'll definitely start out as a forward - like Heeney/Butters/Rozee all have. He doesn't really have a standout attribute, which makes me doubt his upside as a full-time AFL midfielder, but we'll see

King & Sharman would take the piss if they had the quality of the above midfield delivering it to them

Work rate stood out. Very happy to run hard. Find space and tackle.

His disposal was abit suspect. So plenty to work on there. But would be happy to take him as a FS.
His reading of the play and positioning seem very natural. Watch him around stoppages and he is constantly repositioning as the pack moves around and the ball shifts within the pack - he's probably not even aware that he's doing it. He can see where the ball is most likely to exit the stoppage and is being pre-emptive.....

looks nice, a bit raw, good positioning forward of the ball.. not gonna play round 1 but could be a goodun

I don’t want or need your approval.

Just trying to understand how you get to the most stupid outcome …. EVERY single time.

And yet I'm mostly right and you usually end up cheerleading every dumb act we can muster. Interesting. You were bagging me for saying that Reid and Langford looked good before they shot up the board. I also said I wasn't that impressed by Smilie and thought Jagga looked like he should be pick one. Both seem to have the potential of coming true.

Said the top end of this draft isn't obvious but the depth was good. Nearly everyone else is of that opinion now. Said I didn't rate Lalor that high and others have dropped off him a too.

You're just scared that a person of such extraordinary vision and oracle like powers might not like your favourites. It's okay to have differences of opinion Knackers. Not everyone wanted Paddy Mattress or Jack Billings. There doesn't need to be consensus.

And yet I'm mostly right and you usually end up cheerleading every dumb act we can muster. Interesting. You were bagging me for saying that Reid and Langford looked good before they shot up the board. I also said I wasn't that impressed by Smilie and thought Jagga looked like he should be pick one. Both seem to have the potential of coming true.

Said the top end of this draft isn't obvious but the depth was good. Nearly everyone else is of that opinion now. Said I didn't rate Lalor that high and others have dropped off him a too.

You're just scared that a person of such extraordinary vision and oracle like powers might not like your favourites. It's okay to have differences of opinion Knackers. Not everyone wanted Paddy Mattress or Jack Billings. There doesn't need to be consensus.
Lol you're pretty funny. You've got to be trolling but just in case you're actually delulu...

EVERYONE knows the top end is even, people have been banging on about that fact since last year. You are not close to being any sort of pioneer for that idea. The depth is a more recent idea for the journos because they don't want to go the early crow and look stupid if it falls away in the latter half of the Talent League or Champs - they 100% would've been aware of the depth of talent throughout the entire year. Plus, any genuine draft watcher of the past 3+ months would tell you its a deep draft

Reid has stagnated at the exact same spot as he was 1-2 months ago, I'd go as far as saying he's slid more than climb because of the progress of guys like Travaglia, Lindsay etc

Saying Jagga could be pick one was never a big call, everyone and their nan knew that any one of the top 6 was in the frame for pick 1. He literally got 40 and 50 disposals in back-to-back games, if you think you're some genius for saying he "looked like he should be pick one" then you need to re-evaluate some things

Smillie is still being talked about as a potential number 1 pick so idk how that correlates with you being correct about not being impressed by him

And who has dropped off Lalor? RookieMe still have him @ 5, Cal has him @ 8, ESPN have him @ 6, all in their most recent rankings. He was never rated higher than that. Sounds like you're making stuff up to prove your narrative

Good work rate, but kick lacks penetration and seems to make poor decisions by foot going inside 50.
Links up well by hands to get outside the stoppage though.
Will be an interesting watch this Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back