2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol you're pretty funny. You've got to be trolling but just in case you're actually delulu...

EVERYONE knows the top end is even, people have been banging on about that fact since last year. You are not close to being any sort of pioneer for that idea. The depth is a more recent idea for the journos because they don't want to go the early crow and look stupid if it falls away in the latter half of the Talent League or Champs - they 100% would've been aware of the depth of talent throughout the entire year. Plus, any genuine draft watcher of the past 3+ months would tell you its a deep draft

Reid has stagnated at the exact same spot as he was 1-2 months ago, I'd go as far as saying he's slid more than climb because of the progress of guys like Travaglia, Lindsay etc

Saying Jagga could be pick one was never a big call, everyone and their nan knew that any one of the top 6 was in the frame for pick 1. He literally got 40 and 50 disposals in back-to-back games, if you think you're some genius for saying he "looked like he should be pick one" then you need to re-evaluate some things

Smillie is still being talked about as a potential number 1 pick so idk how that correlates with you being correct about not being impressed by him

And who has dropped off Lalor? RookieMe still have him @ 5, Cal has him @ 8, ESPN have him @ 6, all in their most recent rankings. He was never rated higher than that. Sounds like you're making stuff up to prove your narrative

Quiet now aifuku, I’m have a bitch fight with Stagro. Take your actual analysis somewhere that it’s appreciated or I’ll come after you too.

What exactly doesn’t translate for him Gringo?

His strength & size is almost the guarantee that translate. Harley Reid still pushes players around and gives don’t argues weekly 😂

He moves well for a 194cm player. His looks very agile for someone that size playing midfield.
I guess the problem is with his size and strength and midfield capabilities why he isnt absolutely dominating at this level?

Sure he has had a few decent games this year but he has had plenty of nothing games as well

It is Workrate? Does he run both ways? Run hard from contest to contest?

Intensity? Injury?

Is he a Cripps or a Hately?

Last edited:
Not going to happen but Smilie + FOS/Langford would be a good outcome
I suspect that Richmond goes with FOS or Smith, WC could very well split, if not then one of FOS, Smith or Draper suits given they have just traded in two big mids. Possibly Trainor, but they could slide back for that.

North could slide back or otherwise think Trainor is too early. Smilie might be a fit. Crows potentially in any direction by need, but we all expect t that Draper is a natural for them.

No one else is into Langford anywhere this high except Cal and this Board. Smilie and Langford could well be there at 5&6, but gee that solves none of our slow mid problem.

If none of Smith, FOS or Draper are available at 5, then those late wins (well, Crows choking and GC capitulation) could be a killer. It’s really not clear that Langford is even genuinely in the running for a top 6 pick at this point.

I guess the problem is with his size and strength and midfield capabilities why he isnt absolutely dominating at this level?

Sure he has had a few decent games this year but he has had plenty of nothing games as well

Intensity? Injury?

Yeah some of this is my concern. If you line him up with Cripps, which is completely unfair - but hey, we genuinely need a gun - he moves much better, kicking might be more natural yet not particularly good. The real question is he a genuine AFL bull or not quite there and ultimately a bit of a nothing elite type of guy. His personality could really be the key thing, as it should be for all: competitive, a leader, an alpha. I fear we are are sliding down the list where we are losing the top group.

I think you and others are putting to much weight on the carnival and recent performances.

I’ve poured through a lot of footage of him in the last day.

Look at the prospect - if he fell to our pick.

Yes he is a ****ing man mountain compared to the others. But technically nothing is broken. Covers the ground well and has some forward craft. I think he is closer to the base of his potential but not even close to his ceiling.

There is a lot to like and work with. Which is why I would think that there can’t be 4 clubs stupid enough to pass on him.

Just my humble opinion. Without knowing Smiling’s real speed, he looks quite lumbering (like Marshall playing mid), not the dynamic and fast mid who can run all day and rack up possession at will. Personally would prefer 2 of Langford, Lalor, Draper and FOS.

Last edited:
I’m curious to what order people’s preferences are for say the top 6-8. It’s so hard to pick.
This is my preference,

FOS
Smith
Draper
Smilie
Lalor
Trainer
Hotten
Langford
I can't split them THB
Top:
Smith
Draper
FOS

Middle:
Smilie
Lalor
Trainor
Langford

Bottom
Hotton (do not want)

Trainor looks a gun, it's just a mid centric industry now days. He should probably be in the top group IMHO, but with half of them getting injured it's not very reasonable to form strong opinions either way.

Murphy Reid should be in our thinking as well. Excellent creative skills, good vision in traffic. Got a bit of Serong/Sheezel/Butters to him. Exactly what we need IMO.

I suspect that Richmond goes with FOS or Smith, WC could very well split, if not then one of FOS, Smith or Draper suits given they have just traded in two big mids. Possibly Trainor, but they could slide back for that.

North could slide back or otherwise think Trainor is too early. Smilie might be a fit. Crows potentially in any direction by need, but we all expect t that Draper is a natural for them.

No one else is into Langford anywhere this high except Cal and this Board. Smilie and Langford could well be there at 5&6, but gee that solves none of our slow mid problem.

If none of Smith, FOS or Draper are available at 5, then those late wins (well, Crows choking and GC capitulation) could be a killer. It’s really not clear that Langford is even genuinely in the running for a top 6 pick at this point.

It's only highlights but the thing I like about Langford is that he doesn't play slow. There's guys like Coffield who test well and then are slow on the field. Langford looks the opposite to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intensity? Injury?

after the champs I'm worried that it's attitude. Just looks a bit lazy or disinterested at times. In that champs game in the wet I thiought he'd stood up. He played with a bit of BDE and confidence but it disappeared when he played other matches. To me those top picks are meant to be the absolute cream. He just didn't look hungry enough for my liking.

Langford and Reid play like they are ambitious and want people to be impressed. Even Draper does. Jagga just honestly looks like an excitable Jack Russell that sees a ball and goes over and over. FOS had the injury excuse and his past form looked the most naturally talented of them coming through. Trainor just looks like a premium tall and plays attacking footy.

Murphy Reid should be in our thinking as well. Excellent creative skills, good vision in traffic. Got a bit of Serong/Sheezel/Butters to him. Exactly what we need IMO.

If he tests better this time I think he'll move up. It sounds like speed is the issue with him. He plays some of the most attractive footy of the top 20.

I can't split them THB
Top:
Smith
Draper
FOS

Middle:
Smilie
Lalor
Trainor
Langford

Bottom
Hotton (do not want)

Trainor looks a gun, it's just a mid centric industry now days. He should probably be in the top group IMHO, but with half of them getting injured it's not very reasonable to form strong opinions either way.

Hotton had one incredible game and looked set to be a high pick if he had a big champs. He's either a massive bargain or an overhyped player. He's the type that will go around 20 and be a star at a top 4 club IMO. If we took him he'd spend 4 years injured and get delisted.

I’m curious to what order people’s preferences are for say the top 6-8. It’s so hard to pick.
This is my preference,

FOS
Smith
Draper
Smilie
Lalor
Trainer
Hotten
Langford

On how I think they'll end up in the AFL longer term.

Jagga
FOS
Langford
Trainor
Draper
Reid
Travaglia
Lindsay

Reid probably needs to test well though. Ashcroft deserves to be top 5 too but left him out. Lalor and Smillie have a been marked harshly for disappointing Champs campaigns.

Hotton had one incredible game and looked set to be a high pick if he had a big champs. He's either a massive bargain or an overhyped player. He's the type that will go around 20 and be a star at a top 4 club IMO. If we took him he'd spend 4 years injured and get delisted.
He reminds me too much of his brother. If an incredible game was the measure then young Elwood would also be in conversation but nothing beats consistency in this game.
He may well end up a good player, but he doesn't belong in that list. For now.

He reminds me too much of his brother. If an incredible game was the measure then young Elwood would also be in conversation but nothing beats consistency in this game.
He may well end up a good player, but he doesn't belong in that list. For now.

He was good as well but he was being talked of as a potential pick 1 after his stand out performance. Peckett looks like one who is coming home late. Some kids take a bit longer and he's given himself every chance of being an AFL player after not making the Vic Country squad. Some kids give up, some force their way in. Hard not to admire that attitude.

Yeah some of this is my concern. If you line him up with Cripps, which is completely unfair - but hey, we genuinely need a gun - he moves much better, kicking might be more natural yet not particularly good. The real question is he a genuine AFL bull or not quite there and ultimately a bit of a nothing elite type of guy. His personality could really be the key thing, as it should be for all: competitive, a leader, an alpha. I fear we are are sliding down the list where we are losing the top group.

Just my humble opinion. Without knowing Smiling’s real speed, he looks quite lumbering (like Marshall playing mid), not the dynamic and fast mid who can run all day and rack up possession at will. Personally would prefer 2 of Langford, Lalor, Draper and FOS.

after the champs I'm worried that it's attitude. Just looks a bit lazy or disinterested at times. In that champs game in the wet I thiought he'd stood up. He played with a bit of BDE and confidence but it disappeared when he played other matches. To me those top picks are meant to be the absolute cream. He just didn't look hungry enough for my liking.

Langford and Reid play like they are ambitious and want people to be impressed. Even Draper does. Jagga just honestly looks like an excitable Jack Russell that sees a ball and goes over and over. FOS had the injury excuse and his past form looked the most naturally talented of them coming through. Trainor just looks like a premium tall and plays attacking footy.
Smillie and Lalor both suffer from the same issues in my eyes.

Both need a lot of work on their tanks - which is why they have had moments but not matches during the carnival.

They have both been overshadowed to the smaller running machine mids.

It’s also worth pointing out, those knocking Smillie are also talking up Lalor. They both have been underwhelming and their best games have been outside of the carnival- albeit Smillie absolutely tore apart the game v VFL opposition.

They give off Petracca like vibes. Where you will need to give them a few seasons at AFL level before you see the best of them.

Ultimately. I’m so glad we don’t have pick 1 or 2. But as a pure prospect you would have to be blind to not think there could be something special about Smillie and his 194cm frame.

MrFoster yes mate. He is 194cm. His game isn’t speed and agility. His game is power. Contested possession. Resting forward with scoreboard impact.

I think the other 2 might be closer to his issues with personality and hunger.

And yet I'm mostly right and you usually end up cheerleading every dumb act we can muster. Interesting. You were bagging me for saying that Reid and Langford looked good before they shot up the board. I also said I wasn't that impressed by Smilie and thought Jagga looked like he should be pick one. Both seem to have the potential of coming true.

Said the top end of this draft isn't obvious but the depth was good. Nearly everyone else is of that opinion now. Said I didn't rate Lalor that high and others have dropped off him a too.

You're just scared that a person of such extraordinary vision and oracle like powers might not like your favourites. It's okay to have differences of opinion Knackers. Not everyone wanted Paddy Mattress or Jack Billings. There doesn't need to be consensus.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the top end of this draft other than none of these players seemingly wants to go pick 1.

No one is saying the top end isn’t good. Infact it’s been the complete opposite for months now by every credible draft watcher.

All I ever said about Jagga is that in the last 25 years it’s so very unlikely someone at Jagga height goes pick 1 unless they are elite juniors ie Scully or Marc Murphy.

I still stand right by that statement. Jagga is my favourite in this draft. But I think both the above mentioned players were better prospects. I still believe Jagga at p1 is a reach and I’m still maintaining I am thrilled we don’t have p1 or 2.

Secondly. I wanted Petracca. Not paddy. But I saw shit at training with paddy that you could justify why we took him. He had it. He didn’t have the injury luck.

Billings I was excited by. Didn’t really have a preference and I ****ing willed him on to success for years. But he didn’t have that elite drive and wilted infront of the big sticks on a weekly basis.

Yep you got on Langford and I agreed with you. I was way on the Jagga train before you.

So no, your not some oracle. You are just proving the god damn point about this draft. There is talent everywhere. It’s deep. There are exciting prospects who could go 1 or could go 12.

And at the minute the bloke who I think has the smallest bust potential probably goes around 10 at current.

Tobie Travaglia.

Based off nothing it feels like Battle is gone. Pray for the band one pick, and it looms as a crucial draft for us. Have to nail it.
fox footy profiled 10 players and have him gone,english staying smith barrass gone,for whatever they are worth

Verdict: Going.That being said, a lot hinges on where Hawthorn prioritise him among other trade targets.

I was never big on Smillie and thought he was over rated to be considered No 1 pick. Although if we end with 2 x picks 5 & 6 or similiar he will likely be strongly considered at those selections. As Mr Foster mentioned we do need a quick burst midfielder who is clean over the ball and I agree that should be a priority. Hopefully we can find a player who fits that bill, Draper would have been the perfect fit but he will taken before he gets through to us.

I put Smith, Draper, FOS & Ashcroft in a band of their own, the following group are very even until later in the first round. So the club might be better positioned to split one of the early picks, but given the eveness of the draft top end, other clubs may be reluctant to deal. Copper Hynes is shooting up draft boards and should now be considered a 1st round pick, but there are kids in WA and SA who should be considered higher also.

fox footy profiled 10 players and have him gone,english staying smith barrass gone,for whatever they are worth

Verdict: Going.That being said, a lot hinges on where Hawthorn prioritise him among other trade targets.
They have apparently told Barrass and Battle that the other is signing with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back