2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy's role is a perfect one for Max (and Ross) to reinvent himself into.

If a string bean like Darcy can put in as many minutes in the ruck as he does, then Max can.

Just need to get Max fit & stop kicking black cats & he'll be sweet.
Max always looks like he is calling for a taxi after 5mins on the ground , he is going to need to learn to chase and have repeat efforts , I'm not sure he has that in his makeup but I hope I'm wrong

It's been said a million times but Max has had a pretty bad run with injury over a few years now, affecting his general physicality as well as his confidence no doubt. We just have to hope he can have a clear run and get super fit. It's what he's lacked his entire career so far. Then and only then will the confidence come, but if he can and it does, that may be just enough to push us over the edge.

Fishing _up.gif

Max always looks like he is calling for a taxi after 5mins on the ground , he is going to need to learn to chase and have repeat efforts , I'm not sure he has that in his makeup but I hope I'm wrong
After coping a bake in the media around mid season he put in 1 game of sustained effort.
I think we'll all remember it, he went goalless but it was probably his career best game in that regard and we saw he was capable. Then he went back to his usual.
I think it's time he stopped getting coddled, and goes to vfl until he learns sustained effort like Coops has done this year. If he doesn't put the big boy pants on then have a serious think about trading him.
**** this unfulfilled talent BS. Work hard or GTFO.

He was moving pretty well until the GWS game.

I went down to watch a few pre season sessions & he was definitely putting in the work. Looked bigger & stronger too and covered the ground beautifully.

He's a massive point of difference if we can get him right. A Roma/Max ruck/forward combo would create nightmares for the oppo.

The best thing out of Max's struggles and absence is it has allowed Coops to blossom. He's a bonafide AFL standard player now... week in week out consistency is now the question. His athleticism makes him a really tough match up for any key defender.

The trick is obviously going to be integrating Max back in & ensuring that Coops keep flourishing.

Watching us the other night I couldn't help but think I wish they had taken Rozee like I wanted, I just don't think Max is ever going to reach the heights some think he will
You see Darcy who has played 26 games and three years younger and its chalk and cheese , Darcy is a competitive beast even though he is a stick man.
Anyway lets see how Max goes next year but he needs to really lift IMO
Watching the Bulldogs the other night I couldn’t help but think how good it would have been for Max to play alongside two key forwards like JUH and Naughton.

Leave Max out of it, he’s been on his lonesome since Paddy Ryder hasn’t been there to give him a chop out.

Bulldogs haven’t even played Croft yet, embarrassment of key forward riches.

Everyone wants Max to succeed, but the time to produce is next season.

He needs to play higher up the ground, he looked fantastic the first two rounds moving up the ground.

He seems to think he needs to wrestle, he should be on the lead and if you don’t get used then chase and hunt the ball.

There is no denying he’s a talent, but that word doesn’t mean anything if you don’t put in the effort. Schache was a pick 2, Weideman pick 9….

Goals aside I would love to some positive body language and second efforts next season, I think as a result the goals will come.

Agree. Lalor one that likely has a lot of upside even just to get back to his “normal” level. I don’t get the knock on Reid at all. If he’s slow then I don’t wanna be fast.
I like Reid, he changes angles with his ball use and seemed to have a knack for weighting kicks to leads rather than needing to fire flat bullets to hit difficult targets.

Looked to have class and footy IQ. I also don’t see the Hunter Clark comparison at all.

I like Reid, he changes angles with his ball use and seemed to have a knack for weighting kicks to leads rather than needing to fire flat bullets to hit difficult targets.

Looked to have class and footy IQ. I also don’t see the Hunter Clark comparison at all.
Personally, I think many have their eyes on drafting someone with pace or at worst a noticeable burst. We keep hearing and seeing that our midfield lacks the dynamism to match it with the best in the league.

The 'Hunter Clark mark 2' argument is a valid concern, as you can never be sure on how U18 form translates to the AFL. He isn't a massive kid as well, so that might put some off. I can see a little bit of the Harry Sheezel type movement.

Regardless, I back our recruiting team to draft talent that best suits our current list build. There are plenty of out-of-contract players who I have no idea whether they will be with us on day one of pre-season.

He was moving pretty well until the GWS game.

I went down to watch a few pre season sessions & he was definitely putting in the work. Looked bigger & stronger too and covered the ground beautifully.

He's a massive point of difference if we can get him right. A Roma/Max ruck/forward combo would create nightmares for the oppo.

The best thing out of Max's struggles and absence is it has allowed Coops to blossom. He's a bonafide AFL standard player now... week in week out consistency is now the question. His athleticism makes him a really tough match up for any key defender.

The trick is obviously going to be integrating Max back in & ensuring that Coops keep flourishing.
And that they don't got back to kicking it to Max all the time , ATM we have so many options for goals and it needs to stay that way , you cant have all the eggs in on basket

And that they don't got back to kicking it to Max all the time , ATM we have so many options for goals and it needs to stay that way , you cant have all the eggs in on basket
Correct.

We have multiple options now... despite how Max has personally contributed to his own poor form, I bet he's licking his lips watching how our forwards have had the ball delivered to them in recent weeks.

If they can keep hitting up that 30-40m target then it'll make it impossible for teams to triple team him like they are able to do with the constant long bombs.

I was just looking at the draft points and Gold Coast have a total of 5670 points with their picks. Lets say Lombard is bid on at pick 5 (points 1878) the most likely club for GCS to trade their pick is with Richmond (total points 5948), who have a miriad of late picks and GCS wanting to get Daniel Rioli up there.

Richmond are going to really set up how the trade and draft will look this year. If they lose Rioli to GCS say #13 or #20, Baker to WCE say pick #23 plus, and Bolton to Fremantle say pick #10 or #17 plus. Then after trading with GCS and the other clubs they could enter the draft with something like picks - #1, #5, #10, #13, #21, #23 & #30. Obviously depending on what other players they might target trade wise.

So if hyperthetically Richmond end up with GCS pick #5 who will they be looking at? I think with their array of picks they will go 2 x midfielders with their first two picks (#1 & #5), they can then start looking at the tall forwards etc following. There are lots of possibilities of who will be taken before our pick/s, as apart from North's draft pick I think the remainder of the top 6-7 picks will all be midfielders.

It will be interesting just sitting back to see how Richmond navigate this years trade and draft periods! If they lose all the talent touted to want trades, they are going to bottom out big time over the next few years. If I was running their list rebuild I would be asking for players in return with the trading clubs eg GCS Moyle/Lukosious, WCE Culley, Fremantle Bandfield/Sturt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he's been ear marked as a wing/half forward but Darcy Wilson's goal charging out of the middle had massive young Dangerfield vibes about it. Power, pace & kicked it from outside 50 with ease.

I like the mix we are developing in the midfield group coming through... IMO we need creative ball users as much as anything. Guys that make great decisions & have great kicking skills to back that up.
agree, Game has moved away from the old need to be strong and tough to absolutely having a spot in there for a less contested player with pace and skill (surprises we didn’t use Henry more in there tbh - he looked good over the PS).He really has some wheels.

agree, Game has moved away from the old need to be strong and tough to absolutely having a spot in there for a less contested player with pace and skill (surprises we didn’t use Henry more in there tbh - he looked good over the PS).He really has some wheels.

They did try him in the middle. He wasn't strong and tough enough.

Ok , maybe not strong and tough, but you do need players who can win the ball.

whats the gossip like on these tigers players going?

strong mail or just all piss and wind like stringer to saints?
Bolton is almost a lock to leave - he's playing like he's checked out and the Dockers are extremely confident. Chase success and return home while Tigers get a stack of picks, its win-win

Graham has been offered an extension but is considering an offer from West Coast. So is Baker. From what I've read, both are 50-50

Rioli I feel could go either way considering Maurice is still at Richmond but he also wants to join Dimma

In the end I think they'll let 3 go and one stays. They'll have at least 5 first rounders so could be a prime target for us if we want to split one of our top 10 picks

I was just looking at the draft points and Gold Coast have a total of 5670 points with their picks. Lets say Lombard is bid on at pick 5 (points 1878) the most likely club for GCS to trade their pick is with Richmond (total points 5948), who have a miriad of late picks and GCS wanting to get Daniel Rioli up there.

Richmond are going to really set up how the trade and draft will look this year. If they lose Rioli to GCS say #13 or #20, Baker to WCE say pick #23 plus, and Bolton to Fremantle say pick #10 or #17 plus. Then after trading with GCS and the other clubs they could enter the draft with something like picks - #1, #5, #10, #13, #21, #23 & #30. Obviously depending on what other players they might target trade wise.

So if hyperthetically Richmond end up with GCS pick #5 who will they be looking at? I think with their array of picks they will go 2 x midfielders with their first two picks (#1 & #5), they can then start looking at the tall forwards etc following. There are lots of possibilities of who will be taken before our pick/s, as apart from North's draft pick I think the remainder of the top 6-7 picks will all be midfielders.

It will be interesting just sitting back to see how Richmond navigate this years trade and draft periods! If they lose all the talent touted to want trades, they are going to bottom out big time over the next few years. If I was running their list rebuild I would be asking for players in return with the trading clubs eg GCS Moyle/Lukosious, WCE Culley, Fremantle Bandfield/Sturt.
FOS @ 1

Best available @ 5. Probably Smillie but can't rule out Langford or Lalor

this guy looks really really good too.. haven't checked his averages, but 194 cm, moves like jimmy webster, flies for his marks, great in traffic, great kick, reads the play beautifully (one of the last contests where he makes the split second decision to drop off his man to intercept, great read, could have gone very wrong).

I know I was all "let battle walk so we can draft mids etc", but with Pou and Garcia coming on, I wouldn't be adverse to snagging this fella with our compo pick, paired with wilkie it would set up our defence for another 5 years.

also, Draper looked pretty meh in his last game for the SANFL, very handball heavy. Probably just an off game

Another strong VFL showing from Tobie Travaglia to follow up his solid debut last week. He appeared more confident this week, running off his man more proactively to get involved in transition ball movement and zoning off his man to fill gaps defensively and intercept the ball coming into D50. The only slight negative is the few times he turned the footy over in dangerous areas, perhaps rushed by the greater pace and intensity than he's used to.

They did try him in the middle. He wasn't strong and tough enough.

Ok , maybe not strong and tough, but you do need players who can win the ball.
If they have one, most teams have one mid with breakaway speed at a centre bounce.

Holmes was the one blitzing us early doors... he's no bigger than Darcy.

this guy looks really really good too.. haven't checked his averages, but 194 cm, moves like jimmy webster, flies for his marks, great in traffic, great kick, reads the play beautifully (one of the last contests where he makes the split second decision to drop off his man to intercept, great read, could have gone very wrong).

I know I was all "let battle walk so we can draft mids etc", but with Pou and Garcia coming on, I wouldn't be adverse to snagging this fella with our compo pick, paired with wilkie it would set up our defence for another 5 years.

also, Draper looked pretty meh in his last game for the SANFL, very handball heavy. Probably just an off game

He looks really good .... great decision maker, great skills, good size and can move .... could he eventually go through the middle?

Local boy as well

If he is there at one of our picks I would seriously consider

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back