2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

As well as Peckett, NGA Hofmann played OK in his one game for Sandy. NGA Cole played a couple too. Do those three get list spots ? Then you have the Sandy rookie, Do we still like Benier, I don't.

On a weekend where 40 possession games seemed to become the standard, Lalor's modest 22 touches could get overlooked. He was strong and muscular at the contest all game, standing up in tackles or breaking them with a swivel of his hips. He showed a dash of pace to burst clear of congestion, and laced out a number of passes onto the chest of a leading forward, although the kicking was a little bit of a mixed bag as he did miss a few. He's such a powerful and beautifully balanced athlete that he seems to only just be scratching the surface of his potential.

I'll give you one guess who got beaten in the final round last year by the hopeless bottom team North. Cost North a generational talent.

Don't back Gold Coast to win. In fact I'm pretty confident Richmond will smash them.

Gold Coast's record at the death of pretty much every season since their inception is abysmal.
Tigers are 4pts and 2.7% behind North who likely to get pummelled by the Hawks .... of they win not sure what it would take to overhaul them .... but pick 1 could be in jeopardy

On a weekend where 40 possession games seemed to become the standard, Lalor's modest 22 touches could get overlooked. He was strong and muscular at the contest all game, standing up in tackles or breaking them with a swivel of his hips. He showed a dash of pace to burst clear of congestion, and laced out a number of passes onto the chest of a leading forward, although the kicking was a little bit of a mixed bag as he did miss a few. He's such a powerful and beautifully balanced athlete that he seems to only just be scratching the surface of his potential.

Thanks Noober for posting this

He looks so balanced with that burst/power and is a great overhead mark.

Re: his kicking - there some on here that say he is below average in that area .... what I see is a kick that is penetrating and technically sound .... he hit a few lace out and the ones he didn't he hit up a one on one contest .... a better forward may have marked those if they played in front

He can go forward as well and kick goals as we have seen

If we want power and burst from stoppage with good skills it's hard to look past him

Re: his kicking - there some on here that say he is below average in that area .... what I see is a kick that is penetrating and technically sound .... he hit a few lace out and the ones he didn't he hit up a one on one contest .... a better forward may have marked those if they played in front

If we want power and burst from stoppage with good skills it's hard to look past him
At this level I tend to be more focused on the eye test with kicking than the pure results, as often a good kick to the right area can be let down by an inexperienced forward who lacks the ability to protect their space or strength to hold off a defender.

Lalor to me looks to have a lovely balance and fluid technique. Able to get distance without over kicking. Seems to naturally punch through the ball and not too much loop/hang time. In time I reckon his kicking might be elite.

At this level I tend to be more focused on the eye test with kicking than the pure results, as often a good kick to the right area can be let down by an inexperienced forward who lacks the ability to protect their space or strength to hold off a defender.

Lalor to me looks to have a lovely balance and fluid technique. Able to get distance without over kicking. Seems to naturally punch through the ball and not too much loop/hang time. In time I reckon his kicking might be elite.
Yes agree .... his kicking is very technically sound and he hits his intended target whether that be a loose player or a teammate in a contest .... he isn't spraying them .... covers 50m with ease

And he is a great mark .... you need mids that are great overhead

He has one more game to showcase his wares as GWVR aren't making the Coates League Finals

Lalor is the perfect option for a club with 2 picks. I'd be wary if we had just the one, but for our second - he is exactly what we need. The Dusty style burst of power is something we could really do with. One would think a 20 possession game from Lalor would be just as damaging as a 30 possession game from an accumulater.

Still hoping one of Smith, Draper or FOS slide but more than happy to grab Lalor with the other.

End of the day, it's going to be great to still have access to either Smillie, Lalor or Trainor if the 3 smaller mids are gone before our pick.

Want. If we have two pick one has to be this guy.

A few have mentioned that North are keen on Trainor given they are loaded with mids ... do they reach and take him with pick 2 or do they load up again and go with Draper? :think:

If so .... it potentially leaves us with Lalor Reid Smillie Langford Travaglia Lindsay Allan Moraes Hynes .... as mid picks

I have it

Tigers - O'Sullivan
North - Trainor or maybe Draper
Weagles - Jagga (mates with Harley apparently)
Adelaide - Draper or ???? (they will take a mid)
Gold Coast - ????
Saints - ????
Dees - ????

Brisbane will get Ashcroft
Gold Coast will get Lombard (at what pick?)

I will be very miffed if we take a key forward with one of our 2 picks ... if we get 2 picks

One beast and one pace is on my Xmas list. One Lalor and then a case of rabies leaves Draper on the board until pick 6.

A few have mentioned that North are keen on Trainor given they are loaded with mids ... do they reach and take him with pick 2 or do they load up again and go with Draper? :think:

If so .... it potentially leaves us with Lalor Reid Smillie Langford Travaglia Lindsay Allan Moraes Hynes .... as mid picks

I have it

Tigers - O'Sullivan
Gold Coast - ????
Saints - ????
Dees - ????

I will be very miffed if we take a key forward with one of our 2 picks ... if we get 2 picks
There aren't any key forwards in the top 10 are there? Whitlocks are projected to go in the teens/20s.

Another prolific performance from a Dragons player on the weekend, this time Luke Trainor who found a stack of the footy rebounding out of defense and using his elite running power to get involved in possession chains through the middle of the ground. His disposal was a little mixed at times, but his overhead marking was strong throughout which should help to quell some of the concerns about that part of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's real FIGJAM with Lalor, just look at his profile picture here... looks like a bloke that knows he fathered your daughter but still comes around to your family BBQ and takes the last steak. A real campaigner.
Perfect for us!

127638_Phantom-Form-Guide_Hero_July-Strap-8_FA-1x.jpg

Another prolific performance from a Dragons player on the weekend, this time Luke Trainor who found a stack of the footy rebounding out of defense and using his elite running power to get involved in possession chains through the middle of the ground. His disposal was a little mixed at times, but his overhead marking was strong throughout which should help to quell some of the concerns about that part of his game.

Call me crazy but why can’t this guys play as a mid? Looks like he has the athleticism

Im convinced barring a miraculous slider eg Draper or Smith - Sam Lalor should be our first pick. Just the way he exits stoppages and attacks the ball and tackles screams dominant midfielder in my view. Plus his attack on the ball in the air and his marking strengths gives him another string to his bow. He is not a huge numbers player, but what he does is far more damaging than others getting 35-40 disposals.

If we have two early picks the 2nd player picked can then be on list needs eg speed (Lindsay) inside bull (Langford/Smillie), elite running medium defender (Travaglia), tall forward/defender (Armstrong/Trainor).

I've seen some people on here doubt his kicking. This video should change that opinion

Im convinced barring a miraculous slider eg Draper or Smith - Sam Lalor should be our first pick. Just the way he exits stoppages and attacks the ball and tackles screams dominant midfielder in my view. Plus his attack on the ball in the air and his marking strengths gives him another string to his bow. He is not a huge numbers player, but what he does is far more damaging than others getting 35-40 disposals.

If we have two early picks the 2nd player picked can then be on list needs eg speed (Lindsay) inside bull (Langford/Smillie), elite running medium defender (Travaglia), tall forward/defender (Armstrong/Trainor).
I think he had 34 in his only other Coates game (first game back for some time too)

Nah take best available mid (Langford) or split it to take needs picks. I'd love us to slide back a couple of spots for a late first rounder in order to take Travaglia at around 10-12 then Hynes at the end of the first round

I have it

Tigers - O'Sullivan
Gold Coast - ????
Saints - ????
Dees - ????

North's tallest mid is LDU at 188cm, they might take Smillie or Lalor for a point of difference to their midfield, of course Langford is there too. I'm not convinced they steer away from their midfield selection strategy

Sam Lalor just has to end up at the saints. Exactly the type we need. Not put off by his low disposal numbers. He's just power personified

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I am convinced that we will receive whichever draft pick that immediately follows the selection of Draper, FOS, Smith, Smylie and Lalor.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back