2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Lalor a Dalrymple kind of pick?

Power .... Good disposals skills .... Good overhead .... how does Lalor compare with Chad Warner's profile who was a Dalrymple selection?

Would anyone who is complaining we will get to select the 'best of the rest' after all the name mids are gone, swap NWM (pick 13) Pou (pick 10) or Wilson ( pick 18)?

Sure there are probably better players than them in each draft, but each is a top quality player and all three potentially elite.

Sometimes, especially in such an even draft, a slightly later pick can work to advantage. All we need is a Smillie, a FoS, or a Draper to slide and we have have them and Lalor.
Pou slide to ten, Essendon chose Tsatsas at 5.
Whomever is available at our picks will be very good.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would anyone who is complaining we will get to select the 'best of the rest' after all the name mids are gone, swap NWM (pick 13) Pou (pick 10) or Wilson ( pick 18)?

Sure there are probably better players than them in each draft, but each is a top quality player and all three potentially elite.

Sometimes, especially in such an even draft, a slightly later pick can work to advantage. All we need is a Smillie, a FoS, or a Draper to slide and we have have them and Lalor.

The complaints are about completely missing out on the top tier, not getting the last of them

If the picks go a certain permutation (FOS Jagga Draper Smillie 1-4), we will miss out on all the top dogs and will take the best of the second tier (Langford), which is why I think we need to split the pick if that’s the case

Last edited:

I reckon the Tigers are a chance to take Trainor or Armstrong if they end up snagging GC's early pick for Rioli (which is massive overs IMO but looks likely).

They're very light on for young developing talls so it would make sense for them to pair a tall with whoever they take at #1, then load up on more mids, etc with their other 1st round picks.

If Norf go tall too then we're still a show of getting one of our most desired sliders.

I reckon the Tigers are a chance to take Trainor or Armstrong if they end up snagging GC's early pick for Rioli (which is massive overs IMO but looks likely).

They're very light on for young developing talls so it would make sense for them to pair a tall with whoever they take at #1, then load up on more mids, etc with their other 1st round picks.

If Norf go tall too then we're still a show of getting one of our most desired sliders.
Nah they’ll take Lalor at 5 and Armstrong at 7 imo. They have Gibcus in the Trainor role

If the tigers ship out 3 mids Rioli Baker and Bolton, they probably ship 3 back in.
Having said that they have at least 4 most likely 5 or 6 frdp.
They will pick other types of players as well. Trainor is the wild card, if he goes early it is good for us.

Bit also reckon that with Houston and potentially Trac and a couple of others clubs may come calling with a combo of picks and player to Tigers, Freo Port and GCS.

Reckon we will see at least 4 top 20 picks traded to other clubs.

Going to be really interesting especially as we most likely are the only club with 2 picks inside 10 at the moment, provided Battle goes.

Going to be interesting time

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s more the finally bloody finally the chance to build a good midfield.

I’m also kind of pissed in particular by the cheap late wins. All very well for a few wins late when the pressure is off, but where was this when it counted. Another wasted year and more missing out on the top line talent ( yep agree in the end who knows that we won’t get very good players out of it). And much greater chance outside of the top 5 that one will be a pretty meh player in the end.

I think fans are suddenly very rose coloured glasses about where we are really at.

While everyone is worrying about the picks we will have on draft night, please note that the order will change massively over the course of the trade period, with pick swaps and player trades.

At the moment, it looks like Richmond will be the club that shapes the offseason. I doubt the Suns trade pick 5 for Rioli, but that club is dumb as a box full of hammers. Surely it will be later first rounders.

With Shai Bolton, I read from his agent that he hasn't actually requested a trade. He obviously would love to go back to WA, but that is dependent on Richmond getting a deal that is overs. Bolton understands he is a contracted and required player.

Overall, it would be great if we finish below the Suns to ensure a better chance at taking a Lalor etc, but who's to say some club doesn't trade up to jump us. Will be an interesting and engaging offseason for sure.

While everyone is worrying about the picks we will have on draft night, please note that the order will change massively over the course of the trade period, with pick swaps and player trades.

At the moment, it looks like Richmond will be the club that shapes the offseason. I doubt the Suns trade pick 5 for Rioli, but that club is dumb as a box full of hammers. Surely it will be later first rounders.

With Shai Bolton, I read from his agent that he hasn't actually requested a trade. He obviously would love to go back to WA, but that is dependent on Richmond getting a deal that is overs. Bolton understands he is a contracted and required player.

Overall, it would be great if we finish below the Suns to ensure a better chance at taking a Lalor etc, but who's to say some club doesn't trade up to jump us. Will be an interesting and engaging offseason for sure.
No way the Suns trade pick 5 out. They’ll gamble that Lombard doesn’t get bid on before pick 5, or they’ll use it to trade up further.
Rioli is worth an end of first rounder at best, which they currently have but holds no value because it’ll get eaten by the Lombard bid, hence they’ll trade it.

No way the Suns trade pick 5 out. They’ll gamble that Lombard doesn’t get bid on before pick 5, or they’ll use it to trade up further.
Rioli is worth an end of first rounder at best, which they currently have but holds no value because it’ll get eaten by the Lombard bid, hence they’ll trade it.
Rioli is worth an end of 1st if he was OOC.

Tigers hold the whip hand & will be riding Hardwick like the Pumper on Might & Power.

They might have to do a StK in 2019 & split #5 & flick the higher one to the Suns.

I agree, Rioli isnt worth pick 5, but Gold Coast hardly have a good record when it comes to giving away picks for a a player who wants to go to them.

I was really interested in Sam Mitchell's comments on AFL 360 tonight, where he said that Calsher Dear has informed the way he views draft talent. Basically said that he didn't rate Calsher much when he first presented, but has been blown away by his unwavering desire to improve himself as an athlete and a footballer. Mitchell went on to say that he really thinks individual competitiveness is almost the single most important trait as it drives everything else.

From a Saints perspective we can really see that in Owens and particularly Windhager, and I think Garcia has it as well. I'm also starting to think that Peckett might have it too.

100% take drive over talent any day. That’s why Smillie scares me. Looked bored at times during the champs. Langford in comparison looked like he was desperate for people to see his talent.

I think fans are suddenly very rose coloured glasses about where we are really at.

Wins aren't equal, what they say for our future depends on which players play well. The last period has been promising because:

• The penny seems to have dropped for Phillipou
  • Wilson keeps on popping up with seriously promising games
  • Sharman and Caminiti have some chemistry up forward and both could have good future roles
  • Garcia shows very nice signs for a young guy
  • McLennan didn't look completely out of place
  • Byrnes is contributing really well and could easily have a future
  • Mitch might have come out of his form slump
  • Stocker might have found a spot in midfield

So imo there's a bunch of reasons there for mild positivity around the younger players on the list. And that ignores Windy, Max, Henry (all forgotten because they're injured), Clark and Dow (need to cross fingers on them getting a good injury run and stepping up), and Nas (in an excusable mild form slump).

That's potentially - if a few things go to plan - a solid core, with potential for a couple of real stars in there.

I think that's why people are feeling relatively positive right now, and I think that's not completely irrational personally. Certainly better than earlier in the year when Pou wasn't anywhere near AFL quality yet, we hadn't seen McLennan, Byrnes was being delisted, Stocker was basically done, Clark and Dow weren't even playing, and Mitch was having a really tough year.

Wins aren't equal, what they say for our future depends on which players play well. The last period has been promising because:

• Sharman and Caminiti have some chemistry up forward and both could have good future roles

So imo there's a bunch of reasons there for mild positivity around the younger players on the list. And that ignores Windy, Max, Henry (all forgotten because they're injured), Clark and Dow (need to cross fingers on them getting a good injury run and stepping up), and Nas (in an excusable mild form slump).

That's potentially - if a few things go to plan - a solid core, with potential for a couple of real stars in there.

I think that's why people are feeling relatively positive right now, and I think that's not completely irrational personally. Certainly better than earlier in the year when Pou wasn't anywhere near AFL quality yet, we hadn't seen McLennan, Byrnes was being delisted, Stocker was basically done, Clark and Dow weren't even playing, and Mitch was having a really tough year.
Mitch’s form slump had to do with issues at home. Parents split up unfortunately

Yeah I’m positive on our kids. It’s the rest that are an issue 🤣.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back