2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously hope we make a bid on Sam Marshall with our 2nd selection (pick 9?). It is an incredible reach for him but it would blow Brisbane out of the water in terms of points, and highlight that the system is broken when a grand finalist can get two picks in the top 10. If the Lions didn't take him I wouldn't be too upset to get him anyway as he is a quality mid. That would also leave Brisbane using their handful of 3rd/4th round picks on leftovers. Win Win.
I'd like us to channel our inner Bidney, definitely bid on Lombard if he's still available, can always have a go at Kako and Marshall too.

Seriously hope we make a bid on Sam Marshall with our 2nd selection (pick 9?). It is an incredible reach for him but it would blow Brisbane out of the water in terms of points, and highlight that the system is broken when a grand finalist can get two picks in the top 10. If the Lions didn't take him I wouldn't be too upset to get him anyway as he is a quality mid. That would also leave Brisbane using their handful of 3rd/4th round picks on leftovers. Win Win.

There would be a fair chance Brisbane would not match the bid if they thought it was too much of reach.

They also have the luxury of knowing they have a very early prospect they will need to match a bid on next year. Which is just unbelievable.

If Saints bid on Marshall at 9 we would want to genuinely bid on him based on merit. There is a possibility Brisbane wouldn’t match. Make no assumptions.

There would be a fair chance Brisbane would not match the bid if they thought it was too much of reach.

They also have the luxury of knowing they have a very early prospect they will need to match a bid on next year. Which is just unbelievable.

If Saints bid on Marshall at 9 we would want to genuinely bid on him based on merit. There is a possibility Brisbane wouldn’t match. Make no assumptions.
Who have they got next year?

I don’t mind the Gold Coast getting dibs on their academy picks. They’re still a little way off becoming a powerhouse club and they deserve some reward for their investment in developing interest in the game at the youth level.

But, for Sydney and Brisbane I think it’s well time for both teams to fall in with the rest of the competition and make their talent free to all.

Like every other state they can still work the go home angle to draw players back home.

Haven't thought about it in too much detail, but surely a system where if you've registered x amount of wins or finished in top 8 for a period of like 3 years, you aren't entitled to any priority picks in the first round?

I don’t mind the Gold Coast getting dibs on their academy picks. They’re still a little way off becoming a powerhouse club and they deserve some reward for their investment in developing interest in the game at the youth level.

But, for Sydney and Brisbane I think it’s well time for both teams to fall in with the rest of the competition and make their talent free to all.

Like every other state they can still work the go home angle to draw players back home.
Nah, f*ck Gold Coast.

Between the 'ambassador' payments the AFL gives them, the extra draft picks they've got to clean up their poor decisions and the piss easy fixture to try and gift them finals, they've had enough help from the AFL. They dont need another cheap first round academy player on top of the 4 they got last year.

There taking him mate. His a gun.

Their investment?

The club is basically run and funded by the AFL. So why don’t we just say the AFL run Northern Academies and then those developed players go into the pool for all to choose?

As for Marshall from Lions, why is he allowed to get coaching down here in Talent League and Private School and still count as one of their academies.

Whole thing is laughable.

AFL should fund coaches and academies all around the country and all clubs share the spoils

Their investment?

The club is basically run and funded by the AFL. So why don’t we just say the AFL run Northern Academies and then those developed players go into the pool for all to choose?

As for Marshall from Lions, why is he allowed to get coaching down here in Talent League and Private School and still count as one of their academies.

AFL should fund coaches and academies all around the country and all clubs share the spoils
I agree that if a player leaves his zone as a 15/16 year old to develop and play in Vic then he should go into the open pool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that if a player leaves his zone as a 15/16 year old to develop and play in Vic then he should go into the open pool.
From the Brisbane website:
On the surface the Academy exists solely to provide draftable athletes to the AFL/W programs, however it is much more than that. As well as providing draftable talent, we also exist to keep the best talent in Queensland, to develop athletes to better the standard of Community football and to provide opportunities for staff and volunteer Professional Development.

It's farcical, the point of the academies is to foster and develop talent, if boys leave the state to do that the academy isn't really doing its job.

S
Their investment?

ame Jamara playing for Scotch and Oakleigh

Branden Crossley worth a look?

pdRocrP.jpeg

I don’t get the hype for Reid.

Was at the game yesterday. Elite handball in close which is fantastic but he’s a plodder. No power, no speed, doesn’t cover the ground that well & he’d be a small mid at AFL level. I’m not sold.
Not expecting him to be as good as Sheezel, but I don't see any of the power or speed with Sheezel either. And he was excellent as a midfielder towards the back end of this season, no reason Reid can't be a similar style of midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back