2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

didnt we do that with Bytel and to a lesser extent, Nathan Freeman??

Bytel came good physically, just didn't have the next step in him. Freezer was hubris thinking that we could fix what Collingwood couldn't. Same with Hanners.

The difference between the top 5 prospects and the next tier is marginal.
Give me pick 7&8 over a top 3 pick and a latter pick every day and twice on Sunday.
I’m only giving up one of 7 & 8 if we’re splitting it for two picks in the teens.

Except ever year one of the top 1-5 dynamic mids turns into:

Dusty(3),
Stringer(5)
Bont(4),
Kelly(2)
Trac(2),
De goey(5)
Oliver(4) lol
McCluggage(3)
Rayner(1)
LDU(4),
Rankine(3),
Rozee(5)
Anderson(2)
JHF(1)
Callaghan(3)
Sheezel(3)
Wardlaw(4)
Reid(1)

This is the type of player we completely lack, and no at least at this stage Wilson, Owens and Pou are good but not that burst, power dynamic mid yet.

I gaurantee that one of the top 5, probably FOS or Lalor joins the mix above and we don’t get access because we weren’t bold enough to trade up.

You have to risk it for the biscuit, let Dalrymple earn his money and pick us the next Bont with a top 5 pick.

If Richmond, North, WC, Adelaide and Melbourne get yet another one of these types while they fall just outside our grasp, I’ll be disappointed.

These types occasionally fall outside the top 5 but its rare.

Last edited:

Dusty(3),
Stringer(5)
Bont(4),
Kelly(2)
Trac(2),
De goey(5)
Oliver(4) lol
McCluggage(3)
Rayner(1)
LDU(4),
Rankine(3),
Rozee(5)
Anderson(2)
JHF(1)
Callaghan(3)
Sheezel(3)
Wardlaw(4)
Reid(1)

This is the type of player we completely lack, and no at least at this stage Wilson, Owens and Pou are good but not that burst, power dynamic mid yet.

I gaurantee that one of the top 5, probably FOS or Lalor joins the mix above and we don’t get access because we weren’t bold enough to trade up.

You have to risk it for the biscuit, let Dalrymple earn his money and pick us the next Bont with a top 5 pick.

If Richmond, North, WC, Adelaide and Melbourne get yet another one of these types while they fall just outside our grasp, I’ll be disappointed.

The only thing that is similar with those players is that they are all high quality. There are small forwards, tall inside mids, small outside mids, wings, bulls, class etc.

I think what we want is elite quality players. This draft doesn't have an absolute blue chip front end but you could potentially get a gun in the early 20s still.

Dusty(3),
Stringer(5)
Bont(4),
Kelly(2)
Trac(2),
De goey(5)
Oliver(4) lol
McCluggage(3)
Rayner(1)
LDU(4),
Rankine(3),
Rozee(5)
Anderson(2)
JHF(1)
Callaghan(3)
Sheezel(3)
Wardlaw(4)
Reid(1)

If Richmond, North, WC, Adelaide get yet another one of these types while they fall just outside our grasp, I’ll be disappointed.

This is it. You can’t tell me this draft is so different to every other draft. Seems even but the top few crystallize and it’s always the guy we need as you point out.

And… if it’s so bloody even why does anyone care about dropping 8 back to 22 if we can have a pick at the top as well.

The only thing that is similar with those players is that they are all high quality. There are small forwards, tall inside mids, small outside mids, wings, bulls, class etc.

I think what we want is elite quality players. This draft doesn't have an absolute blue chip front end but you could potentially get a gun in the early 20s still.

The common thread is that they all have the ‘game breaker’ ability to put their side on their back for that crucial part of the game when its in the balance, probably less prominent in some than others but the point is you have to be in the top 5 it to win it. Right now we are relying on luck that one of the top 7 (the one no one else wants) falls to our pick.

Dusty(3),
Stringer(5)
Bont(4),
Kelly(2)
Trac(2),
De goey(5)
Oliver(4) lol
McCluggage(3)
Rayner(1)
LDU(4),
Rankine(3),
Rozee(5)
Anderson(2)
JHF(1)
Callaghan(3)
Sheezel(3)
Wardlaw(4)
Reid(1)

Ashcroft will go pick 1 and Richmond aren't giving up their pick so you can eliminate all the top 2 picks from that list.

There's plenty of players that are taken outside of the top 5 that become elite. Given how even this draft is said to be there's no guarantee that the player we would want to select with pick 5 would have been taken before our natural pick anyway.

Dalrymple has also burned a few early picks in the past.

I'd rather have two bites at the cherry personally.

You'd be very carefully assessing him. A top 5 talent for a second round pick. He could be the best in the draft even.
yeah and he also could be retired before the end of his first season , I'm a gambling man and this is a horse I wouldn't be backing with your money

You win some , You lose more

Bytel came good physically, just didn't have the next step in him. Freezer was hubris thinking that we could fix what Collingwood couldn't. Same with Hanners.
And Smith from north , how many times are we going to go down this path

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they should get rid of the ten grand prize
It should go to the draftee recruited by the club that holds the #1 pick at commencement of the draft.

The difference between the top 5 prospects and the next tier is marginal.
Give me pick 7&8 over a top 3 pick and a latter pick every day and twice on Sunday.
I’m only giving up one of 7 & 8 if we’re splitting it for two picks in the teens.

It might be marginal to us laymen, viewing from the outside but not to our head recruiter. If we could get a deal where 7 is pushed up 4 picks and 8 is pushed down 5 picks like

7+8
for
3+13

I’d be more than happy with that, Dalrymple has had a few early misses at Sydney but he has nailed a few more at the Doggies i back him in with an early pick for us.

Unfortunately I don’t think any club is positioned to do that deal, aside from West Coast who seems like they will be trading pick 13

This is it. You can’t tell me this draft is so different to every other draft. Seems even but the top few crystallize and it’s always the guy we need as you point out.

And… if it’s so bloody even why does anyone care about dropping 8 back to 22 if we can have a pick at the top as well.

Because you are picking from the best of an even field not the scraps that high. Just not sure there is anyone I'd lose my mind over enough to pay to move up. Players some rate as pick 2 might still be there at pick 7 or 8.

Langford and Reid could be there at 7 or 8 or both gone. Lalor could go pick 4 or pick 10. It really is lottery this year.

And Smith from north , how many times are we going to go down this path

It's not the same. It's a kid with some concussions who on talent is potentially the best in the draft. If he's there with our second round pick and clears a medical I'd think you'd be crazy to write him off.

We took Smith knowing he was probably cooked but hoping for a miracle.

It's not the same. It's a kid with some concussions who on talent is potentially the best in the draft. If he's there with our second round pick and clears a medical I'd think you'd be crazy to write him off.

The OP was for our 2nd round pick, which we definitely should do!

Paddy was cleared to play again and look how that worked out at Sydney , You really don't believe concussion fixes itself I hope.
Id rather pick up a kid that has done his ACL than a bloke with concussion issues at 18 years of age.

I can see it now , we pick him up and it goes pear shaped and you will go off and blame the club for stupid decisions

Dalrymple previewing the 2019 draft is amusing to watch in hindsight. A lot of parallels to how this draft is being viewed (lacking in top end talent, but with a lot of depth in terms of midfielders).

Yet for the perceived lack of top end talent it produced Rowell, Anderson, Jackson, Young, Serong, Green, Flanders, Pickett, Day, SDK in the top 20 alone.

Don't really know what my point is here but all the notions of drafts being strong / weak or comparable one year to the next can get flipped on their head pretty quickly once the proof starts emerging from the pudding.

Dalrymple previewing the 2019 draft is amusing to watch in hindsight. A lot of parallels to how this draft is being viewed (lacking in top end talent, but with a lot of depth in terms of midfielders).

Yet for the perceived lack of top end talent it produced Rowell, Anderson, Jackson, Young, Serong, Green, Flanders, Pickett, Day, SDK in the top 20 alone.

Don't really know what my point is here but all the notions of drafts being strong / weak or comparable one year to the next can get flipped on their head pretty quickly once the proof starts emerging from the pudding.

And he took one of the only two busts in the front end with pick 5 on Dylan Stephens. Blew 26 on Will Gould, 36 on Elijah Taylor before taking Chad Warner.

Also traded Darcy Cameron and pick 62 for pick 56.

What really sucks is we gave up the Elijah Taylor pick for Zac Jones. Could have taken Chad Warner instead. Or Keidean Coleman.

3 times in 15 years?

Not that much of a pattern is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May not be a pattern as you say but now more that ever with Tazzie coming in we need to nail our picks not be going all lucky dip and hoping for the best

The way they look after players these days as they should the kid may only be a couple more head knocks away from never playing again.

That maybe a little dramatic but I think you get where I'm coming from

And he took one of the only two busts in the front end with pick 5 on Dylan Stephens. Blew 26 on Will Gould, 36 on Elijah Taylor before taking Chad Warner.

Also traded Darcy Cameron and pick 62 for pick 56.

What really sucks is we gave up the Elijah Taylor pick for Zac Jones. Could have taken Chad Warner instead. Or Keidean Coleman.
Reckon Elijah had enough to make a nice career in the AFL before he was found out with the DV.

If he had taken chad warner at 5 no one would be complaining now about missing the later picks. But everyone would have been shocked on that draft night.

I suspect if he was drafting for a Vic based club the selections would have differed,

Which saints draft year do these highlights this remind you of.

I’m sure he has learnt from his draft misses and how they will fit into the club they are going to

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back