2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Abysmal isn’t the word. He just wasn’t as prolific. Averaged 20 across the champs and still showed his elite traits and that was clearance work. If he wasn’t talked about as a potential number 1 people would be losing their minds on him and his upside if you look at purely what he’s done this year. And also what he can be in 5 years time. I don’t see bust at all with him purely because how good he is below his knees and his clearance work. Insanely powerful and has performed in the Australian games against senior opposition.
And tbh that form query applies to FOs and Lalor too. Whether Smilie makes it or not I’m not sure and I probably have a little more faith in the other two, but basing it solely on the Champs is a bit narrow.

Though, I could certainly see us over looking him for Travaglia or someone else

Abysmal isn’t the word. He just wasn’t as prolific. Averaged 20 across the champs and still showed his elite traits and that was clearance work. If he wasn’t talked about as a potential number 1 people would be losing there minds on him and his upside if you look at purely what he’s done this year. And also what he can be in 5 years time. I don’t see bust at all with him purely because how good he is below his knees and his clearance work. Insanely powerful and has performed in the Australian games against senior opposition.

**** he looked lazy and soft for a lot of it. He's talented enough to go in second gear and still perform okay but he really looked like he lacks the competitive spirit of guys like Reid and Langford who wanted to show everyone how good they were every game. Perhaps he's coasting because he knows he'll go high and doesn't want to end up in the west or something but it was a worry to me.

And tbh that form query applies to FOs and Lalor too. Whether Smilie makes it or not I’m not sure and I probably have a little more faith in the other two, but basing it solely on the Champs is a bit narrow.

Though, I could certainly see us over looking him for Travaglia or someone else

Absolutely. FOS looked like the best player in the draft but had a really ordinary year. Injury gives him some leeway but didn't impress. Lalor had injury too but didn't perform well in the Champs. It's still the best of the peer group comp so you have to take it seriously.

Jagga has performed at every level he went to. Reid and Langford too. You have to regard that highly. Talent alone can only take you so far.

Like both Travaglia and Lindsay, admittedly based only on highlights.

The Metro v Country game is the match that seems to bring out the most competitive games of the Champs and they all seem to get up for it. Both looked great in that. Lindsay was BOG, Travaglia not far behind. I thought Lindsay was an upmarket Ben Paton before that, he looks like a serious player now. He's a bit no frills but has drive.

2019 - our first draft pick was Ryan Byrnes (pick 52)
2020 - our first draft pick was Matthew Allison (pick 26 - delisted)
2021 - our first draft pick was Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (pick 11)
2022 - our first draft pick was Mattaes Phillipou (pick 10)
2023 - our first draft pick was Darcy Wilson (pick 18)

These have been our top picks for the last half decade.

As far as we can presently tell, we have nailed our first picks 2021-2023, almost miraculously if you ask me but obviously there is much water to go under the bridge yet.

And so importantly, this upcoming draft, next month, will see us have our EARLIEST pick (7) AND our second earliest pick (8) since Max King (2018, pick 4), 6 years ago.

Next year we target Free Agents, and soon after Tassie will devour the draft. We already have a strong contingent of young developing players in the system. Players 24 and under, such as Max King, Mitch Owens, Marcus Windhager and Liam Henry, all with great promise.

Not to mention we have ADEL 2nd rounder, and the potential to trade in more picks and find some diamonds in the rough.

And so this year, with not only one but two bites at the apple, in a midfield heavy top 10, there will be no profounder opportunity to establish our list for the rest of the decade than this draft. It is simply massive.

And for any supporters who hold hope for this club, this is as good of an impetus as any, to dare to dream.

The Metro v Country game is the match that seems to bring out the most competitive games of the Champs and they all seem to get up for it. Both looked great in that. Lindsay was BOG, Travaglia not far behind. I thought Lindsay was an upmarket Ben Paton before that, he looks like a serious player now. He's a bit no frills but has drive.
Lindsay is a likely top 5 based not only on outplaying most those ranked above him in the championships but because he is the best U18 kick, isn't slow and has only his PCL as a negative. Ignore the fact that in the plethora of almost identical lists he comes in close to or beyond our 2 slots, he's v unlikely to get to us unless we trade up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first Nicky Dal Santo clone in 20 years.

2019 - our first draft pick was Ryan Byrnes (pick 52)
2020 - our first draft pick was Matthew Allison (pick 26 - delisted)
2021 - our first draft pick was Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (pick 11)
2022 - our first draft pick was Mattaes Phillipou (pick 10)
2023 - our first draft pick was Darcy Wilson (pick 18)

These have been our top picks for the last half decade.

As far as we can presently tell, we have nailed our first picks 2021-2023, almost miraculously if you ask me but obviously there is much water to go under the bridge yet.

And so importantly, this upcoming draft, next month, will see us have our EARLIEST pick (7) AND our second earliest pick (8) since Max King (2018, pick 4), 6 years ago.

Next year we target Free Agents, and soon after Tassie will devour the draft. We already have a strong contingent of young developing players in the system. Players 24 and under, such as Max King, Mitch Owens, Marcus Windhager and Liam Henry, all with great promise.

Not to mention we have ADEL 2nd rounder, and the potential to trade in more picks and find some diamonds in the rough.

And so this year, with not only one but two bites at the apple, in a midfield heavy top 10, there will be no profounder opportunity to establish our list for the rest of the decade than this draft. It is simply massive.

And for any supporters who hold hope for this club, this is as good of an impetus as any, to dare to dream.
I’d trade one of the picks for two picks in the early teens, IMO that strategy would be a no brainer OR trade up for Norths pick and take one of the top three players.

Cal with the drive by in support of FOS, uses his possessions and doesn't care about big numbers.... said it wasn't in relation to other specific players but there's a guy looking like pick one who gets a lot of one-twos...
Wank of a call by Cal.

If he’s referring to Ashcroft, his consistency is absolutely ridiculous.

If it’s Jagga, he weighs less that one of my morning shits, but dominates at every level… went up to the VFL and still flogged much bigger opponents.

He’s just shitty Injectington keeps ****ing up their picks.

Wait until the night and see if someone is willing to pay massive overs. Otherwise just hit the two picks, should be two beauties at that point.

For sure.

I think we will nab a couple of guns at 7+8 but there's gold in the late 1st round as well.

If a team sees something they really like at 8 then I hope we can take advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back